my puppy act like this

vicwhliew
Dog Kichi

Mar 13, 2007, 6:59 PM

Post #1 of 23 (4502 views)
Shortcut
my puppy act like this Can't Post

hi,

i would like to know that if a puppy take ur clothes run here and there. is that normal behavior for a puppy?

chrisong
Doggyman

Mar 13, 2007, 7:01 PM

Post #2 of 23 (4500 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vicwhliew] my puppy act like this [In reply to] Can't Post

Perfectly normal playful puppy

vicwhliew
Dog Kichi

Mar 13, 2007, 7:04 PM

Post #3 of 23 (4499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] my puppy act like this [In reply to] Can't Post

do i need train him not to act like this?

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 13, 2007, 11:39 PM

Post #4 of 23 (4491 views)
Shortcut

whenever he took it, juz stop him...or scold him,....try avoid chasing....if u can't, juz ignore him...

puppy r in a learning stage....if u keep ur clothes away frm his reach during this growing period, he won't learn this naughty behaviour....n when he had grown mature a little, he won't even care about ur laying clothes around d house..

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Mar 14, 2007, 11:05 AM

Post #5 of 23 (4479 views)
Shortcut

Awww...sounds cute but dont make a habit. Distract your pup by giving a toy. Everytime your pup does that, stop it right there and lure your pup with a chew toys. Frown
Dog behaviorist.

vicwhliew
Dog Kichi

Mar 14, 2007, 5:43 PM

Post #6 of 23 (4477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lady Eloise] my puppy act like this [In reply to] Can't Post

we trow the toy to him but he still got a bad habit is sleeping at the dirty clothes i dunno what i can do about this

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Mar 15, 2007, 2:19 AM

Post #7 of 23 (4467 views)
Shortcut

dont throw the toys to him, instead encourage him to trade with u for a toy or treat. the next time he runs away with ur sock, jz ignore him...whoop out his toy or treat, call him to u. the moment he drop ur sock, say DROP or any other word u like to associate the action with a word. then praise & treat. practise & he'l learn this quick

good luck

cheers

ezekiel 25:17

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Mar 15, 2007, 11:03 AM

Post #8 of 23 (4455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] my puppy act like this [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
dont throw the toys to him, instead encourage him to trade with u for a toy or treat. the next time he runs away with ur sock, jz ignore him...whoop out his toy or treat, call him to u. the moment he drop ur sock, say DROP or any other word u like to associate the action with a word. then praise & treat. practise & he'l learn this quick

good luck

cheers

Yes, I agree..luring is a good trade between clothes and his toys. However, I think your pup is teething too. Try spraying things you do not want him to teeth on with "Bitter apple" spray, available at supermarkets and pet stores. Buy him a chew toy and teach him it is acceptable to teeth on that by playing fetch.

You cannot "make" this go away sooner, sorry. That's part of owning a puppy. Or buy Kong and stuff it with peanut butter inside.

Good luck.

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

vicwhliew
Dog Kichi

Mar 16, 2007, 5:31 PM

Post #9 of 23 (4441 views)
Shortcut

not only this. for me he have a strange behavior to travel to another place. we decide not to put him in cage so put him in car. he suppose sleep on the cushion but he not he sleep at my gf breast area or when my gf lying on the floor he also reach that area to sleep. any member can tell me how to encounter it.

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Mar 16, 2007, 6:16 PM

Post #10 of 23 (4439 views)
Shortcut

ive always wanted to crate train zeus for travellin purposes...but this is somethin that ive failed miserably... Unsure

anyway ive given up since cuz zeus is too active inthe car, therefore i leave him as he is in the car. if with another passenger, i'l harness him up.

how old is ur pup??? u jz got him right? sleepin near ur gf brings him warmth, affection & the calm feelins of safe that he needed as a pup. being close to u or ur gf is jz wat he wants to do when he's tired or quiet. simple to put it, give him some time...he'l grow outta it. this does not mean that he's a pervetic pup that wants to be close to a chick's chest.

cheers

dunno whether i'l succeed in crate trainin my next jrt??? Tongue

Milosevic
Novice

Mar 16, 2007, 6:25 PM

Post #11 of 23 (4436 views)
Shortcut

Aha,

He thinks your gf is his gf as well! Thus, he is being dominant to her. It is your job as the owner to ask your dog to settle down by himself. Even you have to tell him off 10-15 times and eventually he will stop climbing over someone chest or tummy. When he finally give up, rewards him with treat. If he begs or tries to climb on your gf, stop him ask him to sit and down and ignore him. In the car if your dog is getting excited because of the vibrations or movements, I suggest you try giving your dog a half cup of tea (30 mins before traveling) preferably plain and organic Chamomile /camomile tea.

