Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Vaccination:
to vaccinate or not to.

sofiafoo
Dog Kichi

Jul 15, 2006, 12:54 AM

Post #1 of 18 (4374 views)
Shortcut
to vaccinate or not to. Can't Post

i know this question has been posted over and over but i still need to know.

i used to live with 11 dogs at one time and none of them were vaccinated. although 3 dogs of mine succumbed due to diseases but the cause was cancer (suspected) and they were quite old. one of my very first poochie lived for 17 strong years before we had to put him to sleep due to old age.

2 years ago i got brandy, a lab-roc mix. actually mom brought her to the vet to get dewormed but the vet insisted that she should be vaccinated. she died 2 days later. when we approach the vet, he gave a lame reason saying she might have been poisoned. brandy was all the time in my apartment for the 2 whole days.

recently we explained our fears to the vet we frequent in puchong and the vet explained that maybe brandy already contracted the virus before the vaccination. but i am not convinced. she asked us to bring vodka! - my 2 months plus pup for vaccination next week. i was thinking to forego the vaccination until he is 6 months old or totally forego the vaccination. my mom is quite against the vaccination as she still blames herself for brandy's dismissal. brandy was a bright girl and soo active until the vaccination.

so pls help me here.

thanks!

Amanda85
Doggyman

Jul 21, 2006, 8:20 PM

Post #2 of 18 (4353 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sofiafoo] to vaccinate or not to. [In reply to] Can't Post

many years ago...my dad 1st minpin oso died juz after he got vaccinated.....

i think v hv 2 judge by d dog health.....most purebreed dogs r proned to get infected by virus easily....n some claim tat if d puppy didn't had d full 3 vaccination....he might get disease.... some r even so strongly believe tat full vaccination is require, or else ur putting ur puppy in risks.....but i wish i could tell them tat....everytime i bring my dog for vaccination...i think its a risk tat she'll die too.....

but to me....i only own mongrels...n they r hardier ofcoz....

my 1st mongrel....i brought her for full vaccination...coz i tot it'll be good for her....everytime when she came back from vaccination...she looks ill.....but after 2 days she'll b back to normal.....lucky...

my 2nd mongrel..... i vaccinated her onli once juz b4 i spayed her....coz i'm afraid during d surgery she might get any possible infection....

but now i planned to stop all vaccination......n spend more money on quality food instead...i remember hearing a fren mentioned to me tat her fren who's a vet said tat he so happy when every owner tends to come back every year for annual vaccination which is actually not require....n ofcoz he's so happy about tat....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Jul 21, 2006, 8:23 PM)

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jul 21, 2006, 9:51 PM

Post #3 of 18 (4348 views)
Shortcut

i think it really depends......i agree with amanda that each time you send the puppy out (be it to vet or any place) there is always risk involve......

to me, i believe everything is destined.....i wouldn;t say that vaccination is good or not good...for me i personally will bring my pup for a full vaccination. Some other factors that you might want to consider would be the dog's health condition and its breed. i feel that purebreed is for vulnerable to sickness etc....thus, i think vaccination will be better......i alwiz feel that mixbreed is much more stronger......thus i think it is easier for them to fight against diseases...but like i said earlier, it all depends on the breed.

even as human, even if we try our best to stay healthy, live healthy and eat healthy, we can guarantee that we wont fall sick...and there are always human babies who died even with or without the vaccinations.......so it's all fate.......

even i myself who agrees on vaccination, will always feel afraid too during the first week after my pup got vaccinated. afraid that she will be contracted with diseases or will fall ill after vaccination...and yet, i still go for it coz i believe that for the type of my pup's breed, it is better to be vaccinated......

so i think there is no yes or no answer to it. it depends on one's judgement and experiences.

Smile

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

sofiafoo
Dog Kichi

Jul 25, 2006, 1:45 AM

Post #4 of 18 (4331 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] to vaccinate or not to. [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for advice.

will see how his condition when he get back from mcca. another 2 weeks ... missed him so much liao...

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jul 25, 2006, 6:59 PM

Post #5 of 18 (4330 views)
Shortcut

oh...he's not with you now? mcca? what is dat? what happen?

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

sofiafoo
Dog Kichi

Jul 25, 2006, 11:38 PM

Post #6 of 18 (4325 views)
Shortcut

mcca = malacca.

cos me work work go back in evening only ma.

since he still puppy so mom balik malacca bring him along lo.

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jul 26, 2006, 1:19 AM

Post #7 of 18 (4321 views)
Shortcut

oooo....malacca hor....hahahha..okok...tot it's some sort of organisation............ehheheeBlush

yeah yeah...i understand ur feeling....coz i am going to be away for 2 days this weekend and just the tot of not meeting my baby for 2 days, i start to miss her liau!!!!!!! Laugh

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

sofiafoo
Dog Kichi

Aug 23, 2006, 7:38 PM

Post #8 of 18 (4249 views)
Shortcut

yes! at last i got my little giant vaccinated! still extremely active after the first shot...

cant wait for him to get his third shot so i can bring him out to kai kai...

he sure is growing extremely BIG. just 3 months and he is 7.3 kg d Laugh

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Aug 23, 2006, 8:38 PM

Post #9 of 18 (4244 views)
Shortcut

WOW!!!!!!!!!! so big ah???? mine now 4++ mths and not even 3kg!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but mine is toy breed la...heheheeh..

good la...at least u don hv to worry if he does not hv enough food..coz now fit liau...heheheheh..i everyday hv to worry coz scared she will starve..coz she's small size and picky eater!!! headache..headache...Wink

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

wan
K9 Maniac

Aug 23, 2006, 9:36 PM

Post #10 of 18 (4241 views)
Shortcut

wah.. sofia.. your vodka so big already ???

