Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Escape Artist

^CYTRQ^
Novice

Feb 19, 2007, 6:18 AM

Post #1 of 7 (2200 views)
Shortcut
Escape Artist Can't Post

Hi everyone. I'd just like to give you a brief background of the problem I've been having for quite a long while now. I have a 4 year old Labrador who's a little too intelligent for her own good. She started to like to escape from the house compound when she was about a year old. Our house used to have chain-link fencing surrounding the perimeter of the garden and due to its flimsy and unsecured nature, it would be subject to my dog's pushing and scratching. So much so that she'd just stick her head under the fencing and push her way through to the other side - either to my neighbour's house or to the road in front of the house. So we tried to block up the bottom of the fence with flower pots and anything we could find lying around the house, but to no avail. She'd just push through those objects to get through the fence. So we decided to have some renovation done to the house, which included building a 6 foot concrete wall with iron fencing around the house. We obviously thought that since the house was in desperate need of repair anyway, that this would do the trick in making the house look a little nicer and prevent our dog from getting out.

So for a few weeks after having our house nicely renovated with a nice sturdy brick wall surrounding our garden, we managed to keep our dog in. But one fine day, she was caught in the act of jumping up and climbing over the 6 foot wall that was built!! THERE ARE NOT EVEN ANY FOOTHOLES!! YES, she jumped, grabbed the top of the 6 foot wall with her front legs, and used her hind legs to claw her way over to our neighbour's house!!! I had to go to our neighbours' house to get her back everytime she did it and it is quite embarassing, although they said that it's ok since they love the dog too.

So this went on for many months with me trying to provide her with lots of chew toys, taking her for walks everyday at different times of the day, playing with her, bringing her inside the house to chill out and even letting her sleep in my room at night!

I'd say she has a good life in our house. She's always content when she's inside the house. Could it be because of lack of stimulus when in the garden? I don't think it's a case of separation anxiety, cos she doesn't make much of a fuss when she's alone. These days i keep her indoors most of the time as she's housebroken and doens't do any damage when alone indoors. But what can I do stop her from wanting to get out of the house in such an extreme way when unsupervised in the garden?

OR should I just resign to letting her stay indoors all the time? Mind you, keeping a lab indoors means tonnes of fur on everything, lots of vacuuming and mopping weekly and the occasional flea investation, which I control by using a spray insecticide on her.

I have no problem with keeping her indoors, but my brother makes a fuss.

Any behavioural remedies to this problem will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Feb 22, 2007, 9:29 PM

Post #2 of 7 (2183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [^CYTRQ^] Escape Artist [In reply to] Can't Post

Sound like your dog is suffering from a cabin -fever!

2 things- lack of activities and hormones. Have you taken your dogs for a walk regularly? I mean everyday for at least 30 mins 2 x a day or more? Lab is well-know for very high-energy true. Have you spayed her? Maybe she is in heat looking for males. If not, she might be bored. The key is exercise exercise exercise! Sound like she develops and accumulates extra energy. If you dont have time the least you could do is play throw and fetch for few minutes. If she is alone outside, give her chew toys or squeeky toys.
Maybe you should crate train her and limit her space just enough to lie down and move a little while you were gone. However, you need a timetable- play, rest, nap, play, eat, walk..!
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Feb 22, 2007, 9:35 PM)

^CYTRQ^
Novice

Feb 23, 2007, 1:32 AM

Post #3 of 7 (2176 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lady Eloise] Escape Artist [In reply to] Can't Post

Lady Eloise, thanks for your input. Your suspicions are pretty spot on. My dog's name is Jiggles. She hasn't been spayed yet and is now about 4 years old. The reason she's not spayed is because I have thought about breeding her one day. On the other hand, I feel as though I will not have the time to commit to the constant care whelping will require and am now thinking of having her spayed soon.

I take her out for a walk once a day for about 30 mins around my neighbourhood. Perhaps that's not enough? The problem with chew toys is that she gets bored of them pretty easily. The only thing that I can think of giving her to chew on is one of those boiled white cow bones that you buy from the pet store. Whilst those last for quite a long time, her interest in it does not (unless i coat it with pot roast gravy or something).

She has been crate trained, but personally, I don't like to leave her tied up or put in a crate. I wouldn't like to be crated myself.

I the whole gist of your argument is that Jiggles needs more stimulus to keep her busy and wear her out on her walks so she lacks the energy to do a Houdini on me. ;)

Any other suggestions?

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Feb 25, 2007, 7:16 PM

Post #4 of 7 (2164 views)
Shortcut

You must not thinking that crate training is inhumane for dogs. Studies have shown that crate training is the best for dogs especially puppies because it could stop them wandering around, attacking another creatures and destroy properties especially when their hormones are high. It creates a timetable for them and most dogs love it because it is like a 'sactuary' for them. However, crate is not for 5-10 hours. It is only for temporary.

I would strongly suggest that you spayed her after the heat cycle. The heat cycle could last for months. Of course she can be bored with toys because she wants a male to mate with. Like human, dogs need to reproduce. It would cost you quiet a lot. However, again studies have shown that dogs which have been spayed are less likely to have problems such as heart diseases, kidney failure, arthritis and Dysplasia. It certainly could calm her down. Dog which hasn't been spayed normally lead to aggression and out of control because of hormones. It is good for a long run! Spayed dogs are good because there are 100 of puppies out there are left without proper care, shelters and supervisions.

It is up to you to make a call. However, the sooner the better. I am afraid one of these days she will injure herself or running away without a trace!

Use your discretion!
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Feb 25, 2007, 7:26 PM)

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Feb 28, 2007, 10:19 PM

Post #5 of 7 (2137 views)
Shortcut

when jingles climbed out towards the neighbour or the road, what was she lookin for? whr is she tryin to go? is she followin a scent? answer all these & u'l have a more solid answer to ur headache of why the prestige act Wink

ezekiel 25:17

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Mar 9, 2007, 2:26 PM

Post #6 of 7 (2082 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] Escape Artist [In reply to] Can't Post

I am no expert however, you can use common sense sometimes. Birds suppose to fly, fishes suppose to swim and dogs, they like to walk and explore. It can stimulate their senses like smells for example. Playing in the yard is not the same, you have to talk them for a walk instead and let out their negative energy! Dogs will listen when they are pretty tired.
Try and take your dogs around neighborhood for 30 minutes, they will settle down and listen you even more. Frown
Dog behaviorist.

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Mar 9, 2007, 6:57 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2077 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lady Eloise] Escape Artist [In reply to] Can't Post

u referrin to me???

ezekiel 25:17

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my