Home: Behavioral Problems: Barking & Growling Problems:
barking problems

Andrewchiujs
Novice

Mar 10, 2007, 5:08 AM

Post #1 of 15 (15948 views)
Shortcut
barking problems Can't Post

my new pup has a problem it keeps barks whenever it's tied up at night..and also it keep bite things like shoes and wooden stuff..it is a mixed of GR and a GS can any1 tell me how to find a solution to this?

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Mar 10, 2007, 6:02 PM

Post #2 of 15 (15943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrewchiujs] barking problems [In reply to] Can't Post

ever tryin to tie him up in daytime for short intervals to get him accustom to it???

for his chewin habits, have u safe chewin toys & treats to fill his time???

ezekiel 25:17

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Mar 11, 2007, 6:36 PM

Post #3 of 15 (15933 views)
Shortcut

I dont understand why you have to tie up your dog? I mean, dont you trust your puppy enough? Tying your dog is not the best option if you ask me. You should crate-training your puppy. If you doesnt like the idea of putting in the crate, you could try giving your puppy toys and keep busy. Chew toys or dog bones are the best to keep your pyppy occupies.
Dog behaviorist.

YanYan
Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2007, 2:16 AM

Post #4 of 15 (15931 views)
Shortcut

Chaining a dog goes against its natural instincts. Dogs were not meant to be chained. Most become protective

of the area around them and in some cases, down right mean, even to their owners. They feel confined, trapped

and it drives them crazy. They are harder to train and some appear to be literally un-trainable when really they are just going stir crazy.

By the way,how long your new pup arrived to your house? Your pup need more time to adapt to his/her new environment and

yet you had tied him/her up. It will makes the pup feel even more afraid. And this will probably end up the pup will tend to bite more.

Not all dogs will be biters if chained, but all dogs would be happier, with a better temperament, if they were not chained.

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Mar 12, 2007, 11:27 AM

Post #5 of 15 (15927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [YanYan] barking problems [In reply to] Can't Post

I could not agree with you more on that! Give me 'five'!! Instead there is no easy way to train your dog. Dogs are like your family members. Instead, try to learn how to take care of your dogs in more humane ways. There are more ways to discipline than chaining your dog!Frown
Dog behaviorist.

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Mar 12, 2007, 6:56 PM

Post #6 of 15 (15926 views)
Shortcut

its actually ok to leash up ur doggie when u feel the need. all most important is that u MUST NVR use this leashin up as a punishment for ur doggie. u can train ur doggie to adhere to leashin up whenever u have guests that are not comfortable with doggies visit ur home.

as for me, i'l put zeus in the balcony whenever we have guest comin, he's too rough for unfamiliar guest...so its actually up to u to make it work between u & ur doggie

cheers

ezekiel 25:17

YanYan
Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2007, 8:45 PM

Post #7 of 15 (15919 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lady Eloise] barking problems [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I could not agree with you more on that! Give me 'five'!! Instead there is no easy way to train your dog. Dogs are like your family members. Instead, try to learn how to take care of your dogs in more humane ways. There are more ways to discipline than chaining your dog!

Yeah!

Good day

chrisong
Doggyman

Mar 13, 2007, 5:38 AM

Post #8 of 15 (15902 views)
Shortcut

I don't believe in chaining & crate the dog.

This is not the right way to train a obedience dog.

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Mar 13, 2007, 9:59 AM

Post #9 of 15 (15896 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] barking problems [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't believe in chaining & crate the dog.

This is not the right way to train a obedience dog.

What is the right way? To let your dog wonder around the house and chew the wire and chords and choke?

Dogs are den animals, and do like a place to curl up in. Crates are a reasonable solution, as long as they are not used for punishment or the "convenience" of the owner.

If circumstances don't permit allowing the dog free range of the house for whatever reason (nonstop chewing, coitus interruptus, furniture destruction), and you don't have a yard, then we recommend a crate/baby gate combo :-) in a room like the kitchen or laundry room.

