Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Humping Problem:
How old is consider 'normal' for dogs to start humping??

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Oct 4, 2006, 12:31 AM

Post #1 of 27 (19588 views)
Shortcut
How old is consider 'normal' for dogs to start humping?? Can't Post

hi,

i know this sound a bit wierd..but how old is a dog when he/she starts to hump? i guess every dogs will hump.....coz mine (2 female pups) at the age of 5-6 mths....n i recently just noticed that one of my pup hump on my other pup!!!!!!

shocking to me coz both are female n to me they are still babies!!!!! anyway, she din do it frequently...just a few times n after that went back to normal...din hump on me or my family though...

both of them will be spayed soon next week...since this is just the beginning, anyone has any idea if they will stop this habit after being spayed?

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

chrisong
Doggyman

Oct 8, 2006, 9:21 AM

Post #2 of 27 (19564 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] How old is consider 'normal' for dogs to start humping?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Humping cannot consider as a problem. Is their natural behaviour. You can't do much about it. Some puppy started to hump even they only 3 month oldShocked

After spayed, the dog still will hump!!!

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Oct 10, 2006, 6:46 PM

Post #3 of 27 (19545 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] How old is consider 'normal' for dogs to start humping?? [In reply to] Can't Post

oh...really ah? their natural behaviour??? to show that they are more dominant?

well..for sasha case, each time she humps on my shih zu, i will scold her...good thing is once i scolded her, she will quickly stop n sit quietly (well...for a while before she starts running n playing around again) is it okay for me to stop her? not really against their nature la hor...coz if she humps in front of visitors, not so nice lo....

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 10, 2006, 8:47 PM

Post #4 of 27 (19467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] How old is consider 'normal' for dogs to start humping?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Puppies (Not All) will naturally start humping by 1mth plus. Had one little 1mth old pup boarding with us for a few hours, started humping a cushion in the cage we put him in which had Faith's (My female dog) smell on it. And another 1mth plus mongrel puppy fostering with us started humping Amber (My other female dog) on the side. He did it only on Amber not on Faith. So see, very young puppies can already start humping. Don't think that hum was really a 'play hump' hump, but was a sexual thing! It's normal for male pups...

The picture I posted below, is a female dog boarding with us humping Amber. That's a dominant issue. But she's more on a male side than a female. Acts like one! She's got a lot of testosterone I guess...

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Nov 10, 2006, 8:50 PM)
Attachments: Mandy humping amber.jpg (207 KB)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 12, 2006, 2:01 AM

Post #5 of 27 (19462 views)
Shortcut

i really can't stand my dog humping....pacco hump on me b4....n i will alwiz shout @ her....

but now after several punishment, she stops edi...but i still manage to caught her attempt to hump on other puppies when she's on d field.

eventhough this might consider as a natural behaviour, d owner can actually manipulate it....coz dogs r not meant to b sitting obediently n heeling on d owner left side too....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 12, 2006, 2:58 AM

Post #6 of 27 (19460 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] How old is consider 'normal' for dogs to start humping?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

yeah..i think u r rite...guess we can actually try to stop or reduce the behavior....usually each time i see sasha tries to hump sze ern, i will just shout 'hep'...then she will stop d...so nowadays lesser d the behavior...

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 12, 2006, 3:01 AM

Post #7 of 27 (19459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] How old is consider 'normal' for dogs to start humping?? [In reply to] Can't Post

wah....amber allow mandy to hump on her ah? n she just stand quietly? normally when sasha tries to hump sze ern, sze ern will try her best to run away or hump on her back...

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 12, 2006, 3:24 AM

Post #8 of 27 (19457 views)
Shortcut

amber d 'kind' dog.....

as for dog....she can hump others, but when other male hump on her, she'll attack tat fella.....wonder y she's so sensitive n easily get mad when other dogs hump on her...

dat's also d reason y d male boxer @ home never dare to hump on her...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 12, 2006, 3:29 AM

Post #9 of 27 (19456 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] How old is consider 'normal' for dogs to start humping?? [In reply to] Can't Post

oh...u mean mostly female dogs will allow other female dogs to hump on them but not male dogs?

hmm....no wonder la.sometimes when sze ern ties to hump on sasha, sasha will just push her down n they will continue playin...but last week, when i bring her to training class, a male shih tzu tried to hump sasha (actually both oso neutered/spay liau la)....sasha was so angry with the male shih tzu....make that very angry sound that we quickly separate both of them....

