Home: Behavioral Problems: Dominant Dog Issues:
Help! My dog doesnt want to eat!! picky dog

joslin_lim
Novice

Sep 25, 2006, 5:06 PM

Post #1 of 25 (15468 views)
Shortcut
Help! My dog doesnt want to eat!! picky dog Can't Post

I bought a labrador puppy yesterday. She is about 3 months. Yesterday I fed her puppy's milk and dog biscuits (pedigree brand), she sniffed at the food and walk away hungrily. I knew she was hungry. So I gave her rice hopefully she will eat it .. but still the same .. she licked it at first then walked away again. She kept looking for food. My daughter is eating those junk food like (ring, twistie, etc) and the my dog loves to eat that kind of food. Those food may harm her and made her hair What should I do? I afraid she will strave to death!!!

Could somebody pls guide me! or teach me how to buy a right dog food for my pup!!?
[

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Sep 28, 2006, 2:18 AM

Post #2 of 25 (15455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joslin_lim] Help! My dog doesnt want to eat!! picky dog [In reply to] Can't Post

The puppy will take a few days, or even longer, to adjust to a new environment and this includes going off its food. You only need to worry if the puppy keeps refusing to take any food or if the puppy is rejecting her food because she's ill.

You should find out from the breeder or petshop where you got the puppy, what they've been feeding her, and give her that. This will ease the transition to her new surroundings.

joslin_lim
Novice

Sep 28, 2006, 6:42 PM

Post #3 of 25 (15449 views)
Shortcut
Re: Help! My dog doesnt want to eat!! picky dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile PHEW .. thanks for the advice. Now I started to fed DODO fish meat. And she likes it. Unsure But fish meat is quite expensive. When should I start to feed her dog food? Around how many months? I thought she would love to drink milk and eat dog biscuit food because the ex-owner told me. The owner also told me that she is very picky on food. Is this natural? If she kept eating rice and meat, (no nutritions at all) will this affect her health or due to falling hair? She stills look skinny and bone-ny .. like the picture on the left

Blush It is my first time bought a pure breed dog .. so no experience of taking care of dog at all. Angelic
[

Amanda85
Doggyman

Sep 28, 2006, 10:25 PM

Post #4 of 25 (15447 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joslin_lim] Help! My dog doesnt want to eat!! picky dog [In reply to] Can't Post

rice n meat is not 'no nutrition la'....is juz not balance enough...shld add vege n fruits too...

but ofcoz to make things easier for u....dog food is d choice....if ur dog refuse to eat dog food, this simply means she's picky..

dogs won't starve themselve to death....they'll eventually eat when they r hungry....

if u wan 2 encourage ur dog to eat d dog food, u can add some meat or canned food into d dry kibble...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

joslin_lim
Novice

Sep 28, 2006, 11:48 PM

Post #5 of 25 (15440 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Help! My dog doesnt want to eat!! picky dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue sorry about the nutrition la ... of course i would provided the best for my dodo. maybe she is very picky food dog

Mad no wonder her ex owner wanna sell her. canned food also don wan to eat le ..

the ex-owner told me she likes to eat biscuit and drink milk. she was lying to me !! ohwell, since i'm her "new mommy" i will treat her very well.

does anyone have this kind of situation b4?
[

Amanda85
Doggyman

Sep 28, 2006, 11:54 PM

Post #6 of 25 (15436 views)
Shortcut

since u r d new owner....then u shld train ur dog d way u wan it....don't pamper her too much...hahahaLaugh

my dog went 'puasa' for subsequent 3 days b4....juz becoz she don't wan 2 eat plain kibble...

but i juz ignore her irritating behaviour.....n let her starve herself....Cool

n now, she is 'bandaraya'....everything oso sapu habis...Wink

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Sep 29, 2006, 12:42 AM

Post #7 of 25 (15434 views)
Shortcut

I would agree with Amanda. Unless the puppy is ill, it won't harm him to go without food for a couple of days if he's being picky. If you pamper him now, you're sending him the wrong signal: mummy/daddy will always feed me what I like; if I don't like something, he/she will give me something else instead.

joslin_lim
Novice

Sep 29, 2006, 8:09 AM

Post #8 of 25 (15426 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] Help! My dog doesnt want to eat!! picky dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Sly youre right. i'm going to be strict at her. show her who's the boss. Shocked I got questions in my mind for so long. Need to ask you guys pro Cool .. when i bought DODO, the ex-owner only gave me

*health card contains microchip number. and the veterinarian's clinic cop. 2 stickers of the vaccine.

*photocopy of her parent's detail (champion bloodline la, imported from foreign country la) donno true or not

he didn't give me the birth/MKA certificate. he said that I have to wait for 2 months because it's still being processing. When time has come, he will post it to me.

q1: izzit true that we have to wait for the certificate for that long?

q2: does your dog have birth certificate? is MKA certificate same with birth certificate?

