Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Can 2 months old puppy wear anti-tick/fleas collar?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jul 3, 2006, 11:25 PM

Post #1 of 46 (9899 views)
Shortcut
Can 2 months old puppy wear anti-tick/fleas collar? Can't Post

Hi, my toy poodle is juz 2 1/2 mths old. she is hving throat infection right now..so I don dare to bathe her...afraid that it will worsen her condition...as such, I hv not bathe her for almost 2-3 weeks....I'm worried that she will hv ticks though i hv chck thru everyday but don really see anythg unusual...FYI..this is my first pup and i hv not seen/encounter and ticks/fleas before.....

i am thinking of buying her a anti-tick/flea collar to keep her safe from ticks till i can bathe her....but most of the anti-tick/flea collar that I noticed mention that they are for usage of much older dog.....can i wear it on my pup? will it hv any side effect? Please advise!

Thanks!

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

chrisong
Doggyman

Jul 4, 2006, 6:56 AM

Post #2 of 46 (9891 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] Can 2 months old puppy wear anti-tick/fleas collar? [In reply to] Can't Post

Where you keep ur dog? If inside the house. Then it is ok.

You bring ur pup for walk? If you do not take ur pup for walk, as he/she still young & require all his/her vaccination only you can bring him/her out. Then u shouldn't be worry any of the ticks & fleas.

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jul 5, 2006, 11:47 PM

Post #3 of 46 (9885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Can 2 months old puppy wear anti-tick/fleas collar? [In reply to] Can't Post

i keep my pup in the house.....nvr bring her for a walk before....however, as she is having throat infection, i don dare to bathe her. afraid will worsen her condition. so she hasnt been bathe for almost 3 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

last nite i noticed a tick on her...got so scared....i wen to the petshop and the shop owner recommended me frontline spray....he said as the pup still so young, if uses the collar type might not be comfortable and its too big for the pup...so i bought the spray and spray the whole body of my pup.......din notice any ticks except for the one i caught...hopefully she won hv anymore......

anyway, wats the diff between ticks and fleas? normally can the spray mitigate both problems or i need to buy diff spray? this is my first time hving a pup and I never seen a tick or flea before...the one i saw yesterday was a small one with many legs....smaller than a small ladybird......don know how to describe further...dat shud b tick rite? which one is more dangerous?

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

chrisong
Doggyman

Jul 6, 2006, 8:15 PM

Post #4 of 46 (9878 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] Can 2 months old puppy wear anti-tick/fleas collar? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes. Is not recommeded ur pup using frontline because its too young. I don't use frontline on my dogs. Just keep ur pup & their sleeping area as clean as possible will do & ur dog will not get any ticks & fleas. Frontline spray kills ticks & fleas.

Ticks come from stray dogs & garden. Its look like a spider & it stick on ur dod body.

Fleas usually come from stray cats. Its very small & you hardly can see them. When ur pup icthing it MIGHT BE the fleas that causes it.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Jul 12, 2006, 9:48 PM

Post #5 of 46 (9858 views)
Shortcut

ur dog would less possible get infested by ticks.....if u avoid grassy area....especially if ur residential area hv lotsa stray cats n dogs...

be frankly saying...ticks collar never work.... frontline is best @ d moment...

but i tends to limit d usage, since its a chemical.....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jul 12, 2006, 10:56 PM

Post #6 of 46 (9857 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Can 2 months old puppy wear anti-tick/fleas collar? [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah...i would think the same so...chances of sasha getting ticks should be very low....however, i did notice ticks once in a while.....for now....i hv managed to catch 3 ticks......in a week...not sure if this is consider ok or bad d.......she keeps scratching her ears and sometimes her body.....but when i chck, i din notice anythg......

i use the frontline spray on her.....the 3 ticks i caught...one is b4 i spray and 2 after i spray..but all on diff days....quite big though.....

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Amanda85
Doggyman

Jul 12, 2006, 11:33 PM

Post #7 of 46 (9853 views)
Shortcut

if u manage to catch even juz 1 onli....there's a probability tat they r eggs around....n tat's y u still manage to find it once a while...

apply frontline thoroughly....n ofcoz correctly...

after u r sure that there aren't anymore ticks in a weeks time.....then u can claim that ur dog is tick-free....

then only apply frontline when neccessary......ie.. when going to an grassy area tat could not be avoided or when u suddenly spot a tick again!

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Jul 12, 2006, 11:35 PM)

chrisong
Doggyman

Jul 13, 2006, 2:40 AM

Post #8 of 46 (9847 views)
Shortcut

You mention ur pup scratching her ears.

Did you clean her ears frequently??? like once a week or twice a week.

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jul 13, 2006, 5:16 PM

Post #9 of 46 (9843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Can 2 months old puppy wear anti-tick/fleas collar? [In reply to] Can't Post

I use some water to wet sasha and I apply the spray directly to her skin....this is wat the pet shop's owner told me....i used it once....the pet shop's owner says can tahan for about 45 days....should i use it frequently now and not wait till about 1 mth to re-apply? is it ok?

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jul 13, 2006, 5:18 PM

Post #10 of 46 (9841 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Can 2 months old puppy wear anti-tick/fleas collar? [In reply to] Can't Post

yes....i clean my pup's ear every 2 days.....but not using any solutions though...just plain water wet on a towel.....i did not use any solutions as i din notice any wax in her ears....can i use solutions often?

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

chrisong
Doggyman

Jul 13, 2006, 5:32 PM

Post #11 of 46 (9840 views)
Shortcut

You need a Ear cleaner & cotton bud. Wet the cotton bud with ear clear and insert it into the ear canal and clean out the ear wax. Clean it untill there are no more ears wax.

