First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wuzzles
New User

Aug 26, 2006, 3:25 AM

Post #1 of 31 (15258 views)
Shortcut
How To Avoid Ear Infections Can't Post

Hi All.

Found this article from the net when I was surfing around that I would like to share. Maybe some of you have done it before? Or at least for discussion sake... Any opinion is welcomed.

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/EarCleaner.html

Their main site is "http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/"

cheers!

takalimc
Novice

Oct 4, 2006, 1:27 AM

Post #2 of 31 (15172 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wuzzles] How To Avoid Ear Infections [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey cool site... hmmm it should work but are those things easy to find around here in M'sia Frown hehe well if you're trying it then tell us what it's like wether its effective or what... maybe a couple of us could chip in and get the stuff Frown

::The Spikey Site::
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
- www.dogster.com/?395652 -
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

johnhacu
Novice

Nov 9, 2006, 8:07 PM

Post #3 of 31 (15143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [takalimc] How To Avoid Ear Infections [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys, try it out for a week already and it is progressing very well with my silky terrier ear infection. The ear drop from the vet was not working effectively. The stuffs are easy to get if you know where and their term in chinese.

1. Isopropyl Alcohol - Can get at pharmacy like Caring. also called rubbing alcohol to clean wound.

2. Iodine Solution also known as Blue Solution frm pharmacy or chinese medical hall.

3. Boric Acid - Only at Chinese medical hall and known as pang-sha in cantonese and used to clean the dumpling leaves. Need only to buy a small pack.

4. Vinegar - you know where to get that.

Try it. Work for me and hope it will work for you guys also. Total cost less than RM10 with left over of items 2, 3 & 4 for next round. Sly

(This post was edited by johnhacu on Nov 9, 2006, 8:11 PM)

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Nov 9, 2006, 9:56 PM

Post #4 of 31 (15137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [johnhacu] How To Avoid Ear Infections [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, thanks for the information.

Jenn77
Novice

Nov 13, 2006, 8:34 AM

Post #5 of 31 (15119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] How To Avoid Ear Infections [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, my male lab is having major ear problem now. Can see puss on the cotton everytime I clear the right side ear. I dont feel like giving him antibiotics anymore as the previous treatment consist of anti fungus pills and loads of antibiotics. I think I will try the remedy out, because Im using pure apple cider to clean the dog's ears. Anyone have any better idea pls share.. Thanks.

johnhacu
Novice

Nov 13, 2006, 6:18 PM

Post #6 of 31 (15115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jenn77] How To Avoid Ear Infections [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Jenn, my silky was also having those yellow stinky stuff. After one week plus with the remedy it all clear up. Try it out and let us know. No need apple cider vinegar. expensive lah. normal vinegar only cost RM1.50 for a small bottle at the supermarket. Now, I apply it once a week for maintainance purpose. Good luck.

Jenn77
Novice

Nov 14, 2006, 8:13 AM

Post #7 of 31 (15103 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi Jenn, my silky was also having those yellow stinky stuff. After one week plus with the remedy it all clear up. Try it out and let us know. No need apple cider vinegar. expensive lah. normal vinegar only cost RM1.50 for a small bottle at the supermarket. Now, I apply it once a week for maintainance purpose. Good luck.

Thanks John! Anyway Im worry if my lab doesnt know how to shake the water out. I usually make the ab the cotton in the vinegar solution and clean em. If the potion doesnt come out, do I insert the cotton to absorb it? And If the potion does come out, do I still need to use the cotton to clean the ear canal? Or leave it as medication purposes. I still have some 'Surolan' frpm the vet to apply into the dog's ears.

johnhacu
Novice

Nov 14, 2006, 4:19 PM

Post #8 of 31 (15100 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jenn, I will let the solution in the ear for a minute or two and make sure yr lab does not shake it off too early. Most dog will tend to shake it off early. There might be some pain to the dog due to alcohol but you must hold yr lab head still. After that you can use cotton tip to dry it off a bit, gently. It doesn't have to be totally dry. Do this at least once a day. Ok! Good luck.

