Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Canine Hip Dysplasia:
Golden's Hip Dysplasia

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Oct 15, 2006, 6:55 AM

Post #1 of 8 (9725 views)
Shortcut
Golden's Hip Dysplasia Can't Post

Actually and honestly, we can't tell why our Goldens have hip dysplasia. We can't tell the real reason nor can the vets. I have a Golden which had her hip problem when she turned 4mth plus. Now she's all grown up and going to turn 1 year soon probably next month. She has a very pronounce sway & ofcourse we asked her breeder what's the reason why she has it...

The breeder blamed it on us becoz we chained her up. Don't think that's the reason that caused it coz the chain is very long about 6 feet and we only chained her up for certain hours of the day to control her toilet habits. We also put her in the cage when it rains or when it was time for her to sleep at night. And he also blamed us for that! Imagine...Then, he said, oh it's becoz we let her walk and run on the tiled floor. She only slipped a few times but did not cause any serious injuries nor twisted her legs once hence, she could still get up for more!

Then I just met a Golden owner at my training ground a week ago and she asked why her 4mth old male Golden has hip problem. Oh it's very bad...worse than amber with her hip prob now. Imagine amber's one is already bad, that golden is terrible! The owner told me that she puts her golden in the cage for certain hours too. The Golden's breeder himself told the owner to put it in the cage becoz it's still young. And then when she asked the breeder why the dog has this prob, he actually blamed her for putting her dog in the cage. Gee...

From my perspective and what I think is the reason, I'm still not sure but I think is the answer, I just think it's genetic. If the parents have it, then it has been passed on to the pups. Goldens can also get HD from being confined in the cage for months without letting it our once just like the recent case of a Golden Retriever chucked at PAWS by its horrible owners.

Another one is by, having a terrible fall! Really banged up & twisted legs. Then, it can get HD. But not really from having a small slip. Not really...Coz most people are saying that this is wrong, that is wrong, everything is wrong. So what's the solution?

The only thing to maintain but not improve the hips is by giving glucosamine. Also try to avoid your Golden from jumping too much. That's another way to not make it worse. Run on soft grounds like grass or padded floors. Do you know my whole porch has been padded up with matts? Wow, cost a bomb but if we love and care and wana make sure our dog's hips won't get worse, that's the only way...My whole porch looks damn ugly now but what to do? Hehehe...

Sometimes having a pet dog really takes alot work, more work than taking care of a child, LOL!Frown

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 18, 2006, 8:50 PM

Post #2 of 8 (9710 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Golden's Hip Dysplasia [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Smile

I believe HD is not only genetics but also due to environmental factors ie,slippery floors,falls,jumps and diet.

Pups which eat too much when they are young grow too quickly for their biology to keep up. ( http://www.showdogsupersite.com/hips.html)

http://www.glucosamine-arthritis.org/...e-hip-dysplasia.html
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

babymiki
Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2006, 7:55 PM

Post #3 of 8 (9692 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Golden's Hip Dysplasia [In reply to] Can't Post

correct me if i am wrong cause i have little knowledge about large breeds..i read somewhere that if u caged GR in cages it will lead to HD?

Frown*~Germaine's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
*~Meeko's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
MY Blog FrownFrown

Frown MY Friendster BlushFrown

FrownI love my darlings Germaine, the Silky Terrier and Meeko, the Miniature SchnauzerFrown

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 23, 2006, 2:52 AM

Post #4 of 8 (9689 views)
Shortcut
Re: [babymiki] Golden's Hip Dysplasia [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I have read the same thing too. If a dog eats normally but does not burn it out (cause it's caged up),it will be considered over-eating as well. Not only over-eating but lack of exercise too. Smile

Of course if it its caged up for a few hrs its still quite alright as long as it gets to exercise enough later on.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

sun-arrow

Dec 9, 2006, 10:52 PM

Post #5 of 8 (9631 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Golden's Hip Dysplasia [In reply to] Can't Post

Genetic, that's why alot advice not to breed those with hip dysplasia problems. It's wrong for the breeder to put the blame fully onto u. Mad

Give Glucosamine with Chondroitin Sulfate.

Glucosamine is a form of amino sugar that is believed to play a role in cartilage formation and repair. Chondroitin sulfate is part of a large protein molecule (proteoglycan) that gives cartilage elasticity.

Must excerise your dog. That's what one of my friends does to her GR. The best way is to swim in controlled environment.

mbless
K9 Kaki

Dec 13, 2006, 7:09 AM

Post #6 of 8 (9617 views)
Shortcut

hips dysplasia is a genetic disease. Excercising the dogs when young helps to strenghten the surrounding muscles so to tighten the joints.

coffee

May 12, 2007, 7:56 PM

Post #7 of 8 (9431 views)
Shortcut

HD is a inheritable disease. It merely indicates that the disease can be passed from one generation to another. HD is actually a interaction of the HD genes with the environment. Uncontrolled and unethical breeding leads to the widespread of the gene.

Some dogs with the genes might not show any signs if all the precaution steps are taken. Some dogs, no matter what you do, the HD just got worse and worse. The worse thing is HD is one thing, knee problem might be a free gift. Sad.

It is true that exercise can strengthen the muscle groups around the hip. But is is a double edge sword. Means it can damage the hip as well. Do light exercise, start with slow walk, then slowly put more burden. Discourage the dog from standing up or jump on you and anything which put extra stress to the hip.

There is nothing the government and MKA can do to control this breeding. It is the pride of the breeder to produce the finest quality of the breed that will lead to the reduction in HD. But how many breeder can do that.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 11, 2007, 7:37 PM

Post #8 of 8 (9035 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coffee] Golden's Hip Dysplasia [In reply to] Can't Post

The best exercise for HD is swimming as it is not too tiring like running. And yes HD is an inherited disease nothing to do with chaining up. If your pup play too rough it will worsen the condition and i do not see what caging n tying the dog up can cause this. Breeders will never take responsibility in their hands..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my