Be patient.

Frown
woof woof

(This post was edited by Milosevic on Mar 16, 2007, 6:33 PM)

quincy1802
Novice

Mar 16, 2007, 7:31 PM

Post #12 of 23 (4426 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Milosevic] my puppy act like this [In reply to] Can't Post

coz now "cash" stay with me more than my bf , of course he will be more close to me , but sleep at my breast area seems like his favourite pasrt of daily routine. when i in car, at bed , even laying at cushion also he will come and sleep at my breast area, my bf kinda dun like he has this kind of behaviour , but these few day "cash" cough , so quit pity him and i dont wanna scold him.

actually do you guys dogs have this kind of behaviour ? is it normal ?

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Mar 18, 2007, 12:20 PM

Post #13 of 23 (4415 views)
Shortcut
Re: [quincy1802] my puppy act like this [In reply to] Can't Post

Puppies are generally big suck regardless they are male or female. It is normal. They love a human contact and like to behave/pretend like our baby.

Preferably, a dog should sit beside you ..not on the lap. Thats why small dogs (if you observe carefully) like yapping and difficult to control/train sometimes. Just because they are cute, we- owner doesn't mean we have to put them in the same height standard as a human. It makes them to think they are the same position with us especially if you let them sit on your lap. Moreover, dogs which sit on your lap are considered as dominant, manipulative or alpha (bossy). If you are okay with it, carry on but make sure you keep your eyes on his 'dominant' side by asking him to lay down beside you. Thus, he is not too dominating to both of you. We don't want a dog which is too dominant. We want a submissive dog- obedience, sweet, balance, easy and listen to us more.

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Mar 18, 2007, 12:34 PM)

Dog Kichi

Mar 20, 2007, 6:16 PM

Post #14 of 23 (4386 views)
Shortcut

I've come across an article on the dominance issue which I think i should share with u and the rest of the forum members.

Debunking the Dominance Myth

Are dogs lying awake at night plotting a coup?

By Pamela Buitrago, CPDT, CTC

Have you ever wondered if your dog is dominant? Chances are you have, if only because over the last half century, every canine misbehavior from house soiling to door dashing has been deemed a “dominance” problem.

Your dog growls at visitors? Dominance, say well-meaning friends. He doesn’t always come when called? He’s telling you he’s boss, according to popular dog books. She pulls on leash or jumps up to greet you? She’s declaring alpha status. He prefers couches to floors? Watch out!

Perhaps the most unlikely behaviors heard attributed to dominance are coprophagia (stool eating) and fetching a ball.

How did dominance become one of the most popular and unthinking labels ever bandied about in dog circles?

A catchy concept

The concept of dominance — or “alpha,” meaning the highest ranked individual — originally came from some studies of wolf packs in the 1940s. The concept was catchy, and when it trickled down to popular dog culture, it took hold with the power of mythology. It quickly became “common knowledge” that domestic dogs are naturally dominant or will become so if their people tolerate certain behaviors. These dogs, it was claimed, will constantly challenge and test their owners until they are forcefully shown human leadership.

So-called dominance exercises were — and in some circles still are — widely recommended to prevent the dog from taking over the entire household. These exercises include not feeding him until after you’ve eaten, letting him through doorways only after you, forbidding access to furniture, and not playing tug-of-war.

In reality, there is no evidence that these procedures prevent dominance aggression or any other behavioral problem. In fact, one study found no correlation between playing tug-of-war or allowing a dog on the bed and the development of aggressive behavior.

Extreme treatment

Beyond those exercises, many authors and trainers urged owners to hold or force their dogs into submissive positions, sometimes roughly, to the point of creating fearful responses. Today, some call these “gentling” exercises and recommend using them with puppies. For example, you roll or flip your puppy on her back, and don’t let her up until she stops resisting. The claim is beguilingly simple: by forcing a dog to assume a submissive posture and then rewarding her for tolerating it, you teach her to submit to your leadership. But notice the claim’s unspoken assumption that leadership is gained through force. In canine society, leadership is not won through brute physical domination. And a wide range of dogs with normal, sociable temperaments naturally will resist being forced on their backs, even to the point of defensive aggression. Humans are not that different. Think how you would react if your boss established his or her “leadership” by physical force!

