Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
travelling in a car

nowiuh
Novice

Jan 9, 2007, 5:51 PM

Post #1 of 13 (1850 views)
Shortcut
travelling in a car Can't Post

Hope this is the correct section to post.

I am a first time owner of a GR puppy for about 2 months now. He is almost 4 months old. I am currently having some difficultly when travelling with him in a car. He doesn't like to sit still in the car and would run all over the seat. I used to put him in a big box when he is small but now he can climb out of it. Hence, I have to get someone to hold on to him and calm him while I drive. Even with someone holding him, he would sometimes struggle out and try to run inside the car. I don't take him in the car for long distance, only around 15 minutes ride each time but he still don't like it at all.

My problem now is - sometimes, there is nobody around to help and I may need to get him to somewhere urgently, for example to the vet. It would be quite dangerous to take him for a car ride alone. I am considering to get him a travelling crate but since he is still growing rapidly, I would need to keep changing the crate's size and that may cost a lot of $$. I am thinking of only getting him a travelling crate when he is almost fully grown.

At the meantime, can anybody suggest some way to train the puppy to be more calm when travelling in the car? Would appreciate any comments and suggestions. Thank you.

SupaMolly
ALPHA

Jan 10, 2007, 12:38 AM

Post #2 of 13 (1842 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nowiuh] travelling in a car [In reply to] Can't Post

nowiuh..

give him some chew toys so he will b busy with them

else, seat belt him Laugh

My beloved Molly looks like MooMooo

My beloved Snoopy makes 1 of the funniest beagle in the world

My beloved Lassie is the teh-est sheltie although he is a male !

Frown Molly Gal : 16 June 2007 | Snoopy Zai : 4 Jan 2010 | Lassie Zai : 23 April 2010

| Husky Zai : 24 Jan 2010
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my Jewelleries Online

Photography Business Website coming up soon ^^

crumb
Novice

Jan 10, 2007, 9:32 AM

Post #3 of 13 (1839 views)
Shortcut

You can buy a crate for your GR as i dont see any difficulty in estimating the size of it. Cos at least you know its parentage and also roughly the breed size. So you dun have much guessing to do. You can buy one big one for your GR now and use it till he/she grows up. And it will be a matter of few months only.If it is too big for your puppy, you can fill the crate with pillows or cloth before putting ur pup in. Then throw in a few chewable toy as well.

chrisong
Doggyman

Jan 10, 2007, 5:33 PM

Post #4 of 13 (1836 views)
Shortcut

I think you need a 4x4 pickup to bring your GR for traveling. Don't think the crate can fit into a normal private car.

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Jan 10, 2007, 8:01 PM

Post #5 of 13 (1829 views)
Shortcut

You can also try using a harness that can be attached to the seat belt.

nowiuh
Novice

Jan 10, 2007, 10:33 PM

Post #6 of 13 (1824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] travelling in a car [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the advice and replys. I will start looking for the harness and travelling crate - would prefer the harness over the travelling crate as I don't own a 4x4. Does anyone know where can I get the harness that can be fasten to the seatbelt? Is this harness different from the normal harness?

If not - die lor, looks like I will have to start saving $$ to change my car ...........

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Jan 10, 2007, 11:35 PM

Post #7 of 13 (1820 views)
Shortcut

I've seen it in the 1-utama petshop

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 11, 2007, 3:20 AM

Post #8 of 13 (1816 views)
Shortcut

can custom make ur harness. get the normal harness u use for doggies (accordin to size) with additional leash u can tie permanent leashes to ur back seat seat belt, keep it short enuff not for doggie to roam around but long enuff for him to sit & lie down comfortably. jz need to click on his harness each time u bring him into the car. however, u'l some jz a little disadvantage = ur car has got a permanent leash tied to the seat belt la, so when ur boardin other passengers in the back seat, kinda ugly la ya Tongue

ezekiel 25:17

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Jan 11, 2007, 3:47 AM

Post #9 of 13 (1813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] travelling in a car [In reply to] Can't Post

Ask the backseat people to wear a collar with some old expired licence lah. Then they won't look so out of place.

nowiuh
Novice

Jan 11, 2007, 5:40 PM

Post #10 of 13 (1806 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] travelling in a car [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, thanks for the wonderful idea

I will try it if i can't get the special type harness. It might be difficult to find in Ipoh petshops. Crazy

nowiuh
Novice

Jan 11, 2007, 5:42 PM

Post #11 of 13 (1805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] travelling in a car [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Ask the backseat people to wear a collar with some old expired licence lah. Then they won't look so out of place.

LaughLaugh

kaychia

Jan 11, 2007, 9:43 PM

Post #12 of 13 (1799 views)
Shortcut

Hi, my now 6 months old GR used to romp around in the car too when he was young. I think this is because he is very excited about travelling and you need to calm him down. But now, most of the time, when the car starts moving, he will lay down quietly on the floor.

You might consider trying this. When you are around at home, leave all the 4 doors of the car open and let him jump in or out and explore himself with your supervision. Give him some time to get used to every nook and corner of the car. You can also let him have his toy while he does this in the car. Once he is very familiar and feel that there is nothing exciting about the car, then he will be more calm when you are driving. Do not start your engine first when you do this.

After a few rounds, then you can start the ignition when he is in the car but don't drive yet. See if he has any reactions.

Next, get someone to drive and you sit at the passenger seat with him beneath your seat. (He should be lying on the floor). Normally, the first few times, he will want to get his hands on top of you or the seat. When he do that, tell him no sternly and put his hand down so that he will have all his feet on the floor of the car.He will keep on wanting to lift his feet up to the seat and move but hold him down while your partner is driving. After a few rounds, he will get the idea and settle down on your feet lying down on the floor as it will make him dizzy by standing up while the car is moving.

After he is comfortable lying down with you seating above him, you can then slowly shift to him lying down alone on the floor of the car and you can drive alone.

I am not sure if this will work for you but it does work for my golden. I think you can consider trying this out.

Most of the time, the puppy likes to climb everywhere in the car is because he is very curious of the car, and he is also curious of the movement out there when the car pass by. Other than that, it could be becuase he wants to play with you. So, let him have his toy while he is lying down.

Hope this works for you. Happy trying!

nowiuh
Novice

Jan 12, 2007, 10:01 PM

Post #13 of 13 (1781 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kaychia] travelling in a car [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi kaychia ,

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try your method with my puppy also and hope it will calm him down more. Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my