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jul 13, 2006, 5:53 PM

Post #12 of 46 (9839 views)
Shortcut

i tried to use cotton bud but sasha will juz shake her head....does not allow me to use cotton bud,,,but when i use a cloth..she likes it..will sit still and let me do it....sigh....Crazy

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

chrisong
Doggyman

Jul 13, 2006, 8:40 PM

Post #13 of 46 (9833 views)
Shortcut

Using cloth you can't clean the ears wax wor. You still need to use cotton bud to clean her ears. She might not get use to it at first after you regulary clean the ears canal she will get use to it very soon. If you do not know to right way to clean ur pup ears do consult ur vet to teach you how to do it.

You clean ur pup ears regular like once a week you will find your pup ears wax will get lesser & lesser every day.

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jul 13, 2006, 11:18 PM

Post #14 of 46 (9832 views)
Shortcut

is the wax dark brown in color? i did use the cloth to clean the 'dark brown' thingy....and yes you r rite....it's not thorough......cotton bud will b better...yeah...guess whether she likes it or not, i must make her get use to it.......will try and update you on the progress...thanks!Wink

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

chrisong
Doggyman

Jul 14, 2006, 12:37 AM

Post #15 of 46 (9825 views)
Shortcut

Yes. The ears wax is brown color.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Jul 17, 2006, 6:08 PM

Post #16 of 46 (9814 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I use some water to wet sasha and I apply the spray directly to her skin....this is wat the pet shop's owner told me....i used it once....the pet shop's owner says can tahan for about 45 days....should i use it frequently now and not wait till about 1 mth to re-apply? is it ok?

i feel tat d method they teach u seems 2 be wrong.....it will be less effective if u wet ur dog....

btw, if u find that ur dog had no more ticks....is pointless 2 re-apply..... my dog had stop using it for a year....n she still doesn't had a single tick....becoz i never bring her to tick infested area.....

so no point of wasting money le....frontline is expensive....

Pacco de Mongrel

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jul 17, 2006, 6:46 PM

Post #17 of 46 (9813 views)
Shortcut

oh really? coz the pet shop owner told me that once it's wet, it will be easier to see the skin and for me to apply directly to the skin. if not, it might just sprayed on the fur instead of the skin...but this one week, hvnt been noticing any ticks...so don think i will apply anymore.......

was thinking of getting her the anti tick collar instead......will b easier..but is it effective?

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

(This post was edited by jessicaohh on Jul 17, 2006, 6:47 PM)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Jul 17, 2006, 9:19 PM

Post #18 of 46 (9807 views)
Shortcut

ya...u need to apply directly to d skin..... but if d body if wet....it'll dilute d drugs....so less effective....

i usually juz manually try my best a flip up d fur n spray on d skin directly.... but it'll definately be difficult of ur dog had much thicker coat....

Pacco de Mongrel

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jul 17, 2006, 9:26 PM

Post #19 of 46 (9806 views)
Shortcut

yes...it's more diff coz my pup has a ticker coat...thought of using the collar type instead.....my fren been using that for her dog....she says it's good..but i remember reading somewhere saying that it is less effective than spray...i'm confused now...

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Amanda85
Doggyman

Jul 17, 2006, 9:30 PM

Post #20 of 46 (9804 views)
Shortcut

ticks collar is definately less effective.... n if ur pup happen 2 chew on it....it'll be disastrous....i must say...

since now u'd use frontline....juz stick wit it....n since ur pup now dun hv any more ticks....d result is apparent....

Pacco de Mongrel

zhung

May 14, 2007, 11:22 PM

Post #21 of 46 (9510 views)
Shortcut

Hello,

Been a year I didn't use frontline because my doggie is flea/tick free but I had notice these days she been infected by flea/tick again maybe due the place I brought her such as playground & these lots of stray dogs & cats.

So I do remember that after shower, after 2 days only we can apply frontline & after apply frontline 2 days we cannot shower. I'm abit confused here already a year didn't use it. Can you just teach me how to use the spray again? thx

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 15, 2007, 5:32 PM

Post #22 of 46 (9498 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zhung] Can 2 months old puppy wear anti-tick/fleas collar? [In reply to] Can't Post

d main reason is to make sure that d chemicals do not get diluted by your dog wet body, thus reducing its effectiveness....

i usually juz prevent bathing my dog a day before application and a day after d application...

Pacco de Mongrel

L1yng
Novice

Jun 27, 2007, 5:05 PM

Post #23 of 46 (9389 views)
Shortcut

Hi I just bought a frontline spray. Never use this before. Can help to teach me how to use? The vets told me to bath my Money 2to3day before spray and don't bath for 5days after. How about his head? Can i spray on his head, mouth area, around the nose?

chrisong
Doggyman

Jun 28, 2007, 8:08 PM

Post #24 of 46 (9372 views)
Shortcut
Re: [L1yng] Can 2 months old puppy wear anti-tick/fleas collar? [In reply to] Can't Post

Apply frontline after 3-4 days bathing after that atleast 3 days no bathing.

Apply from top part of the neck, back untill tail area. Don't spray near frontline near your dog mouth or eyes area. It poison!!!

Use frontline when your dog have serious ticks/fleas problem. If not try not to use it.

L1yng
Novice

Jun 29, 2007, 4:34 PM

Post #25 of 46 (9366 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the info. I recently found a lot of pimples like bump on Money's skin (under arm, behind ears, on the leg, neck and around his backside) and i saw quite a few fleas. I have no idea where he got that from. So I bring him to the vet and they recommended me this frontline spray. I sprayed on him and rub it till dry. Is this the correct way of doing?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my