DODO is not that good quality actually. I bought it BETWEEN RM500- RM600. I think DODO has leg problems and picky on food. No wonder so cheap! Mad so angry. HHPMMP! But now she is better. After i gave her homeopathy medicine. Really works! can cure her homesick on the 1st day...
[

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Sep 29, 2006, 8:29 AM

Post #9 of 25 (15424 views)
Shortcut

the pedigree certificate will take a few months to process this is true.

When a bitch whelps, the breeder will register the litter with the and then apply for the pedigree certificates. So the papers that document the registration of the litter is not the same as the pedigree certificate. That will be issued only much later, after what must be a really tedious administrative process.

Dodo looks like a golden retriever? They can have hip dysplasia. It's a genetic defect found in large breeds. Better get the vet to sort this one out.

joslin_lim
Novice

Sep 29, 2006, 6:22 PM

Post #10 of 25 (15417 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] Help! My dog doesnt want to eat!! picky dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocked o ic ...kuraeyo? so the ex owner must give me 2 documents (original??)

*pedigree cert

*registration of the litter

DODO is purebreed labrador. her fur is short. so she is not golden.

what is this hip dysplasia? iziit CURABLE? WHAT WILL THE VET TO DO HER? cut of her leg or give medicine? actually it's not her hip, it's her right front leg. that's doesn't count as "hip" doesn't it? but DODO is so young!!?? Unsure how could she infected by her mother??
[

Kookee
Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2006, 7:50 PM

Post #11 of 25 (15412 views)
Shortcut

Heyah Joslin,

Dodo the Cute-sy....You have a good start by feeding her fish. Recommended coz most dogs are receptive to fish protein and easier to digest as well. Try dory fish, boneless, less messier, value for money and widely available. Or else, try fresh anchovies. Emit extremely pungent smell when boiled but my girls love it. The bones are very fine and shouldn't coz any complication, beside being rich in calcium. Not too expensive and readily available. But good to feed her boneless until she's older. Whatever food you are feeding her, just try to monitor for signs of allergy. One dog's meat is another's poison. There's just no short cut to find the suitable food for Dodo. Ours was by trials and errors as Kookee my lab used to suffer from skin allergy. She will break-out once in a while if she steals her sister's food, chicken. So far, fish seems to work fine with Kookee.

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

Kookee
Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2006, 8:13 PM

Post #12 of 25 (15410 views)
Shortcut

Heheheh...Dodo does look like a true-blue lab, so you shouldn't be too worried about her ancestry. Hip dysplasia or notoriously known as HD is a condition that is soooooooo associated with large breed dogs, a fact that one has to be cautioned of before getting a dog. Kookee also has HD....so again, no cause of worry. Your vet should be able to tell you how to manage the condition if Dodo has HD. The right management will prevent the problem from developing. The fastest way to know whether she has it is to send her for x-tray, just the hip area. Preventive management (also the cheapest) commonly used would be weight management and diet management including putting her on vet recommended supplementary. Curative is through surgery, only in worst case scenario. Actually you will know whether she has HD just by looking at the way she walks. Kookee walks with a slight gait, very sexy....Despite her being obese, her HD has not rear its ugy head. She's on glucosamine supplement which somehow help to manage the condition.

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Sep 29, 2006, 8:33 PM

Post #13 of 25 (15406 views)
Shortcut

Haiyoh, it's not an infectious diseaselah. It's a genetic defect, inherited through her genes. If it's a problem with the front leg, then it's something else. Maybe she's not been properly fed by her previous owner, and has a weak leg due to some deficiency. Good nutrition should do the trick. But get a vet to have a look at her.

You should only get the pedigree cert. The litter registration papers are for the whole litter and belongs to the breeder.

joslin_lim
Novice

Sep 30, 2006, 10:08 PM

Post #14 of 25 (15399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kookee] Help! My dog doesnt want to eat!! picky dog [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Heheheh...Dodo does look like a true-blue lab, so you shouldn't be too worried about her ancestry. Hip dysplasia or notoriously known as HD is a condition that is soooooooo associated with large breed dogs, a fact that one has to be cautioned of before getting a dog. Kookee also has HD....so again, no cause of worry. Your vet should be able to tell you how to manage the condition if Dodo has HD. The right management will prevent the problem from developing. The fastest way to know whether she has it is to send her for x-tray, just the hip area. Preventive management (also the cheapest) commonly used would be weight management and diet management including putting her on vet recommended supplementary. Curative is through surgery, only in worst case scenario. Actually you will know whether she has HD just by looking at the way she walks. Kookee walks with a slight gait, very sexy....Despite her being obese, her HD has not rear its ugy head. She's on glucosamine supplement which somehow help to manage the condition.

Angelicwow ... is that your dog? (labrador) looks so healthy and lazy ...Tongue wish my DODO will be like that when she grown up. Unimpressedhmm. maybe i should bring her to a vet to have a checkup. hopefully it's not serious .. em.. what you mean by "true blue lab"" Tongue sorry le, my english is very X X la.. so dont understand lo.

