Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
How many of you really apply heartgard medicine to your furkids?

mandyfwy

Nov 29, 2006, 12:46 AM

Post #1 of 15 (1271 views)
Shortcut
How many of you really apply heartgard medicine to your furkids? Can't Post

Heargard, to be taken 1 table/mth to prevent their heart healthness. How many of you really apply to to your furkids? What about if no apply? is the chances of getting the heart healtness is high?Unsure

Can anyone advice?

kaychia

Nov 29, 2006, 1:15 AM

Post #2 of 15 (1267 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mandyfwy] How many of you really apply heartgard medicine to your furkids? [In reply to] Can't Post

FrownHi there Mandy!

I don't know about others but I do give my boy the heartguard every month plus the deworm tablets every three months as per the vet's advice. Don't want my poor boy to catch some worm disease. Yuk! I heard doggie will vomit worms if we dun give them these tablets. Dun want my Caesar to get that.

It is not really expensive anyway.

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 29, 2006, 4:31 PM

Post #3 of 15 (1256 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mandyfwy] How many of you really apply heartgard medicine to your furkids? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

i do give my girls heartgard plus every month....with that don really need to deworm anymore unless there are any special cases.

ermm...vet advise must give every mth on time (+/- 1 week la). it's not really a hassle giving the tablet anyway...it's like giving a treat...they love it...i wouldn't wan to put my girls at risk...

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

chrisong
Doggyman

Nov 29, 2006, 5:28 PM

Post #4 of 15 (1253 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] How many of you really apply heartgard medicine to your furkids? [In reply to] Can't Post

Heartgard monthly & Deworm three month once

kaychia

Nov 30, 2006, 1:28 AM

Post #5 of 15 (1240 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] How many of you really apply heartgard medicine to your furkids? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there, Jessicaohh. I think the heartguard and the deworm actually is to protect your wow wow from different kind of worm infection. Therefore, even tho already take heartguard, still need to take the deworm tablets. But there are ppl who give the deworm once every six months if their wow wow is on heartguard as well.

Just my 2 cents.

silvrash
Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2006, 7:31 AM

Post #6 of 15 (1237 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

erm, this is just my personal experience and piece of mind.

Actually i just get to know about the Heartgard prevention medicine recent years. So now, i'm feeding all my doggies with heartgard monthly, because i think it would be safer than injection and i cant pay for so many of them at 1 go.

Even thou having all of them to have it is really costly for me, but then thinking of the consequence of "not giving", i choose to cut down my spending on comic, novel and food. Because i could not bare seeing another dying of heartworm again...

My family had many dogs since i was little, dad always take in stray dogs then have kids and on+++. And once in a while, a few of them will just suddenly die, either vomit blood or become restless and die slowy. Parents often say they had too much heartworms, but i never really knew what it was just that its deadly. I though it was incureable and cant be prevented back then. oh well, i was just a kid.

A few year back, my dad brough back a pup about 3/4 mths old. Its a crossed, very beautiful, active and Extremely Obidient. But he was only with us for 2weeks. He started to be tired, cant eat, kept laying there for a few days, then he left. The vet said it was too late. He probably got infected when he was on stray at the market place, unclean food or bites.

Its really sad to see them suffer, looking at me with their innocent eyes asking for help yet i could not do a thing at all. So for pet owners, if you can afford it and do care for you lad or want it to be with you for not just a year or two, then why not. Because if not, by then time you find your lad is infected... its already too late.

Chances of getting it? Vets always say they mainly come from mosquito, and mosquito is everywhere so i have no idea how to rate it. And i think hygiene and cleanliness count too.

kk, gl
www.wretch.cc/album/LilLiFashion

(This post was edited by silvrash on Nov 30, 2006, 7:39 AM)

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 30, 2006, 5:26 PM

Post #7 of 15 (1229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kaychia & chrisong] How many of you really apply heartgard medicine to your furkids? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there,

thanks for the advise...hmmm....vet told me if i give heartgard plus, no need to deworm d...only if i notice any worms on the stool, then i might need to deworm..

anyway, to be on a safer side...i think it'l b easier if i deworm oso lo....just in case....no harm rite if overgive???

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 30, 2006, 6:58 PM

Post #8 of 15 (1223 views)
Shortcut

overdose can bring harm....

the 2 products, deworm n heartgard are both drugs...

n u shld know wat's d consequence of consuming overdose drugs...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 30, 2006, 7:11 PM

Post #9 of 15 (1222 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] How many of you really apply heartgard medicine to your furkids? [In reply to] Can't Post

oh..thanks for the advise...in that case, i think i better follow vet advise lo...

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Dec 2, 2006, 7:33 PM

Post #10 of 15 (1206 views)
Shortcut

do not OD ur dog, they'l tend to be over relying on the drugs, will get sick easily & get infections as well. zeus takes dewormin every 6mths, u can always get second vet's opinions then compare & decide as everyone has their own ideas of a perfect world

ezekiel 25:17

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Dec 3, 2006, 5:58 PM

Post #11 of 15 (1202 views)
Shortcut

In fact, I only dose my dog the heartgaard thing once every two months. If you study the life cycle of the heart worm, it becomes obvious that that's enough. This was what a vet suggested.
She never misses a dose because my phone reminds me every two months.Frown

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Dec 3, 2006, 6:20 PM

Post #12 of 15 (1200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] How many of you really apply heartgard medicine to your furkids? [In reply to] Can't Post

oh...once eery 2 mths is ok? good...thanks...can save money too

hehehe..yeah yeah...i set reminder too as well as sticking the sticker on my calendar...so won b able to miss the date tooWink

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

wba84
Dog Kichi

Dec 4, 2006, 8:34 AM

Post #13 of 15 (1190 views)
Shortcut

Heard from my vet that if the pups is older than 6 months then need to perform a blood test first before taking Heartgard tablet... For pups below that it is okay for them to take the tablet without any blood test..

Oh yeah.. Heard that if we miss more than 2 months without giving our wow wow then we need to perform a blood test on him woh.. Not sure what side effect it will get as the vet din further elaborate it.. Will try to ask the vet on the next visit ^^

-------------------------------------------------
Visit Bobby At www.dogster.com/?395955 ^^
-------------------------------------------------

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Dec 4, 2006, 6:05 PM

Post #14 of 15 (1186 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wba84] How many of you really apply heartgard medicine to your furkids? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

yup...pups above 6 mths need to perform blood test. so both my girls performed the blood test lo..coz i only bring them for checkup after 6 mths old...hehehehehehhee

oh really??? if miss 2 mths, hv to reperform the blood test? omg...i better remember the date, else my pocket suffersWink

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

sun-arrow

Dec 10, 2006, 5:52 AM

Post #15 of 15 (1164 views)
Shortcut

Can't give to mine, vet said collies are allergic to this medicine.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my