Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog Sports, Schutzhund, Protection, Tracking,.....: Schutzhund & Protection Dogs:
Schutzhund Advise

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Michaelw1979
Novice

Jun 30, 2006, 9:33 PM

Post #1 of 39 (12143 views)
Shortcut
Schutzhund Advise Can't Post

Hi my name is Michael and i'm a Malaysian who is currently working in Chicago and i've German Shepherd Puppy from the Ursus and Ulk bloodline who is currrently under training for his Schutzhund titles. We train every weekend together with a very well experienced 30 something years Schutzhund training experience. I can see that there are a lot of Malaysian or my country men that share my love for this Schuzthund sport.

I wish to offer my help and assistance who have questions regarding Schutzhund. I'll try to offer suggestions to the best of my knowledge if there are any questions that i do not know i can ask my Helper for advise. This is a very big sport here in United States and i trained with Team Mittelwest. One of the largest and best breeder for GSD here is America who sometimes seek the assistance of the USA National Team Helper T.Floyd.

A little about my 7 months puppy. Well he participated in the recently past National Sieger Show in Conneticut USA and placed VP-8 in the National show. He also participated in several Regional Show and played VP-2 and VP-3. VP stands for very promising puppies who has great potential and show a lot of promise.

colinchin
Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2006, 1:31 AM

Post #2 of 39 (12127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Michaelw1979] Schutzhund Advise [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome Michael. Nice to have you here with us. I am sure you will be of help to our Schutzhund Malaysia. Cheers.

Michaelw1979
Novice

Jul 1, 2006, 7:32 AM

Post #3 of 39 (12112 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colinchin] Schutzhund Advise [In reply to] Can't Post

FIrst of all thank you for the warm welcome. I would like to take this opportunity to share some of my thoughts with the readers of this forum

I've read through most of the recent discussion posted here regarding Schutzhund in Malaysia, questions and concerns and I'm very pleased to find out that many people share the same passion and love for this sport even though its still at its infancy level in Malaysia. Kudos to the organizer of the Malaysia Olympic Dog Day for introducing this sport to the general public. I guess its up to the people in Malaysia who are passionate in this sport to bring it to the next level.

To begin, I would like to share my personal opinion regarding this sport and I hope that my opinion do not offend of keep people away from this sport but more like to give people a little "heads up" before they jump and spent thousands of ringgit to buy a super puppy or super dog to be a part of this sport.

I would say that most people would agree that Schutzhund is an extremely fascinating and fun sport. Being able to compete in a sport that is not only judge on performance of your dog but also the level of respect, love and compassion that the dog and the handler share is nothing short of amazing.

The point that I'm trying to point out is to be able to achieve that level of co-operation between handler and the dog is not something that can be achieve in a short period of time but through years and years of training and lots of love between the dog and the handler. Most of us are in the same boat. We are not breeders not are we professional trainers. We are just regular people who hold regular jobs. Professional trainers do nothing else aside from training dog. Their regular job is nothing more than training dog, which is not true for most of us who share the passion for this sport.

The German Shepherd Dog is in my opinion one of the most magnificent dog of all breeds. Due to the nature and the history of this dog, being breed for work and working is what makes this dog happy and fun to be around with, the German Shepherd dog is not a type of dog that sits around and enjoy sitting around doing nothing. The German Shepherd dog is an extremely high enery dog that needs to release its energy to be happy. Sounds like a load of crap but it is. German Shepherd dog can become extremely destructive if these energy are not used or channel propery. At the same time, these are the enery are the energy that are required to excel in the Schutzhund sport.

I'm not sure what level of love and passion that every one shares regarding the Schutzhund sport. As for me, being a Malaysian, I love to compete. Not so much for fame or money, but for the passion and love of competition. The adrenaline rush and others.