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 12, 2006, 3:45 AM

Post #10 of 27 (19454 views)
Shortcut

nola. i dun mean tat...

pacco dun let any bother to hump on her....only she can hump on others...

Pacco de Mongrel

wba84
Dog Kichi

Nov 13, 2006, 12:18 PM

Post #11 of 27 (19443 views)
Shortcut

Bobby used to hump on my hand when he is 11 weeks old.. Everytime he try to do so i will shout NO at him.. Eventually the habit goes off... ^^

-------------------------------------------------
Visit Bobby At www.dogster.com/?395955 ^^
-------------------------------------------------

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 16, 2006, 12:07 AM

Post #12 of 27 (19432 views)
Shortcut

ooooo...same like sasha....the other day, a male shih tzu tried to hump on sasha...she got very angry!!!

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

zen
Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2006, 12:59 AM

Post #13 of 27 (19398 views)
Shortcut

hi, same case here. My Ben Ben also got humping pro, he always hump on me & my bf hands or even the bed Crazy I always shout at him when he trying to do it....haiih.

Benjamin, my baby boy 4everwww.colliebenjamin.blogspot.com

No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does. ~Christopher Morley

FrownBen@Benjamin, my baby boy.Frown

The cross breed with the most amazing eyes.
http://www.colliebenjamin.blogspot.com

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 25, 2006, 8:38 PM

Post #14 of 27 (19375 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zen] How old is consider 'normal' for dogs to start humping?? [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah lo.....same here...but good thing is each time sasha starts to hump on sze ern, i will shout 'hep' and she will stop d....

so lately lesser d....

mayb bcoz ben ben is male dog....i think male dogs are more prone to humping compare to female....though female oso hump la

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

crazytazz

Dec 21, 2006, 6:37 PM

Post #15 of 27 (19304 views)
Shortcut

my rooney also "starts" to hump lio..he only 2 months old and me and my bf also was wondering "2 months old oni..so fast know how to hump??"...well..the first person he hump was on me...since he knows im the one who always care for him...and whenever he tries to do it, i shout "NO!!!"..then he walk away...but realise he never dare to hump on my bf...he did tried once.but whenever my bf stares at him..he walked away... Frown..thou rooney is belong to both of us.

dont know consider funny or maybe he knows who's the owner now.Tongue

worst thing is he start to hump on my bf's brother, mom and also grandma...aiyoyo....dono how to make him dont do so often.

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Dec 21, 2006, 6:57 PM

Post #16 of 27 (19303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazytazz] How old is consider 'normal' for dogs to start humping?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

i hrd that if u neuter him, the humping prob won get too serious...but he will still hump la...

well..for my girls, what i did is each time i see them humps, i will scold them...n they will stop immediately...

lucky thg is that my girls only hump on each other n not on us...but sasha will hump more often than sze ern..i think it's a sign of dominance lo...

anyway, after i spayed them, this prob reduces d...come to think of it..i don see sasha humping lately d...Wink

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

crazytazz

Dec 22, 2006, 6:03 PM

Post #17 of 27 (19298 views)
Shortcut

morning...Frown

i did scold rooney whenever he tried to hump on me, then i will give him one stare look, then he stop, but when he look at u, he will give you one look as if very ke lian like that.. Then i slowly turn away and smile..but kenot let him see, else he tot im playing with him. Cannot tahan laughing.

Frown

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Dec 22, 2006, 10:41 PM

Post #18 of 27 (19294 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazytazz] How old is consider 'normal' for dogs to start humping?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hehehehe..yeah...agree...they are really expert in showing the pitiful face...

but we must not show to them that we will give in lor.....like wat u did is rite..turn away if u must to laugh or anythgWink

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

goofydip
Veteran

Dec 23, 2006, 1:32 AM

Post #19 of 27 (19292 views)
Shortcut

yah...i agree they r very good in this...Goofy even pretend can't see me once he did something wrong...sometimes he go back to his bed and close his head with his hand...sometimes just lay down and pretend look the opposite way where i'm coming while his ears turning to my footsteps way....really naughty ar...when i stared at him with angry faces, he'll turn his head here la, there la, pretend can't see me la...if cannot tahan, he'll walk away...so bad...Mad

