Home: Behavioral Problems: Humping Problem:
female humping after being spay

melrob10
New User

Mar 7, 2007, 3:25 AM

Post #1 of 3 (8555 views)
Shortcut
female humping after being spay Can't Post

I have a 1 year old mix female dog that just got spayed about 2 weeks ago and she just started humping my other female dogs. Is that normal and what can I do to stop it?? When she does do it I tell her "No" and she stops or my other dogs growl and push her away. She never did that before the spay and it concerns me now. Can anyone give me some input?? Thank you.

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Mar 12, 2007, 11:38 AM

Post #2 of 3 (8537 views)
Shortcut
Re: [melrob10] female humping after being spay [In reply to] Can't Post

No worries! In a dog's world, regardless your dog is female or male and female with female, it depends which dog is a pack leader (usually dominant) type and follower. In your case it shows that she is the dominant leader type versus the female submissive follower ones. I once saw a female dog (spayed) tried to hump my male 'puppy' Lab. In addition, your dog is likely to show she is the boss! It means she is the leader even to you without you realizing it. However, a female dominant dog is well-known for being protective towards the owner (you) better.

You are right, you should not encourage her! Keep telling her off or buy a water spray/water pistol (made for kids) and every time she does that, spray her gently. It will teach her not to do the 'humping performance'. It is not acceptable especially when she tries to dominate other submissive dogs. They should play nicely not humping each other!

In my observation, female dominant dogs are likely to create more behavioral issues than female or any males submissive ones for this reason. Good luck and keep your eyes on her dominant side! Reward good behavior, stop her bad behavior!

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Mar 12, 2007, 12:00 PM)

melrob10
New User

Mar 12, 2007, 5:07 PM

Post #3 of 3 (8527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lady Eloise] female humping after being spay [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for the advice!!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my