bone dislocation??????

princessmisha
Novice

Jan 28, 2007, 4:09 AM

Post #1 of 5 (9470 views)
Shortcut
bone dislocation?????? Can't Post

dear all,

i m desperately in need of your response. i have a american cockel spaniel... she is going to be one year old in one week. she is a happy and active girl. few days ago while playing (chasing a ball) she kind of slided/skidded and i thing that causes some injury to her hind leg (right side). she has been limping off and on and for many times when she is walking or jumping up d bed (something she got used to doin and its hard for me to stop her), she will just fall flat... like as if the leg has got no strength.

yes of course i consulted a doctor. was told that she dislocated her bone and its something very common with small breeds. only a surgery will help but yet there is NO 100% guarantee that it will be cured. another solution is to just put her on bone supplement and avoid running/jumping..... hopefully re-occurence of the dislocation will minimize.

my girl does not look like she is in pain but it saddened me whenever i see her limp or just fall flat while walking/running. anyone of you ever experienced something like this?

melanie
Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2007, 6:45 AM

Post #2 of 5 (9467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [princessmisha] bone dislocation?????? [In reply to] Can't Post

No doctor/vet is able to tell U 100% what actually is wrong, unless U send you pet for an X-ray.
Select a clinic with X-ray facility and there will be no guessing!

princessmisha
Novice

Jan 28, 2007, 7:58 AM

Post #3 of 5 (9462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [melanie] bone dislocation?????? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Melanie,

Thanks a lot. Yeah will be bringing her for a xray next week. Keep your fingers crossed for me that my girl is fine. I need that.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 3, 2007, 11:30 PM

Post #4 of 5 (9443 views)
Shortcut

Hi princessmisha!

This doesn't sound so good. Last time before we padded our whole porch with expenssive mats, Amber used to slip, fall & slide on the tiled floor whenever she runs out there or when we play fetching with her. She came to us fine until oneday around 4mth old, her hip prob started. Until today (she's now 16mths old), we still don't know whether this prob started from the slipping & falling on the hard tiled floor or it was just genetic. We've already taken an x-ray of her hips & it's very clear that her left hip bone is not in her socket. When she walks, it looks like she's got rubber legs & she sways alot. But she's got pain at all, still strong & muscular, she still can jump high & run at super sonic speeds (altho she's not suppose to)...She can do everything with no problem! No pain & limping so far...

In your case, small breed dogs like your cocker don't easily get hip problem/hip dysplasia as easily as big dogs like Goldens for instance. I think that hip problem that your dog got was probably caused by the slipping on the tiled floor. Your dog prob twisted her hip & got it out of shape a bit. If your dog's limping, definitely it IS in pain, maybe you can't see it. That's why she's limping, it's painful when she puts pressure on it. You NEED to bring her to a good vet & get an x-ray of its hips. If there is any prob with it, you should let her have an operation. The docs right, there's no guarantee 100% that you'll dog will come out walking better & sometimes after an operation, the dog will never be able to walk again. It's a risk you're willing to take! Don't let it go on for too long coz it will get worse & worse by the day...until you find your dog not able to walk anymore.

My dog, Amber is not in pain at all & she is still able to walk & run altho swaying all the time. There's no point letting her go thru an operation yet, only if it gets really worse like cannot walk at all & she's in terrible pain! But it all comes down to you. Like I've said, it's a risk...

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Feb 3, 2007, 11:36 PM)

coffee

May 12, 2007, 7:46 PM

Post #5 of 5 (9123 views)
Shortcut

Hello, allow me to share some info,

There is no dislocation for bone, only dislocation for joints. The dislocation, was it hip or knee? My guess is the knee because I rarely hear about hip problem in the cocker, whereas knee problem is not unheard of.

When you are talking about joint problem, it can be a very frustrating problem especially puppy. Puppy is growing, putting weight on the joint and bone. And the hyperactive attitude of puppy doesn't help the situation.

When we are talking about joint problem we are not talking about cure because there is always problem later on in life. So we call it management. Normally it is approached by medical management or surgical management. Surgical management often is one of the last option with the exception of a few condition like patellar luxation. Surgical treatment in Malaysia is often a slavage surgery, which is your last option, synonymous with amputation.

Medical management is more conservative treatment. Less invasive and probably not as costly, depends. Joint problem, depending on how bad the situation, often you want to keep the body weight checked. Make sure the puppy is not overwieght and need to be skinny in some serious case. Exercise also has to be monitored as too much of slide and pressure on the joint will make thing worse. Then it comes the joint suplement. There are a lot of product in the market. Some expensive some cheap. Of course the good one is expensive and the cheap on is not as pure. Choose base on your budget, cost per dog per day is very important because this is a life long supplement. If necessary, painkiller is given to control the pain and damage by the inflammatory reaction. Every dog has different situation, backgroud and life style. The program for medical management needs to be tailored made. So it is not a "fast consult and dispensing medicine and there you go". It is best to spend some time with the vet to discuss about the condition. You might want to do a X-ray to find out the exact problem.

Hope this help.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my