IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
We need to brush our doggies' teeth???

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

potter

Apr 8, 2007, 1:52 PM

Post #126 of 133 (2578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] We need to brush our doggies' teeth??? [In reply to] Can't Post

I just want to add reading this thread. Anal sacs cannot simply picit one o..If the dog can solve the problem on their own, don't attempt to start doing it for them unless you really need to and after go see vet. Once you picit, in most cases you have to continuosly do it. Also, better for vets to teach you..a lot of groomers have no formal training on it, squeezing to hard can damage the anal sacs and you have a bigger problem in hand, might need surgery to rectify. Even if picit, don't do it too often, once per month is mostly sufficient unless your dog's anal sacs really has a bigger problem. Doing it too often can also irritate it. For a puppy, even if it is 3 months old, there is usually no anal sacs need to be emptied problem. Puppies who scoots a lot are usually due to worms or they just want to clean their butt after poo poo much like human using toilet paper. I know this because my dog does it a lot and I used to bring him to the vet and my vet informed me of what I should know and he didn't attempt to squeeze it because he was only 3 months old at the time! Later, as it turned out, he had round worm problem. His habit stayed till now, 10 months old liao..still like that but vet checked say no anal sac problem..it is because after he poo if I don't fast fast wipe his butt for him, he wipe it on my carpetCrazy, treat my carpet like toilet paper...now I always have to deep clean my carpet because of his this behaviour Unimpressed

As for teeth, I had Siu Pao's 4 canine baby teeth removed today because they will never come out on their own and the impacted adult and baby teeth causes bad breath and rotten teeth if left untreated. I waited for so long and until now, they still very muchh intact. Hopefully, no more smelly breath from him after this..every time he kiss me, I wanna pengsan lerLaugh Still, their teeth need to be brushed ever so frequently to mantain smiling white teeth. A tip for everyone who reads this...its not hard to brush your dog's teeth. Just corner them or put them on a table (small dog) hold the fur under the mouth (hold firmly), they might try to wriggle out but if you hold firmly and you quickly bruh a few times, eventually after a few practice they get the idea and will relax to let you do what you want. My boy is trained this way now he just stand/sit still on the floor let me brush however long I need to, usually 3 minutes done liao.
potter

www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=410379

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Apr 9, 2007, 11:57 PM

Post #127 of 133 (2566 views)
Shortcut
Re: [all] We need to brush our doggies' teeth??? [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the advise!!!

well...so far, i din ask any vets on using kids toothpaste..but an owner of a petshop told me that when i asked him to recommend me a toothpaste for dog...

normally, it;s okay to even swallow the toothpaste for kids...

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

supermutts
K9 Senior

Apr 30, 2007, 7:02 AM

Post #128 of 133 (2549 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] We need to brush our doggies' teeth??? [In reply to] Can't Post

i still think its better to use dog toothpaste like CET, if kids can't swallow the kids toothpaste, its not good for the dog to ingest it as well.

There are 1 dozen of new CET toothpaste in sea park pets now, its new, expire sept 2009, retail at RM 30.XX only, not sure who brought it in, maybe Mrs chui might give a bit of discount. Last time the price is RM 37.XX

but still SG is selling at S$ 10.6 only.

For me, 1 tube of CET last for 4 months, 2 dogs, brush teeth almost 6 times a week, only skip when im too bz.

My male dog just had his premolar n' first molar removed last week. I check their teeth often n' found out that abit of blood and abscess ooze frm below the gum at the first premolar. Should be some kinda infection below the gum.

A further check by the vet during tooth removal revealed that one 1st molar was lacking support at 2 of its roots, the 'pocket' is too deep, means the roots and bone support have been 'eaten' away. its best to remove the tooth as well.

A quote from dental vet . com,

"Periodontal disease starts with the formation of plaque, a transparent adhesive fluid composed of mucin, sloughed epithelial cells, and aerobic, gram positive cocci. Plaque starts forming twelve hours after dental cleaning. If the plaque is not removed, mineral salts in the food will precipitate to form hard dental calculus. The calculus is irritating to the gingival tissue, changing the ph of the mouth allowing pathogenic aerobic gram negative bacteria to survive subgingivally. By-products of these bacteria "eat away" at the tooth's support structures eventually causing the tooth to be lost."

that's y brushing everyday is highly recommended.

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

(This post was edited by supermutts on Apr 30, 2007, 7:07 AM)

supermutts
K9 Senior

Apr 30, 2007, 8:35 AM

Post #129 of 133 (2545 views)
Shortcut
Re: [supermutts] We need to brush our doggies' teeth??? [In reply to] Can't Post

the 1st molar on the left belongs to my female dog, removed last year, notice the 2 thin roots, its the side tht face outside.

there's no decay on the tooth, just that the roots have been 'eaten' away, the black stuffs are tissues and blood.

Don't Lost your dogs!!

(This post was edited by supermutts on Apr 30, 2007, 8:38 AM)

kohkohkai
New User

May 2, 2007, 2:07 AM

Post #130 of 133 (2536 views)
Shortcut

Yea. are there special brushes?

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

May 2, 2007, 9:17 PM

Post #131 of 133 (2529 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kohkohkai] We need to brush our doggies' teeth??? [In reply to] Can't Post

yes...but some say use children toothbrush can liao....

I think it all depends on your dog's mouth lor...like I have 2 ACS and with the folding of their cheeks, it's pretty difficult to use such a short handled toothbrush. So the doggies toothbrush are usually longer in length. Hence easier grip and can brush all the way in lor.

Right now I'm using a 3-sided brush head toothbrush. My mum got it from Singapore and I think I saw the toothbrush in the Pet Lovers Centre in Pyramid. Just started using the toothbrush on my bigger ACS but he doesnt seem to like it because he is used to the fingertip toothbrush.

Try checking out the SS2 Pet Supplies shop, they might carry a wider range of dental care for dogs.

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

supermutts
K9 Senior

May 4, 2007, 5:03 AM

Post #132 of 133 (2524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kohkohkai] We need to brush our doggies' teeth??? [In reply to] Can't Post

this type of dual ended toothbrush is long, and the angled head makes if perfect to reach inside the jaws.

im using this by cet, there is also a green colour brush looks exactly like this by triple pet?

if u r referring to sea park pet, i've just been there last weeken, they dun hv toothbrush at tht moment, i think.
the other shop near savemart i'm not sure.

anyway its always better to start with a finger brush for dogs who have never been brushed.
with finger brush, u might need to change the brush to the other hand in order for u to brush all the teeth in the dogs mouth....

the triple head brush gets the job done faster.

just make sure u turn around to face ur dog, n' brush the teeth inside the jaws, ie molars....

Don't Lost your dogs!!

(This post was edited by supermutts on May 4, 2007, 5:13 AM)

vinoviruz
ALPHA

May 12, 2007, 7:49 PM

Post #133 of 133 (2484 views)
Shortcut
Re: [supermutts] We need to brush our doggies' teeth??? [In reply to] Can't Post

nice pics & clear info

ezekiel 25:17

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my