Some tips to curb poo eating

julie83
Dog Kichi

Jul 1, 2006, 4:06 PM

Post #1 of 3 (9381 views)
Shortcut
Some tips to curb poo eating Can't Post

Coprophagia

Coprohagia is the technical term for eating feces . This has been studied in dogs by several people with no definitive answer for "why" being found.

Nutritional deficiencies may be present in some dogs, but not very many. This may be boredom related in many dogs. It has some "natural" roots in the fact that dams often eat their pup's stools, apparently as a method of hiding their presence from predators. Dogs will eat the stools of other species, especially cats and rabbits, too. Dogs obviously do not find the taste of feces objectionable or the behavior would be self correcting. So I think of this as a natural behavior that upsets people. Since dogs have to live with people, it is becomes an issue. There is a product sold that is supposed to help with this habit -- Forbid. It doesn't work in all cases (it might not even work in most cases). Another alternative is putting meat tenderizer in the dog's food. This works for some dogs. Walking a dog on a leash and working hard to keep it from turning and eating its stool is helpful. It is sometimes possible to distract the dog by running a short distance after the dog has a bowel movement or by taking a couple of rapid steps then telling the dog to "sit" and giving it a treat. These behaviors may stay on as substitutes to eating the stool. If you can keep the dog from eating stool for a month or so it is sometimes long enough to break the habit. Picking up stool to prevent its ingestion works in dogs that don't quickly eat their own stool but do so when put in the yard alone. "Booby trapping" a sample of stool by cutting it in half lengthwise, and putting some Tabasco type sauce on the inside of the stool, then putting it back together so that the dog is not aware of the hotsauce until it eats the stool can help in some cases. This can be a hard habit to break.

Pebbles
Dog Kichi

Jul 3, 2006, 11:39 PM

Post #2 of 3 (9372 views)
Shortcut
Re: [julie83] Some tips to curb poo eating [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a 3yr old shih tzu who eats poo..and licks pee....Apparently her mother had the same habit..I have for 2 yrs and 8mths tried to stop her in many many ways from this habit..but as you can see, after all these time, it has not worked... She'd eat her poo right after she does her business...and she'd also wait patiently for my other dogs to finish their business then right after they leave, she'd eat their poo Unsure.

She somehow or other taught my other silky to do the same thing..(he was never into these habit before...but somehow they have become very close partners in crime) Well, he (the silky) actually doesn't eat the poo but somehow bites the poo into zillions of tiny pieces!! I'm at my wits end.

Where can I get this Forbid? I gave them something similar to these before but it did not work..

kegy
Novice

Jul 17, 2006, 6:12 AM

Post #3 of 3 (9270 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pebbles] Some tips to curb poo eating [In reply to] Can't Post

Best way tried to stay with ur dog till finish it business. Noted he/she will patiently wait..perhaps u should also patiently wait as well.. right after business is done.. pull your doggie away... add some spice at the business ur dog.do it often.maybe one day it will stop..

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my