Puppy refusing to take antibiotic pill

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 16, 2006, 5:55 PM

Post #1 of 57 (3194 views)
Shortcut
Puppy refusing to take antibiotic pill Can't Post

I have a problem of giving him the antibiotic pill... Everytime i put or force it in his mouth, he will vomit it out.. I have no idea on to make it take his med.. If he doesn't take it, he will not recover >"<

-------------------------------------------------
Visit Bobby At www.dogster.com/?395955 ^^

chrisong
Doggyman

Oct 16, 2006, 6:28 PM

Post #2 of 57 (3192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wba84] Puppy refusing to take antibiotic pill [In reply to] Can't Post

Use your left hand thumb & index finger holding your dog upper part of muzzle.

Right hand holding the pill and open the dog mouth.

Place the pill as far as possible into the dog mouth then quickly close the dog mouth and prevent the dog mouth open.

If the dog refuse to swallow the pill, just blow some air to the dog nose and the dog will feel irritated at their nose, then the dog will start to lick their nose.

Once the dog lick their nose, that mean the pill already consume.

Hope my explaination is clear for you to understand ya.Blush

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 16, 2006, 8:56 PM

Post #3 of 57 (3187 views)
Shortcut

hi wba84,

another option is to hide the pill in a piece of meat/ wet dog food. usually the dog will just swallow the whole piece of meat with the pill in it. works for me every time, and much easier, as i've given up 'forcing' the pill into my dog's mouth. all the best!

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 17, 2006, 7:39 PM

Post #4 of 57 (3177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] Puppy refusing to take antibiotic pill [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha.. I tried that.. and i think it work.. ^^ But i will be spending a lotz of money of wet food >"<.. 1 day RM2.60 ><

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 17, 2006, 8:35 PM

Post #5 of 57 (3174 views)
Shortcut

great that it worked! easy isn't it? dogs r easily fooled when there is food involved! Sly

erm, u dun hv to open a new can of wet food every day mar... well what i used to do last time when i had to give my dog antibiotics for a course of 2 weeks was, 1 can of wet food lasted for 4 or 5 days. i just added some wet food to her kibbles, stuffed the pill in the wet food, and the rest in the can i left in the fridge for next day... besides wet food, some owners also stuff the pill in bread... worked for some but not for my dog... maybe u can try bread to cut down cost in buying wet food? Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery

chrisong
Doggyman

Oct 17, 2006, 8:56 PM

Post #6 of 57 (3171 views)
Shortcut

Canned food can help your dog to consume the hidden pill in the meat.

Canned food also help build up tartar on your dog teeth. That mean frequent vet visit.

Canned food also help your dog breath more smelly.

Canned food also help your dog to become a choosy eater. That mean no meat no eat. Your dry food kibble will left untouch.

You decide what best for your dog.

No offence to ai_ney. just my personal opinion on feeding your dog pill. Even you not feeding your dog a pill also try not to feed them canned food. Canned food is something like human junk food.

Cheers

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 17, 2006, 9:28 PM

Post #7 of 57 (3168 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong, wba84] Puppy refusing to take antibiotic pill [In reply to] Can't Post

hi chrisong, we are supposed to suggest ways for a dog to take a pill, and not scare wba84 with the 'evilness' of wet food! haha! Laugh

by suggesting the use of wet food, it is merely a 'tool' for the dog to take the pill without any struggle or 'wrestling' with the dog... Smile

wba84, chrisong is right to some extent abt wet food, altho it seems more of a blanket statement... but i disagree with canned food being something like junk food to dogs... canned food is an alternative to dry kibbles, whereas treats, on the other hand, can be considered as junk food... Wink

every weekend, i mix wet food with my dog's kibbles as a 'treat', she loves them, and has no problem eating her plain dry kibbles on normal days... use yr own discretion when feeding yr dog... many ppl can tell u what's good and what's bad when it comes to food, but it is up to the owner to decide and understand and train the dog's eating behaviour, but this is a whole other topic altogether! Tongue

hope all goes well with yr doggie and the pills, and wishing yr dog a better health after the course of medication... Cool

Sookie's Photo Gallery

chrisong
Doggyman

Oct 17, 2006, 10:11 PM

Post #8 of 57 (3163 views)
Shortcut

Not all dogs still eat their dry dog food kibble after they tasted the canned food or home cooked food.

