First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

doodle
ALPHA

May 16, 2003, 6:11 PM

Post #1 of 166 (16363 views)
Shortcut
Basset Hound corner Can't Post

Anyone here owns a basset hound?
I hardly spot any basset hound around. Hope to meet as many bassie owners. It will be fun to be able to discuss about our furkids here.
My bassie is 3 months old now and it's name is doodle.
Wink

kbs
Enthusiast

May 17, 2003, 2:37 AM

Post #2 of 166 (16352 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doodle] Basset Hound corner [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Doodle,

Elly, another of the forumer, has a basset hound too.

Regards,
KBS

doodle
ALPHA

May 18, 2003, 7:58 AM

Post #3 of 166 (16347 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kbs] Basset Hound corner [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi KBS,

Remember me? I was at the gathering and I spoke to you about my basset hound.

I have yet to meet Elly about our basset hound. She couldn't make it to the gathering.

I guess not many people fancy Bassie huh?

Elly
ALPHA

May 20, 2003, 6:01 AM

Post #4 of 166 (16333 views)
Shortcut

Thanks KBS.

Yeah..me with my stupid sasha, a basset.

How's your darling all?

Elly
ALPHA

May 20, 2003, 6:05 AM

Post #5 of 166 (16332 views)
Shortcut

My dear Doodle,

Not say nobody fancy Basset....is just, basset is really stubborn...people might think is hard to train em.

To be honest, I do feel that way too..but by just looking at thefella's face, ur heart will melt again....sigh..

I told myself, Sasha gonna be my first and only basset. Not gonna get anymore. But I like my Dane, Lady!

Will definately get a dane if *touch wood* Lady aint around anymore.

Cheers!Wink

doodle
ALPHA

May 20, 2003, 7:44 AM

Post #6 of 166 (16329 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Elly] Basset Hound corner [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Elly!
Welcome back!

Well, I kinda regret at first for getting Bassie too. I wanted Miniture Shnauzer actually. But I thought perhaps bassie needs less grooming.

My doodle is so stubborn and my hands are full of scars. Everyone calls him a monster. But he tickles my heart with his look even though he did something wrong. He looks so naive and innocent. I still love him very much. We might get another female bassie for him. Maybe in 5 years time! hhahahah!

doodle
ALPHA

May 21, 2003, 7:26 AM

Post #7 of 166 (16319 views)
Shortcut

My doodle learn to bark today.

Frown So loud his bark! My friend said can wake up the death.

He is still very stubborn. I feel very disappointed and so sad. In fact, when I call him to come, I ended up chasing him.

snoopydog
Enthusiast

May 21, 2003, 5:18 PM

Post #8 of 166 (16316 views)
Shortcut

Hi doodle,

Be patient. Beagles and Bassets are very strong minded and independent dogs. That's why they won't automatically come running to you like other dogs because they prefer to explore other things around them. The first thing you must do is train him to come to you on command. When you say "come", make it worthwhile for doodle. Lure him with treats or toys...and praise him like mad when he eventually comes. Slowly, he will realise coming to you means "good things will happen". If he doesn't come, NEVER NEVER chase him. Otherwise, he will think "come" means "run away, and thinks it's a game.

My beagle is almost 11mths now. Eventhough she fully understands what "come" means, she will look at me first and as if to say "OK I'll come, but in a minute". I'll just stand there and true enough, she will come...but in no hurry. Yes I agree it's frustrating but I'm still training her whenever I can.

Beagles will be beagles. Same goes for Bassets. SmileSmile

doodle
ALPHA

May 21, 2003, 5:41 PM

Post #9 of 166 (16315 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopydog] Basset Hound corner [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Snoopydog,
I didn't know beagle is stubborn too. I thought my dog is the most stubborn dog in the world. Very frustrating especially when you come home from work. So tired even to chase him.
Usually when I was about to give him snacks, I will say snack snack and he will be alert. Now instead of saying 'come', i have to say snack snack.
Crazy
But the main problem that I face now is that he still enjoy biting us. Maybe not our flesh, but our pants and drag them. All the family member's toes has holes and scratches. Our socks are loose. I turn up to work one day with one sock longer than the other.
Each time when I push him away and yell No.. he growls at me instead and bark.
Is he very playful because he is caged in the afternoon? But we still give him 5-6 walks a day!
(shaking head left to right)

doodle
ALPHA

Jul 21, 2003, 11:49 PM

Post #10 of 166 (16259 views)
Shortcut

I guess this forum only me and Elly has Basset.
Anymore out there?
Why ler.. elly call sasha stupid basset?
Actually they are quite smart u know.. but very stubborn!

chika
Dog Kichi

Jul 26, 2003, 6:12 AM

Post #11 of 166 (16244 views)
Shortcut

Hi doodle,

We talked a bit at the SPCA thread. My hubby and I have a Basset Hound named "Willy". He is 1 year + 8 months old and we adopted him from SPCA about half a year ago.

