Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Eye Care and Conditions:
Progresive Retinal Atrophy

crumb
Novice

Dec 26, 2006, 1:01 AM

Post #1 of 10 (9271 views)
Shortcut
Progresive Retinal Atrophy Can't Post

Anyone knows what exactly is progresive retinal atrophy or PRA? Cos i suspect my poodle has it. This disease is common in poodle and it will causes the poodle to go completely blind by 5-8 years time and night blindness around 5 years old. Read about it that there is no cure. Anyone knows about the symptoms. Cos i didn't really found any on the symptoms. Will have my poodle checked by the vet soon. Hope i am just over suspicious about it.

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Dec 27, 2006, 3:45 AM

Post #2 of 10 (9263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crumb] Progresive Retinal Atrophy [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry dude can help u but can u enlighten us here on the issue once u hav ur poodle checked by the vet?
thx Frown

ezekiel 25:17

crumb
Novice

Dec 27, 2006, 4:47 AM

Post #3 of 10 (9258 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] Progresive Retinal Atrophy [In reply to] Can't Post

lucky me, jz got back from the vet today. Went to the UPM animal hospital and had my dear little casper checked. The vet says that he is fine and has perfect eye sight. So ask me not to worry. But because today is my first ever visit to the animal hospital in my very own university, i left me with quite an impression. Can't say how good they were, but the vet does her work nicely and had my little guy check properly. And what more can i say, i got a 20% discount for being a UPM student. It seems that not only UPM students get discounts, but as long as you are student, you will be getting discount, but i am not sure how many percent lar. So why not try go and have your fur kid check in a gov vet for a try.

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Dec 27, 2006, 6:33 PM

Post #4 of 10 (9255 views)
Shortcut

hi,

good to hear that casper is ok....but wat makes u think that casper has PRA in the first place? got any sign ah? really common for poodles ah? coz sasha is a poodle too..wanna make sure i know all the symptoms...thanks!

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

crumb
Novice

Dec 28, 2006, 5:48 AM

Post #5 of 10 (9251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] Progresive Retinal Atrophy [In reply to] Can't Post

well, i suspected that casper has PRA cos the first time i saw casper, he actually had yellow eyes, then later on when i see his eyes again it is normal. So once i got home i went to wikipedia and saw that it is common for poodle to have PRA. Pupils may be dilated and/or have a slow response to light. Some pet owners will notice a characteristic shine from the eye. This is due to increased reflectivity of an iridescent tissue known as the tapetum located underneath the retina. Night blindness may be manifested in a number of ways, including a pet that is afraid to go out in the dark or go into a dark room. Often these pets will get lost in their own home after the lights have been turned off. As previously mentioned, retinal abnormalities may not be noticed at home until later in the course of the disease. Other well developed senses including olfaction (the sense of smell) and hearing help animals adapt to the slow loss of sight. Often sight loss is not noticed until a change of the pets normal environment occurs like when furniture is rearranged in the home or the animal is taken into a different area. Because PRA can be difficult to identify routine ophthalmic examination of all pets is recommended. This is especially important in animals that are being considered for breeding.
for more information you can go to this link

http://www.eyeclinicforanimals.com/retinal.php

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Dec 28, 2006, 4:07 PM

Post #6 of 10 (9250 views)
Shortcut

hey,

thanks so much for the info...Wink

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

kaychia

Dec 28, 2006, 10:58 PM

Post #7 of 10 (9248 views)
Shortcut

Hi there! About the UPM vet, may I know where is UPM and which building to go and who to approach if I want to go there for vet service? Also, how much is the full body check up before discount? Would like to consider bringing my pup there.

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 6, 2007, 7:38 PM

Post #8 of 10 (9238 views)
Shortcut

thx for the info dude Frown

ezekiel 25:17

crumb
Novice

Jan 6, 2007, 9:09 PM

Post #9 of 10 (9235 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kaychia] Progresive Retinal Atrophy [In reply to] Can't Post

Well for the first two question i can answer you. But the last one so sorry.

1) UPM is located in Serdang. you can take the sg. besi highway till you see the exit to UPM toll. Exit through the UPM toll and you will come to a traffic light. Go pass the traffic light and you will see UPM main gate on your left. Turn left and go straight till you reach a guard house.

2) From the guard house you can ask the guards for directions to go to the vet faculty. You have to get a pass to go into UPM faculty area.

kaychia

Jan 10, 2007, 1:59 AM

Post #10 of 10 (9226 views)
Shortcut

Hi, thanks for the info. Sorry for the late reply. was outstation and just got back yesterday. I will try see if I can go there some time...

Thanks again!!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my