Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Older dog terrified of new one

Marcia2
New User

May 15, 2003, 8:21 AM

Post #1 of 2 (881 views)
Shortcut
Older dog terrified of new one Can't Post

Two months after losing our old Schnauzer, our Papillon (3 years old) seemed lonely so we adopted a Japanese Chin (1 1/2 years old) rescue dog nine days ago. Our Papillon will not come out of her sleeping area because she is afraid of the Chin. The Pap was the bully when we had our older dog and always instigated the play. Now she is afraid because the new dog wants to play. We can take them together for walks, sit on the sofa, or take them anywhere together in a vehicle. All is fine. But, she hides at home. Help! I don't want my dog to live the rest of her life in the kitchen.

Mirella
New User

May 21, 2003, 7:45 PM

Post #2 of 2 (866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Marcia2] Older dog terrified of new one [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Marcia,

It seems to me that your older dog feels a bit threatened in the special position he had. Now losing his friend, he needs to share you with a "stranger" who tests his/her territory all the time.

You can help your dog by confirming his/her position as the "leader of the pack" by feeding this dog first, rewarding this dog first, greeting the older dog first, etc. For both dogs, you're are the "alpha dog". The dogs will look at you for cues on how to behave. Reaffirming the special "first" and older position will make you first dog happy again. Beware, you need to be consistent.

Good luck, Mir

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my