He is very very very very stubborn and we still have a bit of problem getting him to listen to us. But he has learned to come to my whistle because everytime I whistle, he thinks he's going to get a treat. He still loves pulling towels and laundry, and doesn't want to return the stuff he steals. We also have a Golden Retriever, "Sam" and these guys wrestle non-stop all day. Willy is very mischievous and loves to get attention. He can also shake hands...or more like he thinks he'll get whatever he wants .. whether it's a treat or rub on the throat (he loves it!).. when he puts his paw on me.

Hope to see your hound kid at the next gathering.

doodle
ALPHA

Jul 27, 2003, 5:41 AM

Post #12 of 166 (16236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chika] Basset Hound corner [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all, welcome to the basset hound corner! Currently we have 3 members already.

Sounds like you are having alot of fun with your bassie! Mine still bites and it hurts! He is very impatient even when we want to give him treat. He just snap at my hands too when I tried to hite the treat.

Even when we go for a walk, he will pull me and bite the leash. Very rebellious. We really hope that he will change when he grows up.

I would love to meet willy. Hopefully bassie corner will grow and we can have our own picture group!

Wink

doodle
ALPHA

Sep 2, 2003, 9:11 PM

Post #13 of 166 (16177 views)
Shortcut

Hi Chika!
We haven't met yet isn't it? I can't wait to see you willy!
How is willy doing?
This coming gathering, we have 3 basset hounds only. Hmm... know anymore out there?

chika
Dog Kichi

Sep 3, 2003, 12:24 AM

Post #14 of 166 (16174 views)
Shortcut

"Naughty" "Stubborn" and "Simpleton" that's what Willy is all about...
When we adopted him last January, he only weighed 19kg, but now he's bit of a sumo wrestler at 26kg.

He is quite "thinck-skinned" and once he finishes his food, he goes around, checking on other dogs' food and just sits in front of one of them, hoping that they will be kind enough to give up their food for him.
He also can't stand the site of napping dogs and has to wake them up to play with him. When they ignore him, he's got this ear drum-breaking bark, which doesn't seem to bother dogs but is very very paiful to human ears...
What else, when he's got something in his mouth and doesn't want to give it to you, he'll just wait until you come inches from him then dash off...which is very irritating!!!!
His latest hobby is "crawling" on his belly. Hey Willy, you're only 4 inches off the ground to begin with, so why bother crawl??

How's your doodle anyway? I read in a magazine that basset hounds are among the most hard-headed, most-difficult-to-train dogs. But they got this real childlike behavior to make up for all this.

Looking forward to seeing you guys in KK next time.

doodle
ALPHA

Sep 5, 2003, 9:17 AM

Post #15 of 166 (16157 views)
Shortcut

I have to give 2 thumbs up the way you describe willy!
Typical doodle!!! exactly!! they should have a comparison and I doubt we can find any difference. I have to laugh when I read about Willy cause that's what exactly happen to doodle.

He loves to bite socks and shoes. When we go near him, he will wait till you are 50 cm away before he dash off. When we ignore him, he will come near us... hoping we will chase him.

As usual, he cleans his bowl too after everymeal. He does his own dishes.

Very lazy that he will only move his front paws to get his toys. Looks like crawling.

His barks can wakes the death. What about his deep howling? Unsure

I have a book about basset hound. You interested?

doodle
ALPHA

Sep 9, 2003, 12:55 AM

Post #16 of 166 (16150 views)
Shortcut

hey chika,

wanna ask.. how much do you feed willy?
Once a day or twice a day?
my doodle start to loose appetite and he doesn't want to eat his morning meal anymore.

What about willy?

chika
Dog Kichi

Sep 9, 2003, 7:25 AM

Post #17 of 166 (16148 views)
Shortcut

Hi doodle,

All our dogs have 2 meals a day, in the morning and at night, but I wouldn't worry too much about them not having morning meals as long as they eat at night (or the other way round).

