Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Canine Distemper, Parvo, Kennel Cough,...:
canine distemper

poesplayhouse
New User

Feb 21, 2007, 12:30 PM

Post #1 of 5 (9808 views)
Shortcut
canine distemper Can't Post

I recently had a 4 month old puppy die from distemper on valentines day. I recieved her 2 weeks before then from a pound. After waiting 3 days ,after putting her to sleep, we purchased another puppy about 7 weeks old from a breeder. I have read that the virus does not last long outside the dogs body but just to be sure , I shampood all the carpets in the house and sprayed everything with lysol. I have had my puppy now for a couple of days and i am hearing different things like it takes weeks or months for the virus to go away. I am now very scared for my new puppy to get this horrible diesease. I would appreciate comments on how long the virus stays alive outside the infected dogs body and are any cleaning solutions to get rid of it ?

Thanks soo much!

Scared mommy

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Feb 21, 2007, 5:24 PM

Post #2 of 5 (9806 views)
Shortcut
Re: [poesplayhouse] canine distemper [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

so sorry to hear this...i'm not very sure about canine distemper...but what i know for parvovirus is that it is advisable that you only bring in another new pup after 6 mths gap from the 1st incident. As for the toys n other stuff used by the initial pup, they should be properly disinfected or discarded if necessary.

so, i think for all these deadly diseases, it's advisable that we wait for at least a gap of 6 mths juz to be safe. however, since u already bought another new pup, i would think the best is, don let the new pup use any of the previous stuff/toys. has she been vaccinated yet? pls consult vet as well on the necessary precaution.

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

poesplayhouse
New User

Feb 21, 2007, 6:31 PM

Post #3 of 5 (9803 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] canine distemper [In reply to] Can't Post

She has had her first vaccination which covers distemper and parvo ,but the vet told me they are not fully safe from the diesease until all boosters are given at about 16 weeks. I do know that parvo stays active for a long period of time but still not sure about distemper because it affects the nervous system.

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Feb 21, 2007, 8:52 PM

Post #4 of 5 (9800 views)
Shortcut
Re: [poesplayhouse] canine distemper [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

yup...normally they are considered fully protected after the 3rd jab. at 1st jab, still very prone to disease.

i think the best is to seek vet advise on this.

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

reneewong

Dec 28, 2007, 6:21 AM

Post #5 of 5 (9241 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] canine distemper [In reply to] Can't Post

Distemper is not as resilient as Parvo in surviving outside the living organism - check out here :http://www.marvistavet.com/...anine_distemper.html

" The fatty envelope is easily disrupted in the environment which makes it impossible for infectious virus to persist in the environment. Because an intact fatty envelope is required for infection, virus transmission must involve dog to dog contact or at least contact with extremely fresh (less than 30 minutes old) infected body secretions. As with other viruses, living virus happily freezes and can survive for years if kept frozen and protected from light. Routine disinfection and cleaning readily kills the distemper virus in the kennel setting."

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my