IN

Home: General: Chit Chat:
Importing Dog

Andrew

Apr 2, 2002, 8:55 AM

Post #1 of 16 (5221 views)
Shortcut
Importing Dog Can't Post

Some people will import dog from any other country without having the chance to see and touch the sire & dam. Maybe they can just see the picture of them through internet.
The question is :

1. How do we ensure we will get the quality pup buying them over the internet?

2. How do we ensure the pups is free from any problem such as CEA for a collie or any other?

3. Do we have the right to choose which pup we want?

Andrew Wong
Miniature Pinscher, Born 22.12.2000

exporter
New User

Apr 2, 2002, 7:39 PM

Post #2 of 16 (5213 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrew] Importing Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Andrew
You express some concerns regarding importing pups from overseas.
The best way to allay any fears you may have is to ask the breeder or the agent to ensure that any tests relevant to the breed and to the age of the pup have been carried out. You can then ask them to fax the test results to you.
For example, I would never buy any golden retriever puppies that are not from hip scored parents. Although the fact that the parents have good hip scores does not guarantee the puppy will be the same. However, it does reduce the chances of the puppy having hip problems.
If you are buying the puppy then of course you have the right to choose which one you want. But, the breeder will probably only offer you the ones they are willing to send, so your choice may be limited anyway.
Good luck in your search.
Avril

>>> Part of the contents deleted
Strictly no advertising in all forum post. Please adhere to the terms and conditions on the use of the forum.
>>> User account disabled

- Webmaster

(This post was edited by Khoobg on Apr 2, 2002, 8:30 PM)

leopui
K9 Maniac

Apr 2, 2002, 8:20 PM

Post #3 of 16 (5207 views)
Shortcut

Try the following link as I have post some thing "close" to what your concerns is back in Dec 2001 ...

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=987;search_string=Identifying%20the%20Responsible%20Ethical%20Breeder;#987

Anyway, below are the brief answer to what you have just asked ...

1. How do we ensure we will get the quality pup buying them over the internet?
There is no way you can be be ensured over the purchase of the "quality" pup over Internet unless the breeder or the seller is giving you the sales guarantee, which you need to read through carefully before any decision is making!!!

2. How do we ensure the pups is free from any problem such as CEA for a collie or any other?
I am not quite sure what is CEA but if you are talking
about CERF, which is Canine Eye Registration Foundation. There is always a certificate to varify ... again, just like what Avril have mentioned, this is only served to inform you that the parents are certify and so the pup is less likely to have the said problem but .... NO guarantee!!!

Other than that like OFA, which mean
Orthopedic Foundation for Animals ... this is for Hip Rating, all these test would provide you a certificate on the said dog.

The best way to ensure is to purchase from a breeder that willing to provide health guarantee toward your pup.

3. Do we have the right to choose which pup we want?
I guess you have the right to choose what you want but the problem is ... whether the breeder would want to sell you what you want or not is the senarion!!!

Reason being, a responisble breeder will choose those pup that suit your life style most. They would want to have more "personal data" & references from you before they decside which is the best pup to suit your life style since they are the one who make the litter happened.

LEO PUI
Get REAL, Train REAL & Be REAL! Do RIGHT and FEAR No One!

(This post was edited by leopui on Apr 2, 2002, 8:22 PM)

Derrickok
Novice

Apr 2, 2002, 9:06 PM

Post #4 of 16 (5198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leopui] Importing Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

How true and how true you have just highlighted. I like No.3. most. Some members in this forum don't even qualify the first 1/2 step to number 3.
Why should I sell you a puppy that I don't even have your proper name and I don't even know if you are in Selangor, Singapore, Perek or Timbuktu?
Even if I got a puppy to give away, which I have now a few, I won't know where to contact you and if I am willing, where to deliver?

leopui
K9 Maniac

Apr 2, 2002, 9:39 PM

Post #5 of 16 (5195 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Importing Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

As a breeder, we really need to study the breed and MUST not be kennel blind otherwise, we will NEVER success and to improve the proper breed breeding here in Malaysia.

Why should we just keep on importing from other country and do not "use" the one that we have imported and to create the next generation breeding that carried "buatan Malaysia"???

I remember once I wrote to MKA (too bad ... no reply yet) and ask how many breeder in Malaysia have managed to export their pup / dog to other countries? Are we Malaysian breeder so "lau-g"???

Some breeder have being doing their best to improve breed breeding but there are still LARGE number of ir-responsible breeder out / up there!!!

