-ArChAng3L-
New User

Jan 16, 2007, 8:38 PM

Post #1 of 18 (11437 views)
Shortcut
having problem housebreaking Can't Post

hi guys,

i got my shih-tzu puppy about 2 weeks ago and he's about 2 months old too

the main problem i'm actually having is housebreaking him..i wanted to let him do his business in the toilet but the toilet floor is always wet so instead i made him do it on newspapery really need help regarding house

his pee and poo times are really irregular..and till now i can't catch his times..sometimes after i made him pee on the newspaper, i would normally let him walk/play around, then maybe 5-10 minutes later he would pee on the floor somewhere..

sometimes i put him on the newspaper to make him pee, he just doesn't want to..he won't smell the newspaper, then i would assume that he doesn't wanna pee so i let him off, and less than a minute later, he would pee on the floor behind me Unsure and sometimes when he poo, he won't do it all at once..he would do a little bit now and maybe 1 hour later a little bit again..

reallbreaking him as my mum is getting really irritated with him already..

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 17, 2007, 3:41 AM

Post #2 of 18 (11430 views)
Shortcut
Re: [-ArChAng3L-] having problem housebreaking [In reply to] Can't Post

1st, uve gotta allocate a spot (or several spots) whr he's allow to do his business thr. i would always suggest not to use newspaper. use cloth (the same cloth everytime) for pee & tissue paper for poo. do not scold, punish, scream, beat, hit, abuse ur doggie ok??? wat im suggestin to u is housebreakin thru a more positive way. there is "NO NEED" to say "NO" immediately after he poos/pees, remove the mess with the above said ways. place the mess to the allocated spot/s. carry ur doggie to that spot/s & let him sniff the mess. praise him (pat his head, massage his lower lips, etc but no treats ya) leave him thr for a moment (1~2mins). then only u remove the mess. throw the poo filled tissue paper. rinse the pee stained cloth & let to dry. use the same wet cloth again if u need to. if u did not catch him on the spot while he's pooin/peein, same story. repeat everythin, there is "NO NEED" to say "NO". ur gonna have a smart doggie, dont worry abt it, give urself some confident & persistency. ur doggie will learn his new trick within these 2weeks. remember...patience as well ya

good luck & keep us updated ya

cheers Tongue

ezekiel 25:17

chrisong
Doggyman

Jan 18, 2007, 6:44 PM

Post #3 of 18 (11423 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] having problem housebreaking [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1st, uve gotta allocate a spot (or several spots) whr he's allow to do his business thr. i would always suggest not to use newspaper. use cloth (the same cloth everytime) You are going to encourage your dog to pee & poo on your sofa, bed & anything that is fabric!!!Crazy for pee & tissue paper for poo. do not scold, punish, scream, beat, hit, abuse ur doggie ok??? wat im suggestin to u is housebreakin thru a more positive way. there is "NO NEED" to say "NO" immediately after he poos/pees, remove the mess with the above said ways. place the mess to the allocated spot/s. carry ur doggie to that spot/s & let him sniff the mess. praise him (pat his head, massage his lower lips, etc but no treats ya) leave him thr for a moment (1~2mins). then only u remove the mess. throw the poo filled tissue paper. rinse the pee stained cloth & let to dry. use the same wet cloth again if u need to. if u did not catch him on the spot while he's pooin/peein, same story. repeat everythin, there is "NO NEED" to say "NO". ur gonna have a smart doggie, dont worry abt it, give urself some confident & persistency. ur doggie will learn his new trick within these 2weeks. remember...patience as well ya

good luck & keep us updated ya

cheers Tongue

chrisong
Doggyman

Jan 18, 2007, 7:14 PM

Post #4 of 18 (11421 views)
Shortcut
Re: [-ArChAng3L-] having problem housebreaking [In reply to] Can't Post

Your pup still young. Just give him sometime & you need to be patient Even adult dog know where to pee & poo sometime also will missCool

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 18, 2007, 8:08 PM

Post #5 of 18 (11417 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] having problem housebreaking [In reply to] Can't Post

errrmmm... i dont think so... ur not trainin ur doggie to pee on the cloth, ur using the cloth to clean the pee, using the same cloth will hinder ur doggie from peein on fabric material. my disagreement on newspapers is that newspapers have a scented chemical that drive em nuts, seein newspapers lyin on the ground will trigger ur doggies to pee on the newspaper

chrisong
Doggyman

Jan 19, 2007, 4:10 PM

Post #6 of 18 (11406 views)
Shortcut

I train my dogs to pee & poo on the newspaper. I put the newspaper on top of a 3feet X 4feet tray. After the pee & poo on the newspaper you can easy clean the place up just roll the newspaper & throw away & replace a new one. Even I don't put any newspaper on the tray my dogs will still pee & poo in the tray.

