Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
2 puppies at home....jumping on each other...aggresive???

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Aug 15, 2006, 6:34 PM

Post #1 of 12 (14158 views)
Shortcut
2 puppies at home....jumping on each other...aggresive??? Can't Post

hi,

not sure if i post in the right thread or not...but here's the background..

i have a toy poodle (sasha) which i bought when she was 2 mths old..she has been staying with us from that day onwards and currently she is 4 mths old....she is a good and lovable puppy and have completed all her jabs....on sunday, my sister bought a shih tzu (sze ern) home. sze ern is 4 mths old too...a few days younger than sasha..however, her size is slightly bigger than sasha....

we tried to put them together..however, each time they are together, they will jump on each other and start biting the ear, fur, eye etc.....no sound make though...this will go on for hours if we din stop them...usually they will b like dat (not sure playing or fighting...) until both became angry and start to make the angry sound...then i will quickly stop them...

is this normal? or they dislike each other? i tot that puppies will grow fond of each other better than adult dogs? are they actually playing or fighting for dominance?

i know that dogs are packed animals...and since sasha has been with us for longer time and she is older, i tried to show to sze ern that sasha is more dominant than her....what i did is, i will give food to sasha first, bring sasha to toilet first etc.....

anyone out there with a few dogs at home can help to advise me? thanks a lot!!!

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 15, 2006, 6:40 PM

Post #2 of 12 (14138 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] 2 puppies at home....jumping on each other...aggresive??? [In reply to] Can't Post

they probably playing a bit rough....puppy won't b fighting against each other agressively...

but it was amazing tat they can keep up for hours....

my dogs can only rough play or mayb quarelling/fighting for 1/2hr....then both of them will get too tired n sleep together...

d angry sound is juz a sign of frustration that they failed to win over d another....

when d puppy trying to hump on another one...this shows that they wanted to be dominant over d another....

so u juz observe who is b dominant then....every household will have their dominant dog....u can't hv both equally status....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Aug 15, 2006, 6:42 PM)

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Aug 15, 2006, 7:13 PM

Post #3 of 12 (14134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] 2 puppies at home....jumping on each other...aggresive??? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi amanda,

nice to hear from you Smile...i have always been wishing that they will sleep together.....at least this shows that they like each other...however, they won stop until i force-stop them...only then, will they stop to hv some drinks before continue...Unsure

so if i really wan them to stop permanently, i will need to lock them up separately or lock one of them up....then only will they cool down....but they wont sleep either...will juz play their own toys until bedtime...

yeah..i tot so too....both wan to fight for dominance..so i have to leave it to them to decide who is the dominant one? or can i choose myself? coz since sasha is older and longer at home, i do hope that she will b the dominant one...

although sasha is smaller in size, she will always start the fight first...will jump on sze ern...and then sze ern will do the same..and both will begin their 'sumo wrestling'.....Pirate they try to hold each other down for a few seconds but the other always will hv the chance to get up and fight again....so i become referree lo....monitoring and making sure that they don hurt each other...

how i wish they will juz play together nicely...now i hv to separate them when i am at work...afraid that they will hurt themselves....

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 15, 2006, 7:27 PM

Post #4 of 12 (14131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] 2 puppies at home....jumping on each other...aggresive??? [In reply to] Can't Post

is strange tat both d puppy can fight for hours....coz puppy tends to sleep a lot....n get tired easily....they hv a good stamina, i must say....

since sasha arrive @ ur home 1st, she shld actually b d dominant one...however, sze ern is oso d only dog in her own house, so oso also wanted to show her dominance....u cannot help them 2 decide actually....coz dog kenot understand wat u've decided...

is sze ern gonna stay @ ur house permanently or juz temporary??

d best solution is to get them tired....they probably juz hv too much energy to wrestling wit each other....did u actually bring them for a walk or get them exercised??

if they're tired, they won't behave like tat....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Aug 15, 2006, 9:32 PM

Post #5 of 12 (14125 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] 2 puppies at home....jumping on each other...aggresive??? [In reply to] Can't Post

sze ern is goin to stay in my home permanently, coz my sis is staying with me. well....my sis bought sze ern from the pet shop. but i guess perhaps she thinks that she is bigger than sasha, dats y she wans to fight for dominance too....however, most of the time, it is sasha who initiates the fight first.

nope, i did not bring them out for a walk coz sasha juz finished her last jab last week. will bring her out about a week later. as for sze ern, she is having her final jab this week. so both are staying at home. both are 4 mths old now.... during the day when i am away, both of them will sleep or play with own toys...only once a while sasha will bark (or talk???Unsure) to sze ern...but usually according to my mum, sze ern will juz keep quiet...

but at nite, when i am back, i will let them run loose (don wan to lock them up all the time)...so this is the time they will wrestle..i guess they save all their energy during the day to wrestle at nite kua...Crazy

sigh.....hope things will b better....but one thing good is that when they are separated, they will play with own toys...