In order to achieve excellence and not just getting a dog title (any dog that is train for a good period of time can get title, even a golden retreiver or yellow lab) but to get recognition or crown Sieger/ Siegerin, VA or let alone V is nothing short of tremendous amount of hard work, time and most of all patience. If any readers who want or assumes that by paying tens of thousands of Ringgit and train on the weekend on the off hope to achieve that, I would suggest they venture into another sport. Because not only are they not going to be unhappy and frustrated, these frustrations will automatically be channel to the puppy or dog. I haven't been back in Malaysia for approximately 8 years now and I'm not in liberal to comment on anything regarding the people back home. But from my experience with people here, the assumption is that "I pay so much money (thousands of dollar) for a puppy from extremely famous bloodline, parents or genetic, hence its in their blood or gene to be able to perform to excellence." Not only is the assumption ignorant but also naïve. Yes you pay for a great puppy from a great bloodline. But that only means the puppy will be able to learn and perform better after receiving proper training. It does not means 1 or 2 day a week the dog is super smart, that's all it needs and from there he or she will be a super dog.

What I'm trying to point out after all the B/s that I just the readers through is that, please be very very sure and think, reconsider if you are able to provide the time and effort before jumping into this sport. Its not for everyone. It’s an extremely big commitment. It’s a life changing decision. When I started learning and training for Schutzhund (I've 2 GSD perviously before my current puppy) about 3 years ago but that was for information and love of the sport, but when I got my puppy several months ago, it was a life changing experience. I've seen people abandoned their dog because they could not handle the pressure. I've seen dogs from great bloodline that turned out to be extremely aggressive and timid, not being able to perform and completely lost its confidence because the owner was not able to provide the dog what it required to excel, and owner channel his or her own frustration into the dog. Owner yelling, beating and abusing the dog for not being able to perform. Its extremely dishearting and it actually happens very often here in America. I do not wish to see such scenario happen in Malaysia, so that is why I'm spending a good amount of time writing this article.

I'll be more than happy to offer my opinion if needed. But I myself have a question. As I was going through the teams that will be competing in the WUSV in Denmark this coming September, does anyone here know or heard about this guy
Teng Yee Fhong he is the team leader for the Malaysian team that will be competing in Denmark for WUSV competition?

colinchin
Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2006, 6:19 PM

Post #4 of 39 (12100 views)
Shortcut

Hello Michael,

Well said of your thoughts and sharing of your experience. Hope many people will benefit from you. Please pm me at c h i n c o l i n @h...... . c o m Hope you get that right. Cheers.

(This post was edited by colinchin on Jul 1, 2006, 6:21 PM)

Michaelw1979
Novice

Jul 2, 2006, 6:15 AM

Post #5 of 39 (12080 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colinchin] Schutzhund Advise [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Colin,
Sorry i really don't know what you mean by pm and you e-mail address is what???

Nando
Novice

Jul 3, 2006, 8:14 PM

Post #6 of 39 (12064 views)
Shortcut

Hello,

My name is Michael Lee, I think Mr. Teng who you are looking for will go to Ipoh on 15 JUL, Why don't you bring your dog and your helper to Ipoh on 15 Jul, you will meet up all the REAL Creazy Schutzhund trainer come from Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand.

We have a Schutzhund seminar on 14.00 - 20.00 at Iskandar Polo Club , Ipoh. And the SCH H1 competition will held on 16 JUL.

Hope to see you there.

Regards,

Michael Lee

Lex Ang
Novice

Jul 3, 2006, 11:06 PM

Post #7 of 39 (12056 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nando] Schutzhund Advise [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Micheal,

Do you happen to know the Singapore trainer that will be going over to Malaysia for the seminar? Do you mind providing me with his contact?

Thank you
Best Wishes

Nando
Novice

Jul 3, 2006, 11:29 PM

Post #8 of 39 (12051 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lex Ang] Schutzhund Advise [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Lex,

The President of German Shepherd dog club of Singapore Mr.Kabir Singh and some of his training partner confirm will attend this seminar. If you need the contact no of Mr.Kabir please call me at 012-4307980.

