Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
Some tips to curb digging problems

julie83
Dog Kichi

Jul 1, 2006, 4:12 PM

Post #1 of 14 (14243 views)
Shortcut
Some tips to curb digging problems Can't Post

Most puppies dig holes and absolutely love it. Most of the time this is at the expense of our newly planted shrubs, flowers, or lawns. As with many other examples of annoying behavior, though, there is nothing wrong with digging; it is perfectly normal. Us humans would simply rather that they did not do it, or at least dont do it in the flowerbed. Rather than just punishing your dog for digging, try to understand why he is digging. Understanding why will help you come up with a solution to the problem.

Some dogs dig a hole on a hot day to lie in and stay cool or on a cold day to stay out of the wind. If it looks like your dog is laying in the holes he digs, try to create other sources for the comfort he is seeking. In hot weather, provide some cool towels for him to lie on instead. You could also make sure you've provided a place for your dog to get out of the heat or away from the wind, like an insulated dog house.

Some dogs dig out of boredom or lack of exercise. In this case, a few chew toys or educational toys (Buster Cube, stuffed Kong, etc.) may help. Increase his physical activity, a long walk before you go to work or a good game of fetch. Work on basic obedience skills and teach your dog some tricks. Practice these skills at various times so your dog has had his brain worked before you leave.

Some breeds of dogs, such as terriers and dachshunds were selectively bred to dig, to rout out rodents, foxes, or badgers. If you would rather let his talents shine and not worry about it, consider setting aside a place where your pup is allowed to dig. Bury treats and toys in his digging pit and praise him when he digs there. Make unacceptable spots unattractive by setting sharp rocks or chicken wire into the dirt. Making an acceptable digging spot works well for those dogs that are digging out of boredom or just for the fun of it, as well.

The most appropriate and effective correction for digging is that which does not require you to be present. A firm, NO or a squirt with the water bottle are all very well if you catch him in the act, but most holes are dug when you are absent, so you must let the pup correct himself.

Sprinkle cayenne pepper over a likely looking digging spot, or try placing Snappy Trainers here and there and cover them with leaves. When the pup starts to dig, he will set off the trap, which snaps loudly and jumps up making a rustling sound in the leaves. The puppy cannot be hurt by these, but they will make him wonder, What the heck is in those holes?!

If your pup returns to the same holes to dig, try placing his stools in the holes. That puts off even the most chronic digger!

As with any correction, you must be persistent and consistent, and it will take time. Remember that if there are areas in your yard that you do not want your dog to dig under any circumstances, never allow him access to those areas. He is still a youngster and he has much to learn.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Jul 21, 2006, 9:19 PM

Post #2 of 14 (14181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [julie83] Some tips to curb digging problems [In reply to] Can't Post

wow! u had really great ideal for diggers....

as for me...all i do is....prevent my dog from entering d garden when i'm not around.....hahah...Laugh

i think i should start trying out ur method.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jul 21, 2006, 10:07 PM

Post #3 of 14 (14180 views)
Shortcut

wow...you are good....thanks for the info...however, as i am living in an apartment, which means no garden or any suitable place for my pup to dig Tongue, my pup will still find some place for digging...she is a toy poddle, 3 mths old..and i noticed that almost everyday, she will run crazily in the house/room and she will start digging her own BED!!!!!!!!!!!! of course, she cant really dig a hole out of the bed, she keeps digging and she gets tired....

any idea why she is doing that? is it because of lack of exercise...as she has yet to complete all her vaccination and she is small in size, i do not plan to bring her outside for a walk....

occasionally she will start to dig the marble on the floor...of which i often scolded her and ask her to stop...so nowadays, she rarely dig the floor...but as she is digging her bed, i guess there's no harm to it, so i just let it be....

but i'm juz wondering if anyone here as any idea why she is behaving like this?

thanks!Cool

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Kookee
Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2006, 9:55 PM

Post #4 of 14 (14172 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Some tips to curb digging problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Gawd! You wouldn't believe what Reyyee, my black mongrel did to her dog house. Over the course of two days, she managed to dig, literally, thru the wooden floor of her house. The wooden floor is made of double-layer plank which used to be a hollowed door. We think she dug a substantial hole first, then, she bites off the wood chunk by chunk.

