Home: Lost & Found: Lost, Missing or Stolen Dogs:
SPOTTED: WEASEL/ FERRET in PJ

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Jan 4, 2007, 3:06 AM

Post #1 of 13 (1509 views)
Shortcut
SPOTTED: WEASEL/ FERRET in PJ Can't Post

Hi. Has anyone lost a pet weasel/ ferret in PJ? I almost ran one over as it ran across the road in SS1. It was about a week ago.

I have only just been able to confirm that the animal that I saw was a ferret/ weasel because the 'net's been down/ slow.

It was definitely someone's pet because it looked well-fed.

If anyone has lost a pet weasel/ ferret, it was in SS1 a week ago.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Jan 4, 2007, 5:11 AM

Post #2 of 13 (1505 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gus-Gus] SPOTTED: WEASEL/ FERRET in PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

You sure it's not a common local mongoose?

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Jan 4, 2007, 6:01 AM

Post #3 of 13 (1503 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] SPOTTED: WEASEL/ FERRET in PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not an expert but I'm fairly sure it was not a mongoose. From what I have seen on the net, it is very much like a ferret/ weasel.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Jan 4, 2007, 6:48 AM

Post #4 of 13 (1497 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
You sure it's not a common local mongoose?

I've looked at pics online of mongoose and it definitely is not a mongoose.

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Jan 4, 2007, 8:23 AM

Post #5 of 13 (1494 views)
Shortcut

It's just that I get the idea ferrets are still relatively new to the pet-keeping scene here, which is why I'd go for a local suspect first. But of course, it may well be a ferret.

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Jan 4, 2007, 9:47 AM

Post #6 of 13 (1493 views)
Shortcut

I agree with you too that the first thought would be local wildlife like a mongoose or garden shrew. I had to check online that what I saw really was a ferret/ weasel. My first thought was a weasel. I've added ferret to my description because they are apparently the same family of animal. Also, I've heard of pet ferrets but not really pet weasels.

It was a large animal - longer than the average street cat and low to the ground with short legs and a long tail. The fur was also "blond". It was obviously well-fed, hence my next thought that it was a lost pet.

Ferrets/ weasels are not my idea of a pet but then...... everyone sometime ago must have thought that about dogs and cats. I mentioned seeing a ferret/ weasel to some ppl who suggested that it was a runaway pet that someone might have bought from Pet Family or Animal Safari.

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Jan 4, 2007, 6:02 PM

Post #7 of 13 (1483 views)
Shortcut

I once visited the premises of someone in the wild animal trade here and he had a box full of ferrets. So they do get around. I'm not sure if there are any local representatives of the mustela family. The closest I can think of would be the otter.

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Jan 4, 2007, 7:12 PM

Post #8 of 13 (1477 views)
Shortcut

It did look rather like an otter but light coloured. But the nearest large source of water - as far as I know - is Sri Aman Park and that is quite a few major roads away. It may be feasting off someone's koi pond contents.

Is that a pic of Arun? Looks sooo good.

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Jan 4, 2007, 9:20 PM

Post #9 of 13 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Haha, quite possible. Ask the koi keepers in the neighbourhood if their fish have been going AWOL.

It is Arún. I've been clipping her now. She's happy, I'm happy.

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Jan 4, 2007, 11:35 PM

Post #10 of 13 (1459 views)
Shortcut

Did you groom her yourself?? It's a beautiful job. I've given up trying to shape Oreo myself and sent her to a professional.

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Jan 5, 2007, 6:46 PM

Post #11 of 13 (1434 views)
Shortcut

Yes, it's all DIY. I've never brought her to groomer.

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Jan 5, 2007, 7:05 PM

Post #12 of 13 (1433 views)
Shortcut

Very impressive. You've got the eyebrows symmetrical as well as a good shape.

Lucky Arun. Oreo goes off to a groomer and has to stay there for ages (until the groomer gets to her) before I take her home. I'm sure she would prefer her grooming to be done at home so that she doesn't lose out on play time with her friends. I'd better learn how to do it myself. I'm inspired by you to give it a serious go!!

The groomer uses a strimmer but if I DIY, I'll be able to handstrip and maintain her coat better.

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Jan 5, 2007, 7:31 PM

Post #13 of 13 (1431 views)
Shortcut

Well, it was a matter of trial and error and a very misshapen looking Arún until we got to where she is now, haha.

It's exactly the thought of having to leave her at the shop for hours on end that put me off taking her to get a professional job done. I've heard at least one horror story of a dog purportedly going AWOL, rough handling &c &c.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my