I mean big size wor 3 months already 7kg jia lat..

I thought he's medium size dog ...

what breed mix with what liao ?I cannot remember u told before.

anyway it is a good news that he's ok..

at least overcome your paranoid over vaccination... Wink

* ~ My Life Has Changed 23rd June 2008) ~ *

sofiafoo
Dog Kichi

Aug 23, 2006, 10:41 PM

Post #11 of 18 (4238 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wan] to vaccinate or not to. [In reply to] Can't Post

yea lo. 7kg+ but still a bit bony....

but put on weight and meat d since back from mcca especially this week. can see difference lo.

tot at first can control by not giving him hand feed food or scrap. but one look he give we started giving whatever food we are eating to him etc. rambutan, durian, kueh, pau, etc.

lucky he is not so picky, maybe cos we trained him since young. give him dry dog food. but now cos keep eating dog food like skinny only, so we morning - kibbles, afternoon - rice+kibbles, evening - rice+kibbles+chicken/fish/pork(whatever mom cook that day).

so basically he will eat everything lo. but funny must mix a little kibbles then he eat ... maybe cos like the crunchy texture kua Unimpressed

i think the new dog food i intro oso good. but expensive lo. it's bil jac. no chicken by products. smell oso not so strong. so i mix with alpo kibbles lo. cos too expensive lo. i bought the "challenge" pack ar ... i think is 500gm only kua oledi rm9! then can see that meal if i feed only bil jac only ar, shit oso little. meaning absorbed into body d kua. if only eat alpo ar. shit a lot man.... Unimpressed

opps.... i think tok too much in wrong topic thread d Laugh

wan
K9 Maniac

Aug 24, 2006, 1:40 AM

Post #12 of 18 (4233 views)
Shortcut

aiya nvm la, talk only la.. haha..

sounds like he eats a lot.. so many meals perday?

eh then i suggest u buy those premium food like Eukanuba, Nutro, those type of food la.. reasonable and no need to mix with alpo. After u finish your alpo and bil jac get him settle down with just 1 type of food.

dun eat too much oh... cos hoh grow too big.. and shit also more.. susah..

sofiafoo
Dog Kichi

Aug 24, 2006, 2:08 AM

Post #13 of 18 (4231 views)
Shortcut

according to the guy who i bought from, he is mix terrier ... said mother is terrier father is something like bronte (my previous dog which is spitz mix pom). i oso believe la even though at one month old vodka's head and paws so big d.... cos wat to do ... fall in love with him d.... love is blind ma, rite? Laugh

mom suspect vodka is giant poodle mix terrier or xxx ... cos that guy use to have male giant poodles. he wanted to sell / give my mom but wa lau eh so big ... and don like poodle la....Unsure lucky vodka doesnt look like poodle ... rite???Unsure

wan
K9 Maniac

Aug 24, 2006, 8:07 PM

Post #14 of 18 (4222 views)
Shortcut

ya lor doesnt look like poodle.. dunno like what... hahahaha..

giant mix terrier la..

I think he can grow up to 15 - 18 kg ..

my beagle now 12.7 kg err next monday 8 months liao.. hehehe..

sofiafoo
Dog Kichi

Aug 25, 2006, 12:32 AM

Post #15 of 18 (4215 views)
Shortcut

wah! whiskey oso quite heavy hor!!! >12kg d ler!!! Shocked

last time my bronte only weighed about 9 kg and dr. said overweight d! but she hor very fat lo ... got sam chan bak (fatty meat in hokkien la). then some more her fur very thick and fluffy so look very ROUND and BIG. but now hor vodka oledi bigger then her size in terms of height and lenght la. Crazy

photo attached. 2 years ago. side view full lenght hair photo.
Attachments: 200402-bronte04.jpg (80.7 KB)

wan
K9 Maniac

Aug 25, 2006, 2:02 AM

Post #16 of 18 (4207 views)
Shortcut

yalor for whiskey his weight cannot over 14kg lor..

I hope he wont grow much liao la fr now onwards else hoh susah oh..

wah Bronte looks good la.. spitz right? and is he the one that just died bcos of old age or bcos of the vaccination thing?

show me your vodka latest pics la if can.. wanna c.. your little giant..

btw, yesterday whiskey escape when we're not ard and curi makan 1 whole row of oreo biscuit and some chocolate.. I know its poison but what to do its already in his stomach. Wonder if i need to do anything to help him detox. I hope he's ok. This morning he looks ok just lots more shit than usual..

sofiafoo
Dog Kichi

Sep 2, 2006, 12:06 AM

Post #17 of 18 (4150 views)
Shortcut

bronte was a female Smile named after charlotte/emily bronte. her brother is shakespear - gave to ppl d

vodka!'s latest photo is the icon lo... but u can see from my blog...

sorry cant write much cos fractured my arms .... sianzzzz

wan
K9 Maniac

Sep 4, 2006, 6:15 PM

Post #18 of 18 (4127 views)
Shortcut

oh fractured your arm ... hope you'll have a speedy recovery.. talk more when u r better

take care.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my