Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
How To Potty Train My Shih Tzu ?

SuMMeRGaL
New User

Sep 13, 2006, 9:09 AM

Post #1 of 17 (1723 views)
Shortcut
How To Potty Train My Shih Tzu ? Can't Post

Hi, I'm a new dog owner of a shih tzu. i've no experience at all in taking care of a dog. Well im learning from many thread that actually teach us how to housebreaking my puppy. My puppy(Yoyo) just 2 months old and i bought her back from a pet shop.

Most of the time i keep her in a cage that placed in my room, i would like to potty train her to poo n pee in a cage. Im staying in apartment(just one toilet so its wet all da time) so its not so convenient to potty train her in toilet. Yoyo just came to my hse for 1 week and she slowly get used to stay in a cage. Weird things is she doesnt like to pee n poo in a cage. Probably she recognised that place is a place for her to sleep. I consult a vet b4 she said some sort of puppy they dont like to pee & poo on their sleeping place.

Everytime after i feed her i'll let her stay in a cage a while until she poo n pee then only i let her out n play. But she always hold her poo n pee. sometimes i waited her to pee n poo till 1/2 hour but she's still holding it. once i let her out she will smell everywhere n will poo n pee there. She did that even on my bed !!! >.< I trying to wipe the poo n pee n place it in a cage so that she will know where is the exact place she shud pee. Till now she still hold her poo n pee and doesnt want to pee in a cage unless she cannot hold it anymore.

Sometimes i will say to her " NO" for what wrong she did. She will started growling at me. She is quite naughty >.<

My plan was actually the use of cage is for her to pee n poo. since she's still puppy so most of the time i keep her in a cage. I was thinking to set her free in my house when she's growing. Maybe now still too early for that coz i knew some thread said if we giving them too much of freedom during puppy time, they will started to learn some bad habit. But now shes taking the cage as her sleeping place already >.< and dislike to poo n pee there.

ive no idea how to teach her potty train. Can anyone help giving me some advice ?

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Sep 14, 2006, 4:48 AM

Post #2 of 17 (1707 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SuMMeRGaL] How To Potty Train My Shih Tzu ? [In reply to] Can't Post

My suggestion is you do not try to train her to think of the cage as her toilet if that's where she spends most of her time. You'll be working against their primal instinct to keep their sleeping quarters clean, and it'll be frustrating for both you and the dog.

How about the balcony? Or the kitchen? Or designate some other corner of your flat as the toilet. Or keep your own toilet dry so you train her to use it as hers as well. You can use the paper method. this is described in a couple of threads in the Housebreaking section. The main thing is to keep her toilet area distinct and ideally far away from her sleeping quarters

(This post was edited by PangurBan on Sep 14, 2006, 4:55 AM)

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Sep 14, 2006, 8:45 PM

Post #3 of 17 (1696 views)
Shortcut

hi,

it';s very normal for yoyo to try not to pee/poo in the cage..this is because she treated there as her sleeping area....u wouldn;t want to do ur business at the place u sleep rite? so, the same applies to yoyo too...

designate a place for her to pee/poo...on a newspaper at the balcony, near ur toilet or any place where u think it's appropriate...young puppies need to pee/poo many times a day..so monitor the time and each time u let her out from the cage, guide her there.....soon she will know that there is the place to do business.

it's also normal for yoyo to growl at you sometime..since she has just been with u for about 1 week....she hardly knows u and everything seems new to her...u need to spend more time with you and when you have build the bond between both of u, everything will be fine...

u can let her move freely in the house once she is fully trained...but usually it won b so soon since she is still so young...as young as she is, u need to supervise her each time u let her out....u must make sure that the area u let her roam is puppy-proof area...

patience and consistency are all u need to train her.....so ENJOY and TREASURE this moment!!!!!!!!!!!!

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

SuMMeRGaL
New User

Sep 16, 2006, 11:11 AM

Post #4 of 17 (1686 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] How To Potty Train My Shih Tzu ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the advice ^^ . I'm currently training yoyo using the paper method. Hope she will pee n poo in newspaper lol. Today im so happy because Yoyo just learned a command to sit ^^. She learned really fast. This really surprised me ^^

Yeahhh I really enjoy this moment. They growing really fast. Today i brought yoyo to pet salon, i saw few shih tzu there which is actually 4 months + they look so much different already if compared to yoyo.

Well, paper mode is good actually for the beginning. Yoyo will pee n poo on da paper but few times after that, she doesnt really wan to pee there already. i brought her to the paper and she doesnt want to pee. So i let her to play on living room but not even 1 min time, she pee on da floor already >.< It seems potty train a puppy not an easy task >"< they learn other commands so much faster than potty ^^

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Sep 22, 2006, 10:37 PM

Post #5 of 17 (1663 views)
Shortcut

hi,

glad to hear that yoyo is learning fastWink

is the pic in the avatar yoyo? she looks so cute....Laugh

yup....same here....i oso felt the same...other trainings always seem easier than potty training...anyway, u must make sure that you always clean up the place after yoyo pee/poo...if u need to, place the dried & stained newspaper below a clean newspaper...n bring yoyo there when she needs to do her business. from my exp, they don really wan to do their business on their previous business..hope u know what i mean...last time when sasha was younger, i paper trained her too...but she won go to the same newspaper to pee/poo again. u hv to chg it...