Canned food can't replace the dog food kibble. Is not 100% complete diet for our dog. Like you say, it just a "tool" to encourage dog consume the pill. Try compare any brand canned food & dry food kibble nutrition value and you see why I say canned food can't replace dry dog food kibble for our dog meal.

If you know the right way on how to feed your dog pill. You no need to struggle or 'wrestling' with the dog. So, learn the right way of feeding your dog pill, not using "tool" to feed them pill, is so much easy this way.

Is very easy for a new puppy owner to start training up their puppy to consume pill now. Start train from young & you wouldn't have a headache later. LOL

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 18, 2006, 1:51 AM

Post #9 of 57 (3157 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Puppy refusing to take antibiotic pill [In reply to] Can't Post

and not all dogs will NOT eat their dry kibbles after they tasted canned food... Wink can't just put a blanket statement and say canned food will cause dogs to be choosy with food... misleading neh...

canned food to me is a tool, a treat and food for my dog... depends how u want to feed it...

sookie is definitely not trained from young to take pills on it's own, i did not have the privilege to do that since i adopted her when she's already adult... so the easier way will be to hide it with other food... to me, that is the RIGHT way to feed her... Tongue hassle free!

whichever your own RIGHT way is, stick to it as end objective is for dog to take the pill... cheers!

Sookie's Photo Gallery

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 18, 2006, 2:18 AM

Post #10 of 57 (3154 views)
Shortcut

pacco is a bit weird....she will eat d pill on her own...n if she spit it out later, i'll scold her n she quickly eat it back...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

chrisong
Doggyman

Oct 18, 2006, 4:31 AM

Post #11 of 57 (3153 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Puppy refusing to take antibiotic pill [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
pacco is a bit weird....she will eat d pill on her own...n if she spit it out later, i'll scold her n she quickly eat it back...

Pacco really is a good dog

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 18, 2006, 3:57 PM

Post #12 of 57 (3146 views)
Shortcut

Thx for u guyz help.. I think i will need to train him to take pill on his own >"<

babymiki
Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2006, 7:20 PM

Post #13 of 57 (3142 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

LOL FrownFrown

Frown*~Germaine's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
*~Meeko's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
MY Blog FrownFrown

Frown MY Friendster BlushFrown

FrownI love my darlings Germaine, the Silky Terrier and Meeko, the Miniature SchnauzerFrown

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 18, 2006, 9:15 PM

Post #14 of 57 (3136 views)
Shortcut

hahaha! Laugh pacco is really one of a kind! great lar she!! Wink

Sookie's Photo Gallery

Kookee
Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2006, 9:28 PM

Post #15 of 57 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Wah-ahahhahahahahahahah!!!!! That's not called weird....that's cunningly smart!

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Oct 19, 2006, 11:56 PM

Post #16 of 57 (3119 views)
Shortcut

hi,

perhaps you can train yourself the right way to feed your puppy the pill Wink and it's good coz you can start early.....well...initially sasha will spit out the pill when i tried to feed her pill too (she was having cough)...so i tried all sort of ways to feed her the pill e.g tried to smash the pills to change it to liquid form to feed her, put the pill into the canned food...

well...the vet advises me not to do that coz as the pup grows older, there will always be occasion when they will need medication and most of the medicine given when they are old are in pill form (just like us human)...so it will be better to train the dog and the owner as well on how to feed them pill....so, i tried the way (as explained by chrisong to you with vet's demo)...soon, i find it easy to feed sasha with the pill...it's a matter of practice for both you and your pup...