Almost all my dogs go through this strange cycle of not wanting to eat in the morning for a while and therefore they eat like they have never seen food before at night. Then they start to eat a bit again in the morning before going back to their 2 meals a day routine.

Willy is no exception and once in a while he won't eat in the morning. But as long as he eats at night, I think it's OK. What I would suggest is that if he doesn't eat in the morning, don't give him any treat during the day and maybe give him his evening meal a bit earlier than usual. Hopefully he will learn that the food is the only yummy that he's going to get and since he's eating early in the evening, he will feel hungrier in the morning.
Let us know how it goes...

By the way, what kind of Basset hound book have u got?

Elly
ALPHA

Sep 11, 2003, 4:10 AM

Post #18 of 166 (16126 views)
Shortcut

Hi there,

How old is Willy again? Will you bring all your dogs to the 14th event? If so, pls come to the registration booth..wanna see Willy....so cute thru your avatar!~

My Sasha is over weight...but I think she is fine. Still can run up and down the stairs..sometimes faster than my dane, Lady..coz she rolls down..muahahahhaha....CrazyCrazyLaughLaugh

chika
Dog Kichi

Sep 11, 2003, 8:16 AM

Post #19 of 166 (16123 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Unfotunately Willy won't be able to make it.... Unsure
For the past few days, he's been limping and yesterday he gave me a chock of my life when I saw him all flopped to the floor. His gum was pale and his body temp was very low... we rushed him to the hospital. In the afternoon, I went to see him and he looked a lot better and we all assumed that he ate something bad, but the vet did some test anyway and found out that Willy may have some kind of liver problem and that his blood sugar level gets really low when he goes hyper or somthing.... they want to do some more tests tomorrow to make sure what's wrong with his liver......UnsureUnsureUnsure
As for his limping, one of his front toe nails literally came off and he's got a bandage all around his toes.
He's so short and all, but has always been jumping, hopping around, and he is sooooo clumsy!!!

We though the toenail was the only problem, but now we may have a lot more serious problem with him... so far what the vet could tell us is that Willy should be on some special diet and that he shouldn't exert himself too much. Well, that's like telling him not to breath... he has been jumping and running more than he has been walking..

We'll go and see him tomorrow and get some more details and hopefully we can bring him home.

By the way, he's 1 yr 10 months now. Hope he'll be OK....

Elly
ALPHA

Sep 11, 2003, 6:00 PM

Post #20 of 166 (16119 views)
Shortcut

Oh dear.....

I really hope Willy is doing well. Please update us abt him ya?

I think I have to start jaga Sasha's diet then....Unsure

doodle
ALPHA

Sep 13, 2003, 11:46 PM

Post #21 of 166 (16109 views)
Shortcut

Hi Chika,

so sorry to hear about Willy... I hope he is feeling better already...

Poor thing. Unsure

Hugz

doodle
ALPHA

Sep 14, 2003, 12:08 AM

Post #22 of 166 (16107 views)
Shortcut

by the way chika,

the book that I mentioned, is a black book that you can find from MPH.

Are you interested?

Just let me know ok?

Rusty_Boy
K9 Maniac

Sep 27, 2003, 1:07 AM

Post #23 of 166 (16088 views)
Shortcut
Re: Basset Hound corner [In reply to] Can't Post

dear owners of bassies,

sorry for being so kepo Tongue. just saw an article in the STAR today abt bassie. the bassie's name is jeffries and he's the dog with the largest ears in the world as recognised by the new 2004 guinness book of world records. his ears measure 29.2cm.

so, any of u ever measured the length of the ears of ur bassies? probably we could have a contest in the next gathering namely the largest/longest ears Wink

doodle
ALPHA

Sep 27, 2003, 6:32 AM

Post #24 of 166 (16080 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rusty_Boy] Basset Hound corner [In reply to] Can't Post

hello there

I saw the article too.
he is actually the grandson of the icon Hush Puppy.

But I thought hush puppy's name is Jason?

I haven't measure doodle's ear yet. But it's quite short. Unsure

Doodle's ear can cover his eyes though. Wink

Elly
ALPHA

Sep 29, 2003, 6:15 PM

Post #25 of 166 (16066 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rusty_Boy] Basset Hound corner [In reply to] Can't Post

oh...I didnt get to read that article...Unsure

Hmm....I think my Sasha's ears aint that long though...Angelic

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my