I never use cloth to clean the pee to train them that way. Cause all of them sleep in my bedroom & my bedroom floor are place with carpet, they will surely pee & poo on my carpet or bed then I will be having headacheCrazy

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 20, 2007, 2:52 AM

Post #7 of 18 (11399 views)
Shortcut

i guess everyone will have their own ways of hse breakin methods. zeus wont do his business on fabrics or newspapers, toilet papers, etc. if he does his business inthe hse, only in the toilet when its rainin heavily outside

bkhwang
Dog Kichi

Jan 20, 2007, 7:22 PM

Post #8 of 18 (11388 views)
Shortcut

hi,

i wanna seek some advise bout wee wee & poo poo spot... i want to have two place for my ms to do her business one is in the cage downstair and another one is my toilet bathroom... how to train my puppy? should i start early or a-bit older when she is used to wee & poo in her cage?
mike@mike

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 20, 2007, 7:41 PM

Post #9 of 18 (11387 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bkhwang] having problem housebreaking [In reply to] Can't Post

hse breakin trainin starts the moment u brought back ur pup ade...not later...usually doggies wont stain their nest (in this case if ur plannin to let ur pup sleep in cage, she'l try to hold & not stain her cage, therefore usually to train pup do their business in cage is not a very good idea, u can read & try my suggestions on this thread...keep us updated on urs & ur pup's progress ya

good luck

bkhwang
Dog Kichi

Jan 20, 2007, 7:58 PM

Post #10 of 18 (11384 views)
Shortcut

wah, afternoon already... hehe

hello vinoviruz,

if im palnnig to have 2-cages for my puppy? one is the toilet and another one is her crib... then will it be ok? or i juzt stick to the bathroom/newspaper method?
mike@mike

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 20, 2007, 8:10 PM

Post #11 of 18 (11383 views)
Shortcut

aiyo 2 cages ah??? why leh??? 1 enuff ade...jz for her nest. u can do like how chris do, use a big plastic tray can also, no need 2nd cage jz for business. i dont encourage using newspaper, i use toilet paper & cloth for hse breakin trainin. in this thread there are 2 suggestion fr me & chrisong. read em thoroughly. both are a little different in terms of materials used & style. u can try em both & see wat suits u better. i dont know abt chrisong's trainin ways whether it can work on multiple business spots/areas? u need to ask him. but my methods will work on multiple spots/areas. (eg bathroom & tray) zeus will do his business outdoors, if outside rainin he'l go toilet settle, if at somebody's hse, he'l look for toilets also if cant go outside

bkhwang
Dog Kichi

Jan 20, 2007, 8:56 PM

Post #12 of 18 (11380 views)
Shortcut

ooo yalor hor... no point to have 2-cages... hehe i think ill try your method... then if i go to work then she will tahan till i come back?

ah, where to get the tray ah? how the tray looks like? if i stack newspaper on the floor there then will my puppy go there to poo? *there is something like spray to guide ur puppy to poo & wee, does that thing work / like make the training easier?

sorry if too many question coz i need to prepare everthing before i bring my little butter back...
mike@mike

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 25, 2007, 10:51 PM

Post #13 of 18 (11357 views)
Shortcut

u can get any type of flat plastic tray la dude...then like how jessicaohh did, she lay newspaper in the tray & use the plastic to cover on top...errmmm...very comlicated one maybe u should check out the pic to understand... my side leh, i trained zeus to do his business at the balcony's drain when im off for work, if he's inside a building, he'l look for toilet

goofydip
Veteran

Jan 26, 2007, 12:50 AM

Post #14 of 18 (11353 views)
Shortcut

fyi..i tried that spray u mentioned..but seems no use...dunno whether isit to my dog only or what...just from my experience only lo...Tongue

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

bkhwang
Dog Kichi

Jan 26, 2007, 5:26 PM

Post #15 of 18 (11351 views)
Shortcut

ha, i go find the plastic tray, but cannot find wor... the pet shop no sell... anywhere else that i can get the tray? pls pls pls tell me... Tongue
mike@mike

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 27, 2007, 8:43 PM

Post #16 of 18 (11345 views)
Shortcut

errmm... if u notice certain doggie cages will have a plastic tray slotted at the bottom. im talkin abt those tray. u can try lookin for those trays in dept stores or some plastic ware sellers???

bkhwang
Dog Kichi

Jan 28, 2007, 12:53 AM

Post #17 of 18 (11340 views)
Shortcut

ooo... hahaha... ill go find in hypermarket see see, coz i goes to per shop ask them got or not they say dun have wor... all comes with their crate... haiz... Unsure

10q 10q, ill tell u guys how buttercup progress on house train... hehe
mike@mike

bkhwang
Dog Kichi

Feb 8, 2007, 7:27 PM

Post #18 of 18 (11320 views)
Shortcut

haiz... last 2-days buttercup seems like know where to pee+poo... but yesterday and today she keep on doing her business outside her designated area... help hel...how? i need to scold her or "da her pet pet"?

haiz... headache again... also ah she started to bite ppl hand and leg... summore the teeth veli tajam.., pain lor... how to avoid this ah?

10q >.<
mike@mike

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my