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 15, 2006, 9:43 PM

Post #6 of 12 (14123 views)
Shortcut

afterall they r juz 4 months old puppy....so dun b too worried tat they might hurt each other....

my dog oso play wrestling wit Hero, a boxer actually...n she usually win, despite being younger n smaller in size...

so size and age does not matter in this....

some dogs really cannot get along well wit others....but sasha is still a puppy...she can learn to accept sze ern soon....

n after she finish d jab....exercise her more...then she won't have much energy to make up a fight during nite time...

did u try to throw a ball n let both of them chase....this could actually distract them from fighting wit each other n chasing d ball can oso help to tire them....

Pacco de Mongrel

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Aug 16, 2006, 1:13 AM

Post #7 of 12 (14118 views)
Shortcut

hi,

yes..i did tried to throw balls to them and let them play...but they wont even bother to look at it...Unsure in fact sometimes when i tried to interfere, they (mostly sasha) will actually growl at me...so sometimes, it really angers me that i actually hold both of them down...then they will relax a little bit before continue again Pirate

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 16, 2006, 2:41 AM

Post #8 of 12 (14113 views)
Shortcut

since ball cannot catch their attention....then u need to try other stuff....

wat if u hold a treats....do they switch d attention to u?

Pacco de Mongrel

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Aug 16, 2006, 8:20 PM

Post #9 of 12 (14107 views)
Shortcut

hahahaa..i tried that too..oni sasha will sit and wait for the treat..however, sze ern will keep bugging sasha until she gets annoyed...

surprisingly, sze ern is not greedy on snacks..i tot shih tzu juz loves food..hehehe

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 16, 2006, 9:16 PM

Post #10 of 12 (14105 views)
Shortcut

i don't think everydog of d same breed will behave exactly d same....

every dog had their own personality....

Pacco de Mongrel

Copper
Novice

Mar 18, 2008, 1:14 AM

Post #11 of 12 (13203 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

we tried to put them together..however, each time they are together, they will jump on each other and start biting the ear, fur, eye etc.....no sound make though...this will go on for hours if we din stop them...usually they will b like dat (not sure playing or fighting...) until both became angry and start to make the angry sound...then i will quickly stop them...

is this normal? or they dislike each other? i tot that puppies will grow fond of each other better than adult dogs? are they actually playing or fighting for dominance?

Hi you guys, i have the same problem. Copper is my silky baby, and he was brought home first.. 1 month later, my housemate brings home a toy poodle (Chinoz) and they are about the same age. (Copper older by 1 1/2 months or so). at first Chinoz smelt Coppers presence and they immediately started sniffing each other and watever. ocassionally jumping on each other and biting... Chinoz is a pretty boy who is a drama king at times and often or not he starts yelping in pain when ever Copper tugs on his tail, fur, face, ear, etc. Copper is too agressive sometimes and it worries me as im used to seeing dogs do this (i have other doggie experiences) but this two are diff. Copper is constantly juping and initiating the fight and if he doesnt, Chinoz comes from the back and irritates him.. so.. FIGHT! *sigh* Copper is too hyper and he cant stop biting. he atacks almost everything. when ever he bites and chew on my fingers i say NO! and jam my fingers as far in as i can go, so he'l get the picture that he cant do it. but it doesnt help. if he cant do it with me, he'll attack Chinoz. They cant stand sleeping together in the same area and the other day Copper took a bite at Chinoz face and scarred it slightly. Their characteristics are such that we termed them as Chinoz (uptown, pretty white boy) and Copper (downtown, gangster from the bronxe!) THATS exactly how they behave! Chinoz growls unecessarily at Copper when he does nothing, is an absolute snob, walks lik his tip toeing, cant be bothered with you, while Copper is the jump around, chase, bite, and constantly smothers your face with licks and occasional bites! Theres constant competition between this two! how do i get this two to accept facts and stop with their aggresiveness!? ~Copper's Mummy~

zephyros
Canine Addict

Mar 25, 2008, 12:00 AM

Post #12 of 12 (12612 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Copper] 2 puppies at home....jumping on each other...aggresive??? [In reply to] Can't Post

sounds like my home HAHAHA pappy will jump on maltese. maltese grows, pappy jumps even more. maltese bites, pappy backs off, maltese sits, pappy jumps again LOL. also pappy always want my attention when i give it to the maltese.

problem, maltese will play with pappy when he's bored. but when there are other dogs around, he'll totally ignore pappy and even growl at him when he approaches.

nothing much u can do. lol what u MIGHT wanna establish is they who they are to you. reason for some to fight, is because they feel that their "position" is jeapodized. usually the older dog will be the slightly more aggresive one. my pappy is smaller but hell he pulls on the maltese ear's till he bites back. what u want is lots of patience. make them sit. THEM, not one. give treat to one, make the other wait. They will have to learn how to be patient and respect each other. try alternatives to this, since u know your dogs better you'll find better ways for this. what you want to establish here is YOU are the boss, not either of them. should one bark or lose it, do what u need to, to show it's not acceptable.

Also, try to not show any biasness between them. believe or not...they will get jealous.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my