Housetrain - Special case

chiatsueyhorng
Novice

Oct 30, 2006, 11:58 PM

Post #1 of 19 (12128 views)
Shortcut
Housetrain - Special case Can't Post

Dear all,

I know this has been discussed for many many times but I still hope someone will look into my case and provide me some tips to train my puppy to housebreak.

I brought Hugo (10 weeks-old silky terrier) 1 week ago; he will stay in the cage at night when we sleep and in day time when we work, except when during weekend I will let him out most of the time to play in the living room. So far he has not giving me any problems like chewing on furniture or shoes because I got him a puppy Kong. In the morning I will bring him out after the breakfast and let him finish his business, but in the afternoon he would have to do it in the cage (with an under-tray) due to such a long period, I’m only back home around 7pm. When I’m back I usually find a lot of poo and pee in the tray. After dinner I will bring him out and wait until he pee and poo, but it often takes a long time like 1 hour I still sense nothing, I can see that he is sniffing around but he just refused to poo. I think he is confused because of the inconsistency, morning, to do it outside, afternoon, in the cage. So I’ll let him in to play, after a while he will suddenIy poo on the floor…. The first 2 days when I first brought him back, he will run to the cage to pee and poo, but now he refused to do so anymore.

I think my biggest problem is to cage him for such a long period in the afternoon, anyone any better suggestions?

Thanks

Hugo’s mum

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 2, 2006, 7:15 PM

Post #2 of 19 (12120 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chiatsueyhorng] Housetrain - Special case [In reply to] Can't Post

10 weeks old puppy is too young 2 hold their pee/poo for such a long time....

when he reach about 5 months old...he can hold longer.....

at that time, u can train him not 2 poo in d cage by placing some bedding for him....

as for doing it outdoor, did u use paper or grass?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

chiatsueyhorng
Novice

Nov 2, 2006, 7:49 PM

Post #3 of 19 (12118 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Housetrain - Special case [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Amanda!

I thought nobody wants to 'hiu' me here.

He does it outside on tiles, we do not have grass. So i will clean up after him everytime he finished, but i'm more than happy to do it. These days i can see improvement as he will run outside (as i always leave the door open) to pee and pooFrown, but he has a specific spot for pee and another for poo, i just let him choose, as long as he is not doing it in the houseFrown. and when he is out of the house my eyes never leave himFrown. There was once that i have to close the door to prevent him from going out (as he sometimes like to go outside and kacau the plant) because i just cleaned the outside floor with water and it's still wet. Then he peed near the door..., i think he meant to do it outside...felt very sorry for him... Unsure

So now the only problem is that he will have to do his business in the cage when i'm working. I hope this will be solved when he is older.Frown

Anyway, thanks for your time and for those new dog onwer out there. It's really not that hard to housetrain the puppy, good luck and have fun!

Hugo's mum

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 2, 2006, 8:21 PM

Post #4 of 19 (12113 views)
Shortcut

tile floor might appear 2 b kinda difficult, coz d texture might b analogous 2 ur living room....

but since he did it many times out there, i bet he actually had learn his routine...

my adult dog was also being cage during d nite time n when i'm away for schooling...n she manage to hold up to 10 hours...

so meanwhile, u juz need 2 tolerate wit ur dog...

2 avoid having some accident in d house, juz try to restrict him out there...wait till he did it....n let him had a final round outside b4 caging him back everytime....tat will help...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

chiatsueyhorng
Novice

Nov 2, 2006, 8:49 PM

Post #5 of 19 (12110 views)
Shortcut

Hi Amanda,

How old was your dog when she can hold for 10 hours?

Ya, i'll always bring him out before i cage him, but now i have to 'attach' some fencing to the lower part of gate so that he won't goes out to the road from there, he is becoming more daring now, everyday he explores more area of the house.

Hugo's mum

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Nov 2, 2006, 8:55 PM

Post #6 of 19 (12108 views)
Shortcut

Better be careful about that gap between the bottom of the gate and the driveway. People have lost dogs because of that.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 2, 2006, 10:05 PM

Post #7 of 19 (12105 views)
Shortcut

yeah....is very riskly...made sure u properly fence it up soonest possible...

i can't remember d exact time, but shld be approximately 6 months...

d best way for me 2 prevent my dog from doing it in d cage is tat i place sumthing like a tray right inside d cage itself, if my dog happen 2 pee or poo in d cage, she'll dirty her own sleeping area......then, she'll learn to avoid doing it... coz our dog oso know about hygiene, she'll prevent soaking her own coat wit urine...

initially accident do happen when i locked her up for too long n she kenot stand it.....but now, she's already an adult n she learn not to drink too much of water when she's in d cage...Wink

Pacco de Mongrel

goofydip
Veteran

Nov 14, 2006, 4:00 AM

Post #8 of 19 (12075 views)
Shortcut

is there any way u can suggest for me to toilet train my Goofy? i adopted him when he's 8 months old...and the ex-owner didn't trained him on this matter b4..and now he's already 11 months and still i fail training Goofy... I did always bring him to the toilet once I see that he need to pee or poo...but i see that he don't really hold his peeing and pooing when i'm not around...Unsureaiyah yah....waht should i do?Crazy

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 15, 2006, 6:48 PM

Post #9 of 19 (12064 views)
Shortcut
Re: [goofydip] Housetrain - Special case [In reply to] Can't Post

where do u leave him, when ur not around??

consider not putting him alone inside d house......best is to put him outdoor n he'll automatically do his business @ d grass...

n when ur free 2 supervise him, then only let him in d house...

