Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Extremely Serious Skin Condition

shannon75935
New User

Aug 2, 2006, 7:53 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1358 views)
Shortcut
Extremely Serious Skin Condition Can't Post

I have a 7 month old daschund puppy and yesterday she was admitted into a large emergency animal hospital to treat what seems to be a life threatening skin condition. The whole problem started about a week ago when we left her with my parents for a week. While staying with them she became ill, she was vomiting and had some bloody diarrhea. They were not able to take her to her regular vet so they took her to one near their residence. The vet kept her for a few days and treated her with centrene and biodelta (one for nausea and the other a steroid). This stopped the diarrhea and vomiting and she seemed to be getting better according to the vet. The vet kept her for 2 days until we returned. We picked her up at my parents and she seemed to be in excruciating pain every time we picked her up. We also noticed a small amount of blood on her back and figured it was just a scratch. When we felt down her back we found that there seemed to be small places that felt this way down her back. We thought maybe she had scratched herself on the kennel at the vet. We called the vet she had stayed with and he did not know what it could be. I was angry because she was hurt and they did not catch it so decided that it would be best to contact my regular vet if it got worse. The next day the condition seemed to have spread and she developed another bloody spot on her back. We still did not think it was too serious because she was eating and seemed to be doing a little better. Well later that night it was worse the top of her back started bleeding. We contacted the emergency vet because it was the weekend. We described the symptoms and told him she seemed to be sore. He said that it was probably just a bacterial problem and there was no need to come in until Monday. Well Sunday it got worse and I started really worrying. Sunday night we were bathing her to keep her back clean when I noticed big chunks of her hair falling out. She lost all of her hair from just above her tail to just below her shoulders. Her back was swollen and we could tell that it was spreading. I stayed up most of the night worrying about her and took her to her vet at 7:30 that morning. He looked at her and told us that all of the tissue from her tail to her should blades was dead and would have to be removed. He did not know what it was and stated it would take several days for the lab results to get back. He was afraid it would spread more so he recommended that we take her to this emergency animal hospital a few hours away. We did this and she was admitted yesterday. So far they have found out that her liver enzyme levels were high (400) and her serum protein was on the low range of normal. She is on antibiotics and they performed surgery on her today. The woman I spoke with stated that when they cut her open they could see that it was still spreading. They took all the skin and tissue down to just above the sheath that covers the muscles from her tail to her shoulders. They also took some from both of her legs. They removed all the necrotic tissue except for a small amount on one leg and left that wound open hoping it would drain. They sewed the rest of her up and wrapped her to prevent infection. She is in ICU and on a continuous drip of pain medication. During the surgery they also took some samples to turn into the lab. They still do not know what is causing this condition or if it will continue to spread. They are hoping to get the results back tomorrow. She handled the surgery well and is feeling no pain but other than that I have not found out much. She is my precious baby and I am so worried about her. I know she is in very good hands but it is driving me crazy not knowing anything about her condition. I am just wondering if anyone else has seen or heard of any type of condition like this. Please share any information you have.

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Aug 2, 2006, 10:55 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shannon75935] Extremely Serious Skin Condition [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

i am so sorry to hear the condition of your baby and sorry that i do not have any information to help you as this is the first time i am hearing this.

however, i would really appreciate if it is possible for you to update us on your pup's condition as well as the type of sickness that she is infected with. It might serve as a precaution for other members as well.....

anyway, i wish and know that your pup will be well soon. From your message, seems to me your pup is tough and is fighting for survival. So, do not lose faith and All the Best!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

tigerdraft
New User

Aug 20, 2006, 10:57 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1282 views)
Shortcut

hi. am sorry to hear such thing happen to ur cute pup but am unable to share any information bout the serious skin condition ur pup has..but I am wondering if he is ok now after all the surgery?

pls do update us his condition ya?

shannon75935
New User

Aug 21, 2006, 7:19 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1277 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tigerdraft] Extremely Serious Skin Condition [In reply to] Can't Post

Mollie, is doing very well. The animal hospital she was taken to was able to remove all of the bad tissue and skin. She had a section from the base of her neck to her tail and down each back leg removed. They also successfully closed the large wound. She is about 2wks out of surgery and home now. She is on antibiotics and has been going for regular bandage changes at her vets. She will have the majority of the staples removed Monday. She developed one spot on her head that the vet thinks will not get serious. He seems to think that it is superficial. The animal hospital never found out the exact cause of her problem. They were possibly thinking either an automiimune disease or a severe allergic reaction to the injections she was given when taken to the first vet for vomitting and diarrhea. Thank you so much for your concern. Mollie is back to her normal self. She is in no pain and very happy. I am just ready for her to fully recovery.

foong6
New User

Dec 11, 2006, 6:23 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1136 views)
Shortcut

Hello,

Can you send me the emergency animal hospital address to foongkarlai2@yahoo.com. I need to keep the address in case my puppy fall sick. Thank you

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my