Wink guess what? her appetite is getting better (but still picky!!) i gave her eat high quality fish le.. a kilo cost like RM19 .. chop it up, and cook it.

now she is like a fat baby lying on her mattress .. can't be bother to walk Blush tummy is so big. wonder if she have worms in the tummy???
[

joslin_lim
Novice

Sep 30, 2006, 10:13 PM

Post #15 of 25 (15398 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Haiyoh, it's not an infectious diseaselah. It's a genetic defect, inherited through her genes. If it's a problem with the front leg, then it's something else. Maybe she's not been properly fed by her previous owner, and has a weak leg due to some deficiency. Good nutrition should do the trick. But get a vet to have a look at her.

You should only get the pedigree cert. The litter registration papers are for the whole litter and belongs to the breeder.

hey pangurban .. can i ask for the photocopy of registration of litter from the ex-owner? ... actually i just wanna match the microchipped number with the health card's microchipped number. just to make sure this is the pup from the champion bloodline parent ... .. izzit rude for asking?
[

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Oct 1, 2006, 12:38 AM

Post #16 of 25 (15396 views)
Shortcut

You'd better ask one of the breeders here about this sort of etiquette. The registration papers will contain personal information that the breeder might not want to divulge to you.

The microchip number should be on the pedigree certificate. I'm not familiar with the process of lodging registration of litter papers and all but I doubt you'll find the microchip number there. I'm sure someone else here can enlighten you on this matter.

By the way, I've just realised that there's such a thing called Elbow Displaysia as well.

joslin_lim
Novice

Oct 1, 2006, 6:18 AM

Post #17 of 25 (15393 views)
Shortcut

Wink i asked the ex-owner already. he said he will mail it to me ... reason of doin all this because i afraid i bought a poor quiality bloodline puppy ...Tongue

so the elbow thingi is same with the hip right?
[

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Oct 1, 2006, 9:07 AM

Post #18 of 25 (15391 views)
Shortcut

I suppose it is. It's not something I've paid much attention to since my doggie has the word miniature in his breed name.

Kookee
Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2006, 9:13 PM

Post #19 of 25 (15385 views)
Shortcut

Yupe, that's Kookee, our lab. And yes, she's healthy and pretty lazy. And no, you do NOT want Dodo to grow up to be liked Kookee. Kookee is grossly obese @ 40kgs and despite on diet, she's still putting on weight and we have to endure the constant lecture from our vet every time she goes there. Kookee is only 2 yrs old, so, we have big cause to worry.....major time HD. 'True-blue' means genuine, real-real, authentic etc etc...hehehehe! Wah, RM19/kg is a bit of high side, yeah. Try dory-lah. One big pack only about RM10++. One time cook one fillet only. She's eating the fish with her kibble, rite? Wet her kibble with a bit of the fish gravy, easier for her to eat. We put a bit of olive oil with the fish-kibble mixture. And so long you dewormed her on time, there shouldn't be any problem with the big tummy thingy.

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

joslin_lim
Novice

Oct 4, 2006, 12:29 AM

Post #20 of 25 (15370 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kookee] Help! My dog doesnt want to eat!! picky dog [In reply to] Can't Post

o ic Tongue

how long will it take if DODO grow like Kookee that big? 1 yr?

you recommendeed the brand of "dory" to me. where can find it? supermarket?
[

Kookee
Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2006, 10:02 PM

Post #21 of 25 (15346 views)
Shortcut

Heyah Joslin,

Dodo will grow to Kookee's size if you overfed her, on top of offering her treats thru-out the day etc etc. Same as human's child....the high nutrients content in e.g. milk powder will have undesirable effect if fed excessively. My kiddies are on Eagle-Pack, super-duper high nutrition and not knowing the fact, we fed the 2 gals two huge cups a day last time...Now, we only fed them one big cup once a day...which is already more than suffice. Trust me, no overweight dog is healthy..that include mine. Kookee does appear healthy now but we won't know the problem in long term.

Dory is a type of fish...normal grade fish for human consumption but consider quite premium for doggy. Check it out at your hypers.

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 7, 2006, 12:54 AM

Post #22 of 25 (15342 views)
Shortcut

i believe fat dogs tend to be lazy mutt too....is ur kookee a lazy dog?Laugh

Pacco de Mongrel

Kookee
Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2006, 5:15 PM

Post #23 of 25 (15339 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Help! My dog doesnt want to eat!! picky dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Uh-huh...she's lazy alrite. She's lugging a lot of weight around on her body. Spends most of her time lazing and lying around. But during play time, she's a mean lean playing machine....or when she's throwing her weight around trying to edge her sister out for our attention.

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Oct 7, 2006, 5:53 PM

Post #24 of 25 (15336 views)
Shortcut

Get a treadmill for her lah. It's very bad for big breeds to be overweight because that'll only aggravate any latent HD.

Kookee
Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2006, 8:03 PM

Post #25 of 25 (15322 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Get a treadmill for her lah. It's very bad for big breeds to be overweight because that'll only aggravate any latent HD.

I'm thinking yoga-ing with her instead..hahahahahahahahahahha! We are keeping 2 pairs of very sharp eyes out on any problems. Any slight limping and to the vet she'll go. Our long-term planning would most likely be corrective surgery...

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my