This lets the animal get some exercise, stretch, play freely with its toys, but still have the security of the crate.

I do think they have their uses, but we don't think ANYthing should be confined unwillingly. If the dog is trained to use it as a pup, then fine. We also don't feel they should be confined for longer than four hours. We currently have two large dogs that were rescued, thanks to a realtor, from spending the entire day in crates too small for them. Both have severe arthritis and require a lot of medication to be comfortable.

These instances are why crates have a bad rep. Used properly, they can be beneficial. We don't use them ourselves because we are fortunate to have a lot of acreage for our animals, but sometimes city folks don't have a lot of options.

Good luck to you.
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Mar 13, 2007, 10:00 AM)

chrisong
Doggyman

Mar 13, 2007, 5:04 PM

Post #10 of 15 (15890 views)
Shortcut

Spend more time with your dog is very important especially when you bring back a new pup. Observing their behaviour in the house. Once they start to misbehave correct them on the spot. Play with them & tired them out & remember buy some toys/treats for them when you not at home.

Yes, it required alot of your time to train them up this way. After few month you see how your pup will be more well behave when room freely in your house without biting off all your furniture & etcs.

I own 5dogs, last week one of my dog ran away due to careless of my parent didn't close the gate probably.

All of them run freely inside my house. Toilet train. Sleep with me in my room. No problem. Is a joy to own a obedience and well behave dogs.

You have your way to train yours dog I have mine. The goal is to train up a well behave dog.

For me crate & chain is definitely NO NO for my dogs.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Mar 13, 2007, 11:50 PM

Post #11 of 15 (15881 views)
Shortcut

I think crates are great. They teach the pup that the crate is a "safe" area and is for time-outs (not punishment but to relax). My pup,now a dog...loves his crate. I do no use it other than for transporting him but given the chance,he likes to stay in it. It feels cosy and secure.
You can try crating him and providing him with some bones/toys to keep him occupied. Feeding him in the crate will help too.
Do not keep him crated for too long. He is a puppy and he has to do his business often. U do not want him to get the habit of messing up his crate. It is a very stinky affair.Tongue He needs the exercise too..getting him tired might reduce the noise.
Also,to get him accustomed to the area...it would be good if u can supervise him while playing and telling him what he can/cannot bite and chew on the spot.
Good luck! Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Andrewchiujs
Novice

Mar 15, 2007, 5:52 AM

Post #12 of 15 (15853 views)
Shortcut

Ok thanks guys...my old dogs in johor are less troublesome as they are mongrels..and whenever they do something like biting a shoe we use the shoe to hit it..but not too hard..just for it to know its wrong..and ah my dogs rome freely outside without not coming back they know how to come back themselves...but wont be a good idea in KL though...anyway tq for ur advice guys appreciate it

RMastiff
Novice

May 1, 2007, 4:14 AM

Post #13 of 15 (15688 views)
Shortcut

If your dog still has barking prob then try this which I was introduced by my friend, it is call PetSafe and it works. They come in ultrasonic sound or lemon spray (automatic when barks) to irritate the dog's nose.

Go get it from your local petstores. Good luck!

RMastiff
Novice

May 1, 2007, 4:14 AM

Post #14 of 15 (15688 views)
Shortcut

If your dog still has barking prob then try this which I was introduced by my friend, it is call PetSafe and it works. They come in ultrasonic sound or lemon spray (automatic when barks) to irritate the dog's nose.

Go get it from your local petstores. Good luck!

vckloong
Novice

Apr 27, 2008, 8:50 PM

Post #15 of 15 (13550 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Dog behavioural problems are sometimes worrisome.

If you guys need an expert or consultant's advice from the United States you can visit www.dogtrainster.com.

They have pretty good information there as well as certified consultants there to help you out.

Vincent
www.dogtrainster.com - Ultimate Resource and Tips for Dog Training
www.dogtrainster.com - Ultimate Resource and Tips for Dog Training

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my