Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Canine Hip Dysplasia:
Hips Dysplasia

Andrew

Apr 2, 2002, 7:39 AM

Post #1 of 13 (9284 views)
Shortcut
Hips Dysplasia Can't Post

Need some info on this topics.

Ok..as I know, hips dysplasia occur mostly in large breed.

Something below that I need to know about :

1. Is hips dysplasia an inherit disease/problem ?
2. At what age a dog will strike by this problem?
3. What causes of this problem?
4. Can hips dysplasia be cured?
5. How can we tell a dog has this problem?
6. And many others....

Just need as much as possible info. on this...

Andrew Wong
Miniature Pinscher, Born 22.12.2000

leopui
K9 Maniac

Apr 2, 2002, 8:52 AM

Post #2 of 13 (9279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrew] Hips Dysplasia [In reply to] Can't Post

What about you try the following link ... it contain superb information about HD ... hope it help at least!!!

www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1569&articleid=444
LEO PUI
Get REAL, Train REAL & Be REAL! Do RIGHT and FEAR No One!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 31, 2003, 7:23 PM

Post #3 of 13 (9186 views)
Shortcut

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Dec 31, 2003, 7:24 PM)

vijitha
Novice

Apr 24, 2004, 12:18 AM

Post #4 of 13 (9068 views)
Shortcut

I own a Malamute so I went through this topic with my vet

1. Yes, it is inherited/genetic and yes it can also be caused by the environment ie exercise or excessive weight etc

2. You can start to do an radiology/X ray scan after 12 months

3. Genetic and/or environment

4. Hip dysplasia varies in their different levels. From mild to serious. The only way to correct HD is by operation. Although it depends on how bad it is for the dog and if it stops the dog from the required activities. Some dogs live well with hip dysplasia

5. Visually sometimes it can be told by the way they walk or run or if they need help jumping but the only TRUE way is an Xray

kitconnie78
ALPHA

May 14, 2004, 4:40 PM

Post #5 of 13 (8931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vijitha] Hips Dysplasia [In reply to] Can't Post

How will you know if your dog is suffering from Hips Dysplasia. I mean by looking at your dog. Is it that he can't walk properly or his leg is weak? How can you tell?

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

vijitha
Novice

May 14, 2004, 5:24 PM

Post #6 of 13 (8928 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitconnie78] Hips Dysplasia [In reply to] Can't Post

Visually it is very hard to tell UNLESS the observer is experienced with HD ie Vet

They might walk a particular way but the ONLY WAY is an Xray.

PSD
ALPHA

May 15, 2004, 12:56 AM

Post #7 of 13 (8918 views)
Shortcut

vijitha,

Yes u are right. Best way is xray. But an experienced eye and checks method may be able to spot early development of HD but then needs xray to confirm.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

chilimson

Jul 28, 2004, 7:41 AM

Post #8 of 13 (8159 views)
Shortcut

I think if the eyes could see it, then it must be bad. The question is how bad, and only an x-ray could answer that question. An experienced person could definitely help to differentiate many things, however, get a vet and make sure a good one. Otherwise, he will probably not do a good job doing the x-ray or make your dog's condition worse. Mad

vijitha
Novice

Jul 28, 2004, 3:51 PM

Post #9 of 13 (8153 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chilimson] Hips Dysplasia [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, if it is very noticeable it is bad indeed. We knew of a Retriever (very cute boy) that walked very very awkwardly, like his hind legs are about to fall off. And by 6 months old, he was diagnosed with HD (high score too). If the dog has HD, get a score first to determine how severe. Some dogs can live very well with HD. It depends on the activity and lifestyle of the dog but the weight of the dog must be controlled cos this could make HD worse (carrying extra kilos).

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Aug 2, 2004, 6:48 PM

Post #10 of 13 (8070 views)
Shortcut

The thing is my dog's leg is not straight enough if you look from the behind. Walking is fine but not exactly nice. At least she can still walk without limping or anything like that. My dog is coming to 6 months very soon. Should I get the dog for X-ray now or later?

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

vijitha
Novice

Aug 2, 2004, 6:59 PM

Post #11 of 13 (8067 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitconnie78] Hips Dysplasia [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a good site for info on HD - http://www.pethealthcare.net/...e_hip_dysplasia.html

The site suggests that it can be noticeable as young as 4 months old.

I was advised to get a HD check after 12 months for my dog as they are still developing prior to that. Although I had one done at 18 months.

If you are worried for your dog, consult your vet if a HD scan should be done or for peace of mind. Smile

kasthuri
Novice

Aug 10, 2004, 9:54 PM

Post #12 of 13 (7947 views)
Shortcut

my 18 month old lab retriever got diagnosed with it abt a month & half back. no limp but she didnt want to jump too much. went for x-ray & now she is on Synoquin capsules. took her back to the vet last week & he says that there is considerable improvement in her (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!). she needs to continue the medication for the next month or so but she needs to shed some pounds. nd to slow down on aggressive play, shudnt let them run too much but take them for long walks. i'm paranoid so am very careful to make sure she doesnt run or jump too much.

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Aug 17, 2004, 4:17 PM

Post #13 of 13 (7785 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kasthuri] Hips Dysplasia [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't let your dog climb stairs also. That is right not to let her run or jump. My border collie got some problem with the hips also and I give her missing link plus with glucosamine. After 3 months everything is going well. Now she can run normally without falling down.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ;];]c_)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my