Likewise, this apply to dog keeper!!!
LEO PUI

Derrickok
Novice

Apr 2, 2002, 10:21 PM

Post #6 of 16 (5193 views)
Shortcut

This Dalmatian can give you the statistics.
Dobermann exported to India and Philippines.
Dax exported to Australia & India.
Shih Tzu exported to Hong Kong.
Dalmatians exported to Sabah, Singapore and Thailand.

leopui
K9 Maniac

Apr 2, 2002, 11:34 PM

Post #7 of 16 (5188 views)
Shortcut

Thank You Derrick,

That's indeed is good to learn ... I would like to add two more countries ... and they are Jakarta of Indonesia and Gauteng of South Africa. Hopefully, we can increase few more in time to come.

This proves that we Malaysian can produce quality pup and dog ... with few more quality bloodline to be imports ... in time to come, Malaysian shall be sharing the top three position with other "leading" canine exporter within Asia Pacific region if it is not to the world class standard yet.

This achievement required the breed's breeding control system from MKA & the breeder itself to continue learning and up-grading their knowledge about breed ... interm of genetic & health research toward the produec lineage. I am not quite sure if you will agreed with me on this but again, this is just my though overall and I am following the track accordingly.
LEO PUI

Andrew

Apr 4, 2002, 7:59 AM

Post #8 of 16 (5174 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the info...

By the way CEA means Collie Eye Anomaly. This happens to collie.

Speaking of CERF, that they do the eye test and provide the report on the dog's eye. So where do we able to get such similar of services in Malaysia. Or is there any of them? Personally I think Hospital Vetinary UPM should have such a service....

Andrew Wong
Miniature Pinscher, Born 22.12.2000

leopui
K9 Maniac

Apr 4, 2002, 8:15 AM

Post #9 of 16 (5173 views)
Shortcut

Blush ... Sarawak don't have this yet ...

However, when Canine's association or club or breed registry is strong enough in controlling the breeding from the member ... there you will see more equipment and facilities set-up for canine ... well, in time to come ... hopefully, in time to come!!!
LEO PUI

les
K9 Maniac

Jun 21, 2002, 2:03 AM

Post #10 of 16 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Why never heard imported pups from China, I have friends there. And they tell me that those pedigree pups are really cheap (RMB). Hmm.. dunno how to import into m'sia only.. :(

*~Sunny Macho, My lil puggy~*
Laugh -Born 15th March, 2002-
Laugh

Copied this frm ahming, touch huh?
"Please don't cry in front of my grave,

I don't mind if you keep a new dog.

I won't angry if you give my toys to others dog,

I will be happy if other dogs can enjoy your love as me."

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 21, 2002, 2:37 AM

Post #11 of 16 (5143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [les] Importing Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

That is interesting. Meet up with me on Sunday at Klang Parade. I want to know more.
ThankQ.

les
K9 Maniac

Jun 21, 2002, 3:02 AM

Post #12 of 16 (5140 views)
Shortcut

Well, ok.. what are the details u need to know? The pups Price? I can print it out.. heheheSmile

Laugh

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 21, 2002, 3:26 AM

Post #13 of 16 (5135 views)
Shortcut

Not so fast, we are exhibitors in the show rings, and we don't simply buy dogs or puppies just because they are pedigree and cheap.
Since now as you had mentioned about China, I must do a certain amount of home work on China and her Kennel Associations. Whats the point of importing a pedigree dog from China when MKA do not recognise the authorities of China. And surely I would look stupid to import a GSD from China. But if I were to import, it would be appropraite to bring in a Shar Pei or a Tibetan Terrier.

les
K9 Maniac

Jun 22, 2002, 1:11 AM

Post #14 of 16 (5122 views)
Shortcut

ic.. well, i try ask my fwens over China in Shanghai and Beijing..

Laugh

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 22, 2002, 1:59 AM

Post #15 of 16 (5119 views)
Shortcut

I feel that you are only wasting your time. Dogs from China, be they registered in Shanghai, Beijing or any other provinces, will not be recognised, as China has not been given the International Status.
However, there is a loophole available, which I will tell you if I see you on Sunday. And maybe this could be applied.

les
K9 Maniac

Jun 22, 2002, 9:25 PM

Post #16 of 16 (5110 views)
Shortcut

Ic.. OK. We discuss abt this topic when we meet! Wink

Laugh

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my