Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
preventing my dog from going upstairs

juppie
New User

Nov 15, 2006, 3:03 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1430 views)
Shortcut
preventing my dog from going upstairs Can't Post

hi guys, i'm a new owner to a 2years old shih tzu. i've been wondering is there an effective way of training a dog not to climb up the stairs. my dog, he likes to follow me around.. which i find it cute, but seeing that i sleep upstairs, he followed me up as well which is against my parents. =(
he did not attempt to climb up the stairs in the first few days in my house, but after a week, he started going up and not able to climb down the stairs so i had to carry him down everytime (^^;;
i've tried a couple of methods like, saying "Dont" when he attempts to go up, putting treats below the stairs, but to no avail. and everytime he succeeded goin up n i tried to carry him down he would run away from me. =/

i hope this can be sorted out asap, coz my parents r quite frustrated bout it =( Unsure

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 15, 2006, 8:40 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1425 views)
Shortcut
Re: [juppie] preventing my dog from going upstairs [In reply to] Can't Post

is hard 2 train a 3yr old dog do go against sumthing tat he already did for years...

best is to consider fitting a child gate...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Nov 18, 2006, 2:58 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1420 views)
Shortcut

aiyo use gate la cuz i think u also lazy to train ade rite???

ezekiel 25:17

juppie
New User

Nov 18, 2006, 9:46 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1412 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] preventing my dog from going upstairs [In reply to] Can't Post

thanx for the replies, yeah i'm actually quite frustrated but my mom thinks that the dog gate makes the house looks less attractive =.-
i've been camping at the stairs to stop my dog from climbing up.. miraculously he did not climb upstairs yesterday night *woot*

mbless
K9 Kaki

Dec 24, 2006, 9:49 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1359 views)
Shortcut

You can get 2 pcs of the playpen n make a v shape to block the way... no need ugly fixtures if your mom dont like.. I use it to block my dogs from going up to the 3rd floor.

Sydney
Doggyman

Dec 29, 2006, 8:42 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1352 views)
Shortcut

Block the staircase with a gate or something high so your dog cant climb up or go through the staircase without facing the blockage

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my