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

crazytazz

Dec 24, 2006, 1:31 AM

Post #20 of 27 (19285 views)
Shortcut

jessica.....

yeahlo!!! he very very naughty le lately..always hump on ppl's leg...yesterday i was sitting down on floor, and whenever i sit on floor, he will always come over to sleep on my crossed leg. So yesterday i tried not to let him sleep on my lap...he was trying to hump on my back!!!! Frown

siao siao little fella..summore trying to bite my tied up hair..aiyohh..super hyper man that fella...uptill my bf have to pull that fella away....then i look at him again with a stare...he look down and slowly on my lap to sleep again...this fella aaa......they pretend nothing happen earlier like that...adishhh..pengsan..

wahh....goofy also another smart fella....can close the eye with hand summore..!! hahahha Frown

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Dec 26, 2006, 11:48 PM

Post #21 of 27 (19280 views)
Shortcut
Re: [goofydip] How old is consider 'normal' for dogs to start humping?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

wah..goofy so clever n cute...closes the eye with his hand...jeheheheehe..i can imagine that...

yeah....sasha also the same...whenever they did somethg wrong, they will juz lie down quietly n try not to look at my eyes...will show the pitiful face..

n usually if i see the way she runs n sit in the bedroom, then i know she's up to somethg bad in the living room d..hahahahaha..

well..nvr seen sasha closes her eyes with her hand...wish i can see that too....heheehe..i sure tak tahan n laugh wan....

but normally if she go n eat somethg she found on the floor, n when i look at her face, she will stop chewing n look away...n when i come to her, she will quickly cabut...notti girl indeed

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Dec 26, 2006, 11:52 PM

Post #22 of 27 (19278 views)
Shortcut

hi,

u hv to show ur displease each time he tries to hump u....rooney so clever...will come n manja again after he knows he did somethg bad....he knows his mommy sure will give inWink

but if he humps on your leg, say 'NO' to him n push him away. repeat this if he tries again. n if he immediately comes n try to manja after wat he did, ignore him..let him know that u r angry with him..i know it;s kinda hard but u hv to b strict with him lor...coz if he gets bigger n the humping persist, u'l hv problem later on...but u don hv to ignore him for long la...coz after a few minutes, i doubt he remembers wat happen earlier also...hahahahahaLaugh

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

goofydip
Veteran

Dec 27, 2006, 12:22 AM

Post #23 of 27 (19277 views)
Shortcut

(but normally if she go n eat somethg she found on the floor, n when i look at her face, she will stop chewing n look away...n when i come to her, she will quickly cabut...notti girl indeed)

yes yes yes....same to Goofy...naughty boy...just know how to make pity faces...

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

Deiselover
New User

Jun 2, 2007, 10:01 PM

Post #24 of 27 (18782 views)
Shortcut
Re: [goofydip] How old is consider 'normal' for dogs to start humping?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, I must first say that I am having quite the time trying to read these posts. This internet language used by most kids now is just unbelievable! I didn't seem to find in this topic when I can neuter my baby. He is almost 4 months old, and is also humping. Usually the sterilization process will help to alleviate the urge to hump, but is 4 months too early?
Welcome To The Family Deisel!
Much Love,
William, Stephanie, Allie

speckledpepper

Mar 2, 2008, 8:14 PM

Post #25 of 27 (17623 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Deiselover] How old is consider 'normal' for dogs to start humping?? [In reply to] Can't Post

4 months isnt too early, actually, in UK, they will do it even at 2 months of age for pups that are up for adoption. Neutering does reduce greatly the humping problem but certainly not eliminate especially if they are matured dogs ald used to it. but neutering ur pup now, will also eliminate spraying/marking behaviour n will pee fully on 4, of course, that will kill ur grasses, but better then staining the tyres with their strong odour and getting the gates rusty. hahaha. neuter anytime soon when their testicles descends is the best if you are worried puppy being too young. like say, 4-6 months for medium breed 15kg.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Log on to www.rescue2rehome.blogspot.com to view more rescued homeless pets up for adoption!! or call 012 332 9952.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my