The technique has morphed further into a facile test of dominance. Force a dog on his back, and if he resists, he’s dominant! Instant (albeit wrong) diagnoses have wide appeal in homes, animal shelters, obedience schools, and even veterinary clinics.

Some so-called experts even suggest using violent techniques like scruff shakes and alpha rolls.

At the extreme end, some trainers once advocated downright abusive methods, such as hanging a dog by a choke chain and leash (called helicoptering) until she passed out, or forcing her head underwater until she lost consciousness.

These tactics were considered treatment for behaviors as mild as digging or as serious as aggression.

Flaws of the wolf-pack studies

Unfortunately, our preoccupation with doggy dominance hasn’t served us or our dogs well, according to many behaviorists and trainers, including Pat Miller, a well-known author and trainer. To begin with, the concept is based on outdated and flawed science. Influential behaviorist Dr. Ian Dunbar outlines three major flaws of the studies of wolf packs in the 1930s and 1940s. First, they were short-term and focused on the most obvious facet of wolf life, namely hunting. As a result, the studies gathered unrepresentative data and drew rather sweeping conclusions about wolf behavior (and later, dog behavior) based on about 1% of wolf life.

Second, the researchers observed what are now known to be ritualistic displays and

misinterpreted them. The bulk of dominance mythology comes from these misinterpretations.

Take alpha rolls. The early researchers thought that the higher-ranking wolf forcibly rolled subordinate wolves to exert his dominance. Modern studies have shown that alpha rolls are part of an appeasement ritual offered voluntarily by the subordinate wolf, not forced by the superior.

A subordinate wolf offers his muzzle, and when the higher-ranking wolf “pins” it, the

subordinate rolls over and presents his belly. There is no force. Canine behaviorist Jean Donaldson, author of the award-winning book The Culture Clash, says, “The truth is, there is not one documented case of a wolf forcefully rolling another wolf to the ground. Nor is there one case of a mother wolf (or dog) ‘scruff-shaking’ her puppies.”

A wolf would flip another wolf against its will only if he were planning to kill it. The same goes for a mother shaking her pup by the scruff. Both are rare events. The third flaw was that the researchers made some wild extrapolations from their data. Their first leap of logic was applying their conclusions to dogs. Their second was applying them to humancanine interactions.

Dogs aren’t watered-down wolves

The fact is, dogs aren’t wolves. Wolves are dogs’ closest relatives — just as chimpanzees are ours — but dogs became a separate species possibly as long as 135,000 years ago. Although dogs retain some characteristics of wolves and other canids, thousands of years of domestication, co-evolution with humans, and selective breeding have changed them profoundly.

Dunbar once said, “Saying ‘I want to interact with my dog better, so I’ll learn from the wolves’ makes about as much sense as saying ‘I want to improve my parenting — let’s see how the chimps do it.’”

Applying the wolf studies to human-canine interactions was nonsense, according to Dunbar. Despite the flimsy evidence, books and methods abounded, exhorting owners to be “leader of the pack.” They portrayed an adversarial human-canine relationship and advocated combative training methods that relied on force, punishment, and even pain. After all, force was thought to be necessary to put ambitious dogs in their place.

In her book Dog Friendly Dog Training, Andrea Arden writes, “Rather than teaching our best friends, we were advised to physically dominate our dog to bring him into line.”

In stark contrast to the popular myth of wolves (and dogs) ruling with an iron paw, however, wolves’ and dogs’ social structure is much more complex, flexible, and subtle.

Benevolent leadership

Based on better and longer studies of canines, scientists have learned that the mark of a true leader is the ability to control without force, according to Dr. Myrna Milani, a veterinarian and behaviorist. She points out that, in the wild, animals who rule with brute force get eliminated from the gene pool, because force requires so much energy and puts the animals at high risk of death, injury, or predation. Instead, the vast majority of alpha dogs lead benevolently. They do not stoop to physical domination to prove their points. They don’t need to. They lead through subtle psychological control, such as confident posture, withering glances, staring, stalking, dogging (persistently hassling), barking, or growling. It’s all ritualistic. Day-to-day interactions are based largely on deferential and cooperative behaviors, and conflicts are settled by elaborate displays designed to inhibit aggression or turn off threats. So despite popular myth, alpha does not mean physically dominant or most aggressive. It means in control of resources. A leader is one who has earned the right to control whatever resources he or she thinks are important. What’s important is flexible. It changes depending on the dog’s motivation, the context, and the situation at the moment. So an alpha dog might give up a prime sleeping place because he couldn’t care less, or relinquish a succulent bone because she’s lost interest.