Jenn77
Novice

Nov 15, 2006, 7:30 AM

Post #9 of 31 (15094 views)
Shortcut

Yalor, sorry for my silliness.. got alcohol sure will dry! Btw, the amount u translated into ml is the basic of ingredient of the mixture right, everytime finish liao just use back the same amount of ingredient and mix it rite? The alcohol can get from pharmacy also? How to tell them, I mean just look for alcohol? Blush

johnhacu
Novice

Nov 15, 2006, 4:24 PM

Post #10 of 31 (15092 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jenn, I used the measurement from the cake making cup. No need to be very accurate lah. 6 oz of alcohol was a lot so I half it and follow ratio for the rest also (estimate lah). At pharmacy just tell them you need cleaning wound alcohol. Not easy to find on yr own. If U don't believe try it. Actually, it took me more than 2 weeks to finally sourced out all the ingredients especially the Boric acid. After finish make a new batch lah. Normally, you will have left over of the items for 2nd batch. This is indeed an effective and cheap way to solve the problem. Otherwise, you will need strong antibiotic to help out. Good luck again & better get moving. Oh yeah.. must shake the bottle vigorously coz boric acid do not dissolve easily. I got the plastic bottle with nozzle from the wella hair colour kit. Easy to use lah. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

Jenn77
Novice

Nov 16, 2006, 7:31 AM

Post #11 of 31 (15082 views)
Shortcut

Sourcing the ingredients out. Will keep u posted. Anyway will u be coming over to BU Park this Sunday? Alcohol u mentioned could be the one the vet used for surgery. I see that the alcohol melts the ear dirt easily. Hope to start soon b4 my Lab's ear gets worst. Now he didnt shake the ear yet, few more days i think he will. Smile

johnhacu
Novice

Nov 16, 2006, 3:44 PM

Post #12 of 31 (15080 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jenn, going outstation this Sunday lah. Enjoy yourself and hope yr lab will recover soon. Now I use the solution to clean both ears once a week.

Jenn77
Novice

Nov 17, 2006, 7:12 AM

Post #13 of 31 (15070 views)
Shortcut

Alrite then.. this saturday will go do some shopping, drive safely and enjoy ur trip oso.

Jenn77
Novice

Nov 18, 2006, 7:26 PM

Post #14 of 31 (15057 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi Jenn, I used the measurement from the cake making cup. No need to be very accurate lah. 6 oz of alcohol was a lot so I half it and follow ratio for the rest also (estimate lah). At pharmacy just tell them you need cleaning wound alcohol. Not easy to find on yr own. If U don't believe try it. Actually, it took me more than 2 weeks to finally sourced out all the ingredients especially the Boric acid. After finish make a new batch lah. Normally, you will have left over of the items for 2nd batch. This is indeed an effective and cheap way to solve the problem. Otherwise, you will need strong antibiotic to help out. Good luck again & better get moving. Oh yeah.. must shake the bottle vigorously coz boric acid do not dissolve easily. I got the plastic bottle with nozzle from the wella hair colour kit. Easy to use lah. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

John, the alcohol is same with surgical spirit or not? If so then I can get it.. Pirate

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 19, 2006, 7:04 PM

Post #15 of 31 (15054 views)
Shortcut

I still have some 'Surolan' frpm the vet to apply into the dog's ears.

Hi, you mentioned that you are using Surolan now for your dog...may i know it's good and is working?

my dogs are having mild ear infections too and the vet prescribed me with Surolan too...just started using it today....so wanna know if it is effective...

thanks...

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Jenn77
Novice

Nov 20, 2006, 7:19 AM

Post #16 of 31 (15050 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] How To Avoid Ear Infections [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I still have some 'Surolan' frpm the vet to apply into the dog's ears.

Hi, you mentioned that you are using Surolan now for your dog...may i know it's good and is working?

my dogs are having mild ear infections too and the vet prescribed me with Surolan too...just started using it today....so wanna know if it is effective...

thanks...

Well since u know ur dog got mild ear infections rite, do u clean it everyday? If so Surolan will work. Previously it was the same issue with my dog, so the vet prescribed some antibiotics + anti fungus + Surolan / Otomax for my dog. It works well and cured after 4 doses of medicine which burn my wallet badly. So Now I waana try John's remedy. Quite hard to find the ingredients. Shocked

johnhacu
Novice

Nov 20, 2006, 4:55 PM

Post #17 of 31 (15047 views)
Shortcut

Jenn, surgical spirit is fine cause the alcohol content is very high also. I know the ingredients are hard to find but I am quite sure it will work just fine. My silky had the ear infection for quite some times ,more than 4 weeks(with vet medication) and it was cured in a week (daily application). Good luck, Jenn.