after that, sasha will always run to me whenever it's medicine time Tongue she just take it like any other treatsSly

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Kookee
Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2006, 12:20 AM

Post #17 of 57 (3115 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Thx for u guyz help.. I think i will need to train him to take pill on his own >"<

That Uncle Ong punya idea-ler...tooooo technical and it does requires practice to chuck a big medi tablet down the throat...for my girl who pooh-pooh medicine (she has 6th sense whenever medi time), I use this real soft medium size marshmallow, make a cut in the centre, stuff the tablet in and she wallops it up. Of course, I gave her an extra piece of mallow for treat after she downs the laced pill. Fattening, hehehehehhehe.....but make life so much more easy and convenient!!! Besides, how fattening can 2-3 pcs of mallow a day add, rite, hahahahahahhahahahah!!!!!

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 20, 2006, 6:25 PM

Post #18 of 57 (3103 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kookee, ai_ney, babymiki, chrisong] Puppy refusing to take antibiotic pill [In reply to] Can't Post

oh yeah...becoz she's a 'bandaraya' ......

i still remember she ate a 'chewing gum' b4...i wonder where she get it frm....i notice her laying on d living room for such a long time, which is weird...coz she's alwiz busybody around.....n later when i check on her....she was chewing d gum....luckily she did not swallowed...or else, got 2 send her 4 operation...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Oct 20, 2006, 8:36 PM

Post #19 of 57 (3097 views)
Shortcut

wah....chewing gum ah? u must b shocked when you found out that!!! heheehehe...

yeah, sasha the same too...'sapu' almost everything....so nowadays i hv to b very careful not to leave anythign on the floor...if not, she will sure go n taste wan...even rubber band or anytgh she can find.....

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 20, 2006, 10:07 PM

Post #20 of 57 (3095 views)
Shortcut

i'm thinking... dogs would not know that we are giving them pills rite? i mean, it could be just another treat for all they know!

sookie is also a bandaraya, a vacuum cleaner... as with most pugs... eats anything and everything... but with pills, she will always spit it out when given alone... Crazy

Sookie's Photo Gallery

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 21, 2006, 2:12 AM

Post #21 of 57 (3091 views)
Shortcut

yeah...exactly...watever i hand it 2 her or she manage to find it...she will gulp it down....sumtimes if u happen 2 shout n said 'NO!', she even swallow it quicker than ever....Laugh

Pacco de Mongrel

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 22, 2006, 7:33 AM

Post #22 of 57 (3087 views)
Shortcut

Coz the antibiotic pill dosage is too high.. So the vet cut it into quarters.. Everytime eat 1 quarter.. I think the smell inside the pill that make him dislike it.. U know there are alwiz some coating that coat the pill to make it taste not so awful.. Previous pill is still okay coz the vet din cut it.. So i have no problem wif it.. ><

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 27, 2006, 12:12 AM

Post #23 of 57 (3068 views)
Shortcut

a qtr of a pill easy to feed lar... i know what... why not try to coat it with honey? mayb it'll do the trick eh? Wink (ps: i hope this won't start another discussion that honey is bad, bla bla bla...) Tongue

Sookie's Photo Gallery

chrisong
Doggyman

Oct 27, 2006, 4:36 PM

Post #24 of 57 (3062 views)
Shortcut

Why not stuff the pill inside a kentucky fries chicken?

I got plenty of nice & tasty food to suggest to stuff in the pill just to get your dog to eat. Tongue

(This post was edited by chrisong on Oct 27, 2006, 4:38 PM)

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 27, 2006, 6:07 PM

Post #25 of 57 (3056 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Puppy refusing to take antibiotic pill [In reply to] Can't Post

nah, i'm comfortable with my own menu... maybe u want to try that on yr own dogs, then they'll get to taste some other food...thx for the suggestion n invitation to chat tho... Cool

Sookie's Photo Gallery

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my