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 4, 2006, 4:02 AM

Post #6 of 17 (1634 views)
Shortcut

Hi there.. Need some help here bout my shih tzu poo.. When i go class, i left it in my room for 5 hours++... He onli pee inside the cage (actually this is the first time he pee inside the cage and i'm veli happy wif that coz the cage basically is the toilet itself) He din poo at all.. When i open the door, he quickly run to the kitchen and poo there... I saw him pooing and quickly rush him back to the cage but a bit late.. How to train him to poo inside his cage >< I let him run around my room

-------------------------------------------------
Visit Bobby At www.dogster.com/?395955 ^^

chaiwoon

Oct 4, 2006, 7:56 PM

Post #7 of 17 (1630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wba84] How To Potty Train My Shih Tzu ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown
Seems that you've got urself a shih tzu. Is it from Eddie?.. kkeke.. if so, you have to ask him whether he train the puppy to pee poo in the toilet or in cage.

Since you lock him in the cage day n nite, by nature, he'll treat the cage as his sleeping place. Thus, he won't pee poo there.
www.dogster.com/?378834

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Oct 4, 2006, 10:14 PM

Post #8 of 17 (1623 views)
Shortcut

hi,

is the cage his sleeping place? if u leave him whole day there n it's his sleeping area, by nature he won pee/poo there unless force to.

so you have to determine a place for him to pee/poo. n guide him there each time you let him out from the cage. if you plan to let him pee/poo in the cage, then you have to find other place for him to sleep/rest while you are away...

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 5, 2006, 2:05 AM

Post #9 of 17 (1613 views)
Shortcut

Hmmm.. I din let him sleep inside the cage woh.. I let him roam around freely inside my room.. But the cage is inside my room too... He will pee there.. But he tends to hold his poo and whenever he get the chance to leave the room.. He will start sniffing and poooing @@..

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 5, 2006, 2:11 AM

Post #10 of 17 (1612 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chaiwoon] How To Potty Train My Shih Tzu ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah.. I juz got it from Eddie on Sunday noon.. Then i drove it back to JB straight on the same day.. Haha... Now sleeping with me in my own room.. I din let him sleep inside cage coz it look cruel to me.. Haha.. So i let him sleep under my bed.. @@ The good thingz is he never pee or poo inside my room.. But love to poo and pee outside my room (Living room, kitchen) Making meCrazy

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Oct 5, 2006, 8:33 PM

Post #11 of 17 (1604 views)
Shortcut

ic......i think your dog treats ur room as his room too...dats y he will always tahan n pee/poo when he is out of the room.

well...since this is case, you have to monitor when he needs to do his business. let him out of the room n bring him to a designated area (e.g toilet)..each time he did it right, praise him like you've won a jackpot....practice this consistently and soon he will automatically go there to do his business when u let him out..

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 6, 2006, 10:30 AM

Post #12 of 17 (1600 views)
Shortcut

The weird thingz is tat he will pee inside the cage.. But only 2 out of 5 he will poo inside the cage..

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Oct 7, 2006, 12:44 AM

Post #13 of 17 (1594 views)
Shortcut

i think your pup still young n cant control his bladder yet. that's y he still does his business in cage or ur room as he cant find other place to soothe himself...

u need to potty train him

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 9, 2006, 6:48 AM

Post #14 of 17 (1585 views)
Shortcut

Haha.. Finally he manage to poo in his cage.. 5/5 ^^
And he will pee there too.. Good for me coz easier for me to clean up the mess.. Onli 1 problem left for me to solve which is the barking when nobody around @@

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 11, 2006, 7:44 PM

Post #15 of 17 (1570 views)
Shortcut

Wondering y my pup knows where to pee and poo when he is inside my room.. But when i let him out to play at the kitchen or living room, he will pee and poo everywhere.. Izit he still cannot control his bladder yet or he is marking his territory @@
Due to this issue, i afraid to bring him out to play in the living room or kitchen.. Most of the time i spend my time wif him in my room..

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Oct 12, 2006, 5:05 PM

Post #16 of 17 (1559 views)
Shortcut

hi,

good to hear that your pup knows where to pee/poo in the room d....Cool

however, when you bring him out, you have to teach him as well....each time u bring him out of the room, bring him to the place that you want him to pee/poo...teach him like wat u did in ur room...

soon he will also know where to pee/poo when he is outside of the room. you cant expect the pup to run into the cage (which is in your room) to pee/poo when he is playing in the living room or kitchen. normally, to them , it is too far away...unless, each time while playing outside, u noticed that he wants to pee, quickly guide him back to the room to pee and then let him out again (if the distance is not too far away)....

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 14, 2006, 3:24 AM

Post #17 of 17 (1548 views)
Shortcut

Lolz... need to train him again at kitchen then again at living room >"< Laugh

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my