Pacco de Mongrel

goofydip
Veteran

Nov 15, 2006, 8:55 PM

Post #10 of 19 (12063 views)
Shortcut

i stay in my shop where i work...Goofy is in the living room(second part in the shop)in his playpen...he sleep n play there...once i see him wake up, i'll lock him in the toilet for his pee n poo a while then bring him out again to play himself...Unsurejust bcoz i haven't succeeded trained his housebreaking, i don't dare to let him out rounding the living room...and bcoz i wanted to respect muslims customers here, so i have to let him inside n not in my front shop where my business going... n i c that Goofy don't quite know how to hold his pee n poo when his inside his play pen, so i had to keep on bc to bring him to the toilet every few hours...at night after i close shop when he's out of his play pen of course, he won't go to toilet himself for his business..he'll just let go wherever he wants...Crazy

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

(This post was edited by goofydip on Nov 15, 2006, 8:58 PM)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 15, 2006, 9:18 PM

Post #11 of 19 (12061 views)
Shortcut

how big is d pen....make it smaller so tat he will not be able to escape his own 'stuff'....

Pacco de Mongrel

goofydip
Veteran

Nov 15, 2006, 10:01 PM

Post #12 of 19 (12060 views)
Shortcut

a four piece play pen....if smaller, wouldn't he steps on his 'stuffs' and make himself real dirty lo?he has a bed in it...

goofydip
Veteran

Nov 15, 2006, 10:13 PM

Post #13 of 19 (12058 views)
Shortcut

and somemore if make playpen smaller, he might got no place to play lo?Crazyaiyoh...really headache...hope u guys got more experience can help me..Blush

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 15, 2006, 10:50 PM

Post #14 of 19 (12057 views)
Shortcut

tat's d idea of having smaller pen.....when there aren't any place 2 escape...ur dog will not choose 2 dirty his limited space....

Pacco de Mongrel

goofydip
Veteran

Nov 15, 2006, 11:09 PM

Post #15 of 19 (12056 views)
Shortcut

Shockedoic...then i should try...thanx for ur idea, man...

cindy_pebbles

Nov 22, 2006, 10:35 PM

Post #16 of 19 (12021 views)
Shortcut

Hi! I have a out-of-topic to ask you. I heard you mentioned Kong. What is it actually and where can I buy one for my Benji? Is it really good? And how much does it cost here in Malaysia? I am trying to get something to occupy my Benji being locked-up in his crate while I am at work. Tongue
Really appreciate if you could help me out with this. Thanks!Frown

chiatsueyhorng
Novice

Nov 22, 2006, 10:58 PM

Post #17 of 19 (12019 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cindy_pebbles] Housetrain - Special case [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

KONG is the company that sells durable dog toys that come with different shapes for different purpose. They call their toys KONG Toys. You can visit www.kongcompany.com for more details. I saw them selling in Ikano Safari World, Midvalley Pets Wonderland and My Pethouse in PJ.The price range from 25 to 70. The one i got for Hugo is the spaceship that i can stuffed some dried biscuits, but so far this is not his favourite toy. His number 1 is a mini kitty from McD happy meal....

I think KONG for dogs is like Barbie for girls...?

Hugo's mum

cindy_pebbles

Nov 23, 2006, 7:36 PM

Post #18 of 19 (12010 views)
Shortcut

Thanks! I will try to get one from the petshop then. :) Oh ya, how's the house-training? I have not succeeded in the house-training yet. I am training him to do his business in the toilet on the newspaper but so far, he will only do it in the toilet if i lock him in or if i were there to accompany him (but not on the newspaper tho' Unsure) But if i didn't guide him to the toilet, he will do it wherever he likes...Crazy
All the best in your house-training!

We have a new member in our family! Her name is Jessie, a toy poodle!

Visit Benji's blog to find out more!

http://www.benjiboyboy.blogspot.com

bkhwang
Dog Kichi

Feb 8, 2007, 8:26 PM

Post #19 of 19 (11909 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cindy_pebbles] Housetrain - Special case [In reply to] Can't Post

me too me too... my buttercup also like to pang sai everywhere when i did not keep an eye on her... haiz... then i scold her she will go to the poo poo place and sit there... like veli innocent nia... cis... kek sei ngo la...

dunno when onli she can guai guai go wee wee poo poo...
mike@mike

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my