Maintaining order through submission

Another assumption of pack theory was that wolves, and therefore dogs, organized themselves in a fixed, linear dominance hierarchy — a chicken-like pecking order in which the dominant animals maintain order by threatening and intimidating underlings.

Now experts agree that wolves form an appeasement (also called subordinance) hierarchy, in which subordinate animals maintain order through active displays of submission and deference.

Donaldson offers the Army as a human analogy. Lower-ranking soldiers first salute their superiors with a flourish and then get a cursory salute in return. This is a classic appeasement hierarchy. A general doesn’t enter a room and throw his weight around. He simply appears and everyone starts saluting. But going beyond observations of wolf behavior, modern researchers have studied the behavior of village, feral, and companion dogs to understand canine social structures better.

These scientists observed loose social structures that were flexible and unpredictable. The structures observed were determined more by factors like food availability and human intervention than by any innate sense of social hierarchy. These same experts now emphasize the importance of treating the domestic dog as the distinct species it is, not as a sort of watered-down wolf.

Problems with the dominance label

Another main flaw of dominance theory is the term itself. A cornerstone of science is precise, unambiguous definitions that facilitate communication. Ethological terms like dominance are not precise definitions but are constructs used to label and summarize a range of behaviors. One problem with constructs, psychologists Drs. Garry Martin and Joseph Pear point out, is that they lead to circular reasoning.

For example, a dog that growls when approached near her food bowl might be labeled dominant. Then if you ask the owner why the dog growls, she’ll answer, “Because she’s dominant.” So the label becomes a pseudoexplanation for the behavior.

The label also can affect the way the animal is treated. The dominance label has been used to justify punishing dogs, especially those that react defensively to force-based training methods. The label also tends to focus attention on problem behaviors rather than on teaching and rewarding good ones.

A related term, dominance aggression, is similarly problematic. What does it mean? There’s little scientific consensus on how to define it academically, much less on how to identify it in the real world.

In Pet Behavior Protocols, Dr. Suzanne Hetts, an applied animal behaviorist, writes, “Sometimes it’s very difficult to categorize aggression more specifically than offensive or defensive. The behavioral descriptions of when aggression occurs and the associated body postures often don’t fit well into any of the classification schemes in the scientific literature on aggression. In addition, dogs may display more than one type of aggression, which contributes to the difficulty in categorization.”

If behavior as obvious as aggression is so difficult to categorize, how accurate can it be to label subtle, everyday behavior as “dominant”? It’s a judgment that presumes to understand dogs’ motives when, in fact, we have no idea what they’re thinking. There are dozens of possible causes, functions, or motives for any problem behavior.

Moving past the label

In many aggression cases, the history and description of the dogs’ behavior are inconsistent with our traditional understanding of dominance. So-called dominant dogs often show ambivalent, fearful, and anxious body language. They may shake and act very submissively during and after a bite. Studies show that dogs displaying “dominance aggression” get less exercise, are more fearful of people, are more excitable, and react more to high-pitched noises. All this is inconsistent with our notion of the fearless, dominant dog and suggests other factors at play in aggressive behavior.

Milosevic
Novice

Mar 21, 2007, 9:34 AM

Post #15 of 23 (4372 views)
Shortcut
Re: [8033] my puppy act like this [In reply to] Can't Post

Debunking the Dominance Myth

By Pamela Buitrago, CPDT, CTC

This article is so interesting 8033 but who is Pamela Buitrago (above). I would like see her training a 'Pittbull' in the real life, too. The reason I ask is simply because everybody has theories and every dogs are not the same. If she- the author did so much research and dont believe in 'dominance'

1)Why so many older dogs out there are aggressive and uncontrollable?

2)Why many dog's rehabilitation centre still adopt 'dominance' as part of correcting aggressive dogs?

3)Why the topic in the search engine which disagree with 'dominance' is less as compared to pro- dominance theory?

There is no clean cut in raising your dog. I share with people about behaviour theory. I hope people understand how to change behaviour so they can become good owners. If someone wants to be a"leader", someone like you start doing all sorts of irrational things i.e cut and paste about debunking the myth. In raising a dog the most importantly is to understand your dog and take all the theories which suit you as a guidance and left the ineffective ones.