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 20, 2006, 8:01 PM

Post #18 of 31 (15044 views)
Shortcut

hi,

yeah...i clean the ears every 2 days...but still they get infection...so now...i am cleaning it everyday (twice a day) as prescribed by doc....

good to hear that Surolan works...hopefully will see some progress soon..if really nothing happen, then i might try John's remedy...

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Jenn77
Novice

Nov 21, 2006, 7:59 AM

Post #19 of 31 (15034 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Jenn, surgical spirit is fine cause the alcohol content is very high also. I know the ingredients are hard to find but I am quite sure it will work just fine. My silky had the ear infection for quite some times ,more than 4 weeks(with vet medication) and it was cured in a week (daily application). Good luck, Jenn.

Wow Im happy to know tha surgical spirit is equivalent to the alcohol u mentioned, then I can cut down sometime and buy it! The vet used it to clean the dog's ears. The boric acid I need to get at the local chinese herbal shops.. Cant find it at the pharmacy.. John will let u know if all works fine. Thanks again for sharing!

JESSICA
Yeah, should do it often, no need twice a day kwa? Ur dog didnt reject meh? I think once a day would be good enough, then if else fails then use John's remedy. I have confidence it will work.

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 21, 2006, 11:07 PM

Post #20 of 31 (15027 views)
Shortcut

heehhee...yeah lo..my baby doesn't like it lo coz i do it twice a day..but wat to do..coz now got infection ma..so vet advise twice a day for 2 weeks....so now hv to lo..

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Jenn77
Novice

Nov 29, 2006, 7:28 AM

Post #21 of 31 (15013 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] How To Avoid Ear Infections [In reply to] Can't Post

John, sad to tell that my male's labs ear have gone red and swollen with foul smell! I guess the remedy failed! Now I need to feed em anti biotics.. I followed exactly the ingredients and only the 2nd day I applied the mixture and today after work I went back home to do the 3rd time and I see the ear have swollen and all red! I should have clean it and not poured the liquid in. Labs have ears pointing down and poor ventilation. Maybe it causes some iratation inside the ear. After I poured the liquid in I wait till around 1 minute only let the dog shake the liquid out, then only clean it with cotton buds. Everytime I dig in, the cotton bud came out dry. Anyway, for those who waana try it out, just use it with extreme caution. John, thanks for sharing again. Do let me know if u have anything that might helps.

johnhacu
Novice

Nov 29, 2006, 8:29 PM

Post #22 of 31 (15009 views)
Shortcut

Jenn, sorry to hear that it didn't work for yr lab. The solution itself does smell because of Boric Acid and the swollen part might be due to existing wound reacting to the solution. Normally, I will try to clear the solution with tissue first then with cotton bud and finally let him shake it off. Hopefully, the antibiotic will work for yr lab. Good luck again.

Jenn77
Novice

Nov 30, 2006, 7:21 AM

Post #23 of 31 (15000 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Jenn, sorry to hear that it didn't work for yr lab. The solution itself does smell because of Boric Acid and the swollen part might be due to existing wound reacting to the solution. Normally, I will try to clear the solution with tissue first then with cotton bud and finally let him shake it off. Hopefully, the antibiotic will work for yr lab. Good luck again.

yeah bought some antibiotics and some anti fungal pills for the dog. hope the swelling subsides tomolo, too much antibiotic is very bad for the dog.. kills the natural immune. Sigh.. FrownFrown

johnhacu
Novice

Dec 22, 2006, 2:21 AM

Post #24 of 31 (14948 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jenn, how is yr Lab's ear doing now? Hope the infection problem solved. Have a Merry Christmas. OK.

Jenn77
Novice

Dec 22, 2006, 8:40 AM

Post #25 of 31 (14944 views)
Shortcut

Hey John! Thanks for ur kind concern.. I only used the mixture to clean the dogs ears. Well I sapu alot of Himax in the Labs ears, n seem to improve alot! SIgh~ ANyway thanks again for sharing the recipe. Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my