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

Amanda85
Doggyman

Jul 24, 2006, 6:50 PM

Post #5 of 14 (14159 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kookee] Some tips to curb digging problems [In reply to] Can't Post

wow!! did ur dog intend to escape?? better keep an eye on him....Sly

until now, my current black dog still haven;t got a chance to perform her digging skilll....she's being supervise most of d time when she's allowed in d garden.....or else...she's will be at the front carpark...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Kookee
Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2006, 1:40 AM

Post #6 of 14 (14149 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Some tips to curb digging problems [In reply to] Can't Post

She is free to escape as much as she likes....if she can dig thru a wall or solid steel door. Yeah, she was an escape artist in her puppy days but now...she knows what she would be facing if she harbours such a notion. Last time, she dug out half of our garden when we put her in the front yard while the backyard was being renovated. What to do...we just hope that one day, she would dig out some gold nuggets for us, hahahahha!

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

cyling
Dog Kichi

Jul 25, 2006, 6:17 AM

Post #7 of 14 (14148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] Some tips to curb digging problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha.. Hero is the same, he digs on the marble floor... sometimes he digs the t-shirt i give to him or the newspaper... Not sure y...

Casper starting to dig occasionally too.. not sure y... but i think is ok if they dun destroy anything ba... Tongue

Visit Hero and Casper's Blog

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jul 25, 2006, 6:42 PM

Post #8 of 14 (14143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cyling] Some tips to curb digging problems [In reply to] Can't Post

oh really? heheheh....cool....good....then i think my baby is normal la.....coz soemtimes she will run like mad around the house and bite anythg she can find...so when I scolded her, she will straight jump to her bed and start digging....releasing stress kua...hahahaha...but when she did dat, i juz leave her alone....since she's not destroying anything and it's kinda cute wathing her in action, so i just let it b....

and the most fun part is ..after all the action and digging, she will go and have her drink and the rest by my side.....hehehehehe..i like it the most!!!!!!!!!!

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

cyling
Dog Kichi

Jul 26, 2006, 6:52 AM

Post #9 of 14 (14130 views)
Shortcut

haha... same here... Hero sits down and dig... when digging, his ear is flipping...Tongue cute look... dig dig dig... until he got exhausted, he will go and drink his water like he nvr had a drop of water for the whole day... then he lay down and rest there.... hehe... he is just like digging a hole as his bed...

Visit Hero and Casper's Blog

zen
Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2006, 11:23 PM

Post #10 of 14 (14014 views)
Shortcut

Frown hey my boy did the same thing. He just love to dig!! on marble & my bedCrazy he never dig his own bed but mine...grrr. i just dun understand why?? especially when i want to sleep...he just dig & digging on my bed....i cant stop him.Pirate

FrownBen@Benjamin, my baby boy.Frown

The cross breed with the most amazing eyes.
http://www.colliebenjamin.blogspot.com

shutterclicks
Novice

Aug 3, 2007, 9:46 PM

Post #11 of 14 (13690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zen] Some tips to curb digging problems [In reply to] Can't Post

My Max also dig dig dig.
I put his stool in the hole that he dug but he still dig! Wah he serious even more serious than a chronic digger man. Frown

Then I put a ceramic drinking bowl over the hole he keeps digging, yesterday night....very good. Never dig.

see how long it will last.

Frown

---------------------------------------------------------------
Visit me at http://maxdex.teresaling.com

zen
Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2007, 12:44 AM

Post #12 of 14 (13684 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shutterclicks] Some tips to curb digging problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi thanks for dropping by BenBen's blog. He dug the floor & my bed last time & now start digging the garden which rsometimes really pissed off my bf's mom. WAhahha...mayb I should use the bowl too.

Going to visit Max blog & will link it to my blog, mind??

FrownBen@Benjamin, my baby boy.Frown

The cross breed with the most amazing eyes.
http://www.colliebenjamin.blogspot.com

wooishen
Novice

Sep 16, 2007, 11:25 PM

Post #13 of 14 (13328 views)
Shortcut

i agreed with u.... long walk or hiking really work....

i tried it.... now every 9.... sleep so quiet... thanks....

The Greatness of a nation can be judged by
the way ANIMALS are be treated....

j[X
Novice

Feb 12, 2009, 7:01 AM

Post #14 of 14 (10579 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zen] Some tips to curb digging problems [In reply to] Can't Post

i've been noticing that my baby digs quite a bit in the house.. by the wall, marble floor and on her blanket everytime before she goes to sleep at that very spot.. i supposed it's like making her spot "fluffy" enough (psychologically) to dozed off on.. LoL.. Kinda funny..

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my