Professionals often suggest on how to change behaviour first using old method of dominance issues. However, it doesnt mean you have to beat your dog and let them do whatever. When I see things like "my dog cant stop barking and aggressive toward children etc", I cringe because I know the person who asked the question is going away empty-handed without proper guidance. Whatever their question was wasn't answered directly and the same old problems will keep happening and they'll think that they have a dog who can't be trained. That is a sad. That person goes away and does all the things they are told to do, and have no idea that they are STILL reinforcing the same old behaviour they want to get rid of and no idea how to rehabilitate the behaviour they want to see. In other words - they are not being an effective leader! And that poor dog is not getting any leadership from their owner, and what's more - he/she is taking the blame!

'Dominance' is about the dog respecting your authority and knowing you don't let them push you around no matter who goes in the door first, or eats first. That is irrelevant. Also I want to add that I am trying to enlighten people and share knowledge but I tend to lose hope when people cant seem to learn these 'dominance' things for themselves BEFORE getting a dog which they then create dominance aggression in a dog, ends up biting them and getting abandoned or put to sleep because of it. It isn't YOU I am worried about its all the dogs in the hands of some ignorant author above who is so busy debunking myth to sell her books but there are more dogs with the same problems over and over again out there especially in Malaysia without proper guidance and concrete theory.

Ps: Prefer Dr. Ian Dumbar theory.

Frown
woof woof

(This post was edited by Milosevic on Mar 21, 2007, 10:26 AM)

Dog Kichi

Mar 21, 2007, 8:20 PM

Post #16 of 23 (4353 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Milosevic] my puppy act like this [In reply to] Can't Post

So I’m being “irrational” by sharing something with others? LOL … its just a reference for people on the “dominance” issue and nothing else. I really dont understand why are u making a big fuss about this.

Ps : u are just another ignorant ass that makes me feel sick to the stomach.

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Mar 22, 2007, 10:17 AM

Post #17 of 23 (4340 views)
Shortcut

Come on lah,

I can only contrast your assumption with that only if we could stop bikering and name- calling one and another for the purpose of helping others here. By presenting our opinion with better argument up to you to disregard any claims or vice versa. Cut and paste wont solve any issues! Moreover, experts like Ian Dumbar and Cesar Millan have proven that behavioural change will not be successful without changing the roles, habits, attitudes, motives, priorities and teachings of the owner- that lie sequentially behind this dominance issues! Maybe it's not for you but it works for me though.

Cheer up..

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Mar 22, 2007, 11:00 AM)

Dog Kichi

Mar 22, 2007, 4:57 PM

Post #18 of 23 (4324 views)
Shortcut

never did i say that the method/theory u guys apply or firmly believed in now are incorrect. the only reason i cut and paste the article here is bcoz i found it quite interesting and it certainly makes me think.

unfortunately, there are alot of close minded people who think they know it all simply cannot accept or rather not even willing to be exposed to other opnions. thats sad...

i'm done here..

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Mar 22, 2007, 6:06 PM

Post #19 of 23 (4316 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
never did i say that the method/theory u guys apply or firmly believed in now are incorrect. the only reason i cut and paste the article here is bcoz i found it quite interesting and it certainly makes me think. makes me wonder some lowlife naive like u can really think

unfortunately, there are alot of close minded people who think they know it all simply cannot accept or rather not even willing to be exposed to other opnions. thats sad... talkin abt someone whose plannin to steal a doggie that he thought "abused" & cant look at the bright side...now that's SAD!

i'm done here..

Milosevic
Novice

Mar 22, 2007, 7:30 PM

Post #20 of 23 (4301 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
never did i say that the method/theory u guys apply or firmly believed in now are incorrect. the only reason i cut and paste the article here is bcoz i found it quite interesting and it certainly makes me think.

unfortunately, there are alot of close minded people who think they know it all simply cannot accept or rather not even willing to be exposed to other opnions. thats sad...

i'm done here..

Maybe the owner (like you) needs to be rehabilitated and some trainings. Not a dog! (Sorry, I cant help it....)Sly
woof woof

(This post was edited by Milosevic on Mar 22, 2007, 7:31 PM)

Dog Kichi

Mar 22, 2007, 10:13 PM

Post #21 of 23 (4290 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] my puppy act like this [In reply to] Can't Post

naughty boy i think i better neuter u before u start spraying all over the place. hmm...it would be better to de-bark u also. ok boy boy, lets go to the vet now!

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Mar 22, 2007, 10:24 PM

Post #22 of 23 (4285 views)
Shortcut

are u chokin???

Milosevic
Novice

Mar 24, 2007, 7:54 AM

Post #23 of 23 (4261 views)
Shortcut

I hope you are not going to eat spaghetti and that meat balls!

Frown
woof woof

(This post was edited by Milosevic on Mar 24, 2007, 7:55 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my