Dewormed

shyeow2
Canine Addict

May 9, 2003, 10:55 PM

Post #1 of 14 (5410 views)
Shortcut
Dewormed Can't Post

Hi everyone,

Anyone know how long should we dewormed our pup? Besides dewormed & Vaccination, any other protection tablet should we give in routine?
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

Trivor
K9 Servant

May 12, 2003, 11:26 PM

Post #2 of 14 (5392 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shyeow2] Dewormed [In reply to] Can't Post

hello,
Deworm -> every 3-4 weeks.
Yes, pls see if your dogs have contacted heartworms by doing blood testing from vet. If yes, your dogs will be adminstered with thorough japs and medication; If not (thank god!!), it is advisable to take prevention as young as 4-5 months old. For full details, pls seek vet's advise.

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

shyeow2
Canine Addict

May 13, 2003, 12:56 AM

Post #3 of 14 (5392 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trivor] Dewormed [In reply to] Can't Post

i m quite blur because the breeder ask me to do it every 2 weeks when my pup less than 3 months. but then later the other breeder say every month once will do.. later the same guy (told me 2 weeks once) say 3 months once will do.

they say tablet more strong.. i m confuse.. coz my the other pup now about 8 weeks only deworm once and not yet go for second tab vaccination. shall i deworm again or what?

Trivor
K9 Servant

May 13, 2003, 6:00 PM

Post #4 of 14 (5382 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shyeow2] Dewormed [In reply to] Can't Post

hello there,
its better to go to vet to set up a proper schedule Smile
For Trivor, we did that once every 3 weeks or latest 4 weeks. Accroding to the vet, this is the life cycle of egg to larvea.
However, we have already started to give Trivor HeartGard +, this is for heartworm prevention and also for deworm. So, we have stopped deworming pill for her.

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

shyeow2
Canine Addict

May 13, 2003, 9:58 PM

Post #5 of 14 (5377 views)
Shortcut

Oh Thank you so much for the info.

I think I will seeking more details til his second tab inject.

I give my the other dog 3 month/ once.. I think I should check it out then..thanks

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 16, 2003, 12:15 AM

Post #6 of 14 (5328 views)
Shortcut

if i'm not sure whether my dog had any worms a not. can i just give her the dewormed tablet?

how should i starts to dewormed her? once every month or ...how?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Oct 16, 2003, 12:32 AM)

Kowpa

Oct 16, 2003, 1:08 AM

Post #7 of 14 (5324 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Dewormed [In reply to] Can't Post

Most puppies are infested with roundworms. Other worms may be present too. It is advisable to have your veterinarian check your puppy's stool be4 treating for roundworms . Other wise other worms may go undetected. Worm infestation are particularly harmful in puppies subject to over feeding, chilling, close confinement and a sudden change in diet. Stressful conditions such as these should be corrected be4 administering a deworming agent

Puppies should be dewormed at 2 - 3 wks of age and again at 5 - 6 wks. If eggs or worms are still found in the stool, subsequent courses should be given. There are a number of dewormers o n the market. No one preparation is advisable for all occasions. If u decide to use one of these preparations be sure it is safe and effective follow the recommendations supplied by the manufacture.

Adult dogs be dewormed only when there are specific signs of an infestation. A stool examination is the most effective way of making an axact diagnosis and choosing the best agent.

Problems may be caused by overworming with harsh preparations. They are stressful to the dog, irritate the intestines and actually may lower resistance to worms.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 16, 2003, 4:13 AM

Post #8 of 14 (5322 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] Dewormed [In reply to] Can't Post

i've tried to look around kinki's stools, but can hardly see any. do i suppose to search thoroughly in the stools?

is those worms will crawl around?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Oct 16, 2003, 4:14 AM)

kev21yng
Novice

Oct 23, 2003, 7:27 PM

Post #9 of 14 (5303 views)
Shortcut

Try adding grinded pumpkin seeds into his diet every now & then. read somewhere that it has deworming properties.

dpelican

Dec 2, 2003, 1:58 AM

Post #10 of 14 (5281 views)
Shortcut

Aiyah...worms and eggs not big like cacing, crawling around in the stool lah..If like that and you can see worms crawling out of the stool, your furry friend in big trouble already lah. I think your furry friend and you will both fainted liao...

Best thing is, take your furry fren down to a reputable vet, and seek his/her advice. Vet should check temperature and check the stool under scope to see whether got worms. Checking temp is required because, it's quite dangerous to give dog the jabs if he/she got a temperature.

BEST PERSON TO CONSULT IS YOUR VET. Don't 'kiam siap' on RM10 consultation fee, RM7 deworming tablet and RM 45-55 for 6-in-1 vaccination (average pricing given, could be higher or lower).

Amanda85
Doggyman

Dec 2, 2003, 8:11 PM

Post #11 of 14 (5276 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dpelican] Dewormed [In reply to] Can't Post

oh..i've went to the vet... but the doctor just ask me to feed the dewormed tablet and he did not examine her stools.

Pacco de Mongrel

dpelican

Dec 2, 2003, 10:23 PM

Post #12 of 14 (5269 views)
Shortcut

Shocked Vet never check furry fren's temp? This is a bit disgusting Crazy but what the vet will usually do is stick the thermometer up the f-fren's behind, take the temp, wipe a bit of stool stain from the end of the thermometer onto a slide of glass (+ some solution) and put it under scope for observation. This way, the vet can check whether the f-fren has any worms in its stool.

Well, if vet ain't checking, you can always request the vet to do so the next time you visit the vet. Regardless, deworming using tablet/chewy/solution type is still recommended. Check on packaging of the deworming product to see how often you need to deworm your f-fren, since each of them has different dosage/strength. You don't want the f-fren to get OD.

Heart worm tablet/chewy/solution is very important. If you miss the deworming, at least keep your f-fren on heart worm protection. Please note, heart worm protection usually requires never-miss, every month, same date administration. Because once heart worm infestation started, all this Heartgard+ or Interceptor is useless already to get rid of the heart worm.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Dec 3, 2003, 7:38 PM

Post #13 of 14 (5260 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dpelican] Dewormed [In reply to] Can't Post

ya, he did take the temperature, but i don't think he got examine it.

can i starts feeding the heartgard now without doing the blood test?

Pacco de Mongrel

Zoe
Novice

Jan 13, 2004, 11:09 AM

Post #14 of 14 (5167 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Your current vet probably took the easy way out by just prescribing dewormer meds as it gets rid of intestinal worms if they are present. Do you examine yr (human) kid's stool to verify worms before taking those 'Combantrin' meds? Same here I guess.

Heartworm is a different story. V hard (read expensive) to get rid off. So is cheaper to prevent.

Heartguard prevents heartworm infestations. It cannot get rid of mature heartworms once present. The blood test is to check if Kinki has already been infected with it. If so, other (expensive) treatments have to be done first (with lots of side-effects) to get rid of his Heartworm infection. Only when blood test turns out negative for heartworm infestation do you start with Heartguard.

There's also a different product called Heartguard Plus which adds dewormer for 2 common kinds of intestinal worms.

There are many kind of worms in the market and equal number of dewormers for you to buy. Find out fr yr vet what kind of dewormer was given to Kinki and to get rid of what kind of worms. At least you'll know where Kinki stands and whether you shd still go after the rest which may or may not be present in Kinki.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my