Regards,

Michael Lee

Lex Ang
Novice

Jul 4, 2006, 12:25 AM

Post #9 of 39 (12045 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nando] Schutzhund Advise [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Micheal,

I appreciate your help. Thank you very much. I should be able to contact them through their website. Thank you.
Best Wishes

jasen
Novice

Aug 1, 2006, 12:58 AM

Post #10 of 39 (11932 views)
Shortcut

Hi Michael, Interested to know more about the training programme you guys practise on. I live in Sydney, and altho' not illegal, the sport is frowned upon here. Yes, am Malaysian - it's the diaspora! Mind sharing some info? - insights@asia.com Regards Jasen

Michaelw1979
Novice

Aug 1, 2006, 8:21 AM

Post #11 of 39 (11921 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jasen] Schutzhund Advise [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Don't know if I'm the Michael that you are referring too because there's 2 Michael here..Mr. Lee being one and me. So I'll just provide you with a little idea of what we do here in Chicago. I don't have any idea how old you dog is so I'll just let you know what we do here with different age group dogs. A lot of the time training is alter base on the dog personality and characteristic. Some dogs are more confidence, some dogs are more nervous…so it depends a lot on your dog personality. Training assessment is done prior to training to assess what sort of training and the level of intensity should a dog be training at.

My 7 months old has only being doing bitework, drive building recall and recently started tracking. He's bitework is super, excellent drive only problem with him is that he doesn't want to stop figthing during bitework and refuse to calm down during bitework. Advantage to this is that he has great drive, disadvantage is I've to do a lot of physical running around "carry" and cradle before he calms down.

The training that we go through is mainly focussing on building the dog's drive. Objective is when the dogs perform in the trial he is willing and happy to perform instead of using negative reinforcement so much. Therefore obdience training do not start until they are approximately 1 years old. Building trust and love between owner and handler is also the other objective to the way we train. A lot of hard work and sweat, mainly patience because we try our very best not to administer correction or "negative reinforcement" i.e. collar jerking, screaming, shouting, yelling and etc. Everything has to be done to boost the dog's confidence and drive.

When the dog is mature enough to subject to correction, then the tranining is brought up to another level. But basically we try avoiding correction during puppy stage (i.e 1 years old).

That's basically what we do here in short. If you need more information you can post again and I'll respond in more details. Hope this information helps a little.

jasen
Novice

Aug 1, 2006, 4:53 PM

Post #12 of 39 (11918 views)
Shortcut

Hi Michael, Yes, you! Cool Appreciate the prompt reply. "My 7 months old has only being doing bitework, drive building recall and recently started tracking. He's bitework is super, excellent drive only problem with him is that he doesn't want to stop figthing during bitework and refuse to calm down " Firstly, is a GSD (generalising) too young to be agitated into a fight at this age? Prey drive alone does not normally get into this stage (fighting with humans), I think. Am I wrong on this? "Therefore obdience training do not start until they are approximately 1 years old." From his/her (canine) point of view, most obedience work is either classical- or operant- conditioning. I take it this has not been used yet - intentionally emphasised. At the same time, especially with pups there is a strong similiarity with man-work and play - with his handler. Therefore, how do you start the bitework-release and tracking without the beneifts of obedience understanding or working-together understanding at a young age for a working GSD? Posed another way, how do we ensure pups understand and think of the man-work as fun, and then channel the prey drive to the bitework / tracking / obedience? I have always felt these things are a form of play and the pup will grow up with them as inter-related activities. Therefore, believe that these training can happen simultaneously. As for the bonding, yes, agree that negative attitude in training is scary for pups and, no, do not believe in it - even for adults. Finally, no, don't have dogs anymore, but had many GSDs and others (non-working). Will be travelling to Europe for some working lines and to get myself up-to-speed again. One other thought: Believe in working dogs sharing your family home or they be segregated? If OK, all lines? Happy Working! Jasen

jasen
Novice

Aug 2, 2006, 2:38 AM

Post #13 of 39 (11905 views)
Shortcut

Hi Michael,
Yes, you! Appreciate the prompt reply.
  • "My 7 months old has only being doing bitework, drive building recall and recently started tracking. He's bitework is super, excellent drive only problem with him is that he doesn't want to stop figthing during bitework and refuse to calm down " Firstly, is a GSD (generalising) too young to be agitated into a fight at this age? Prey drive alone does not normally get into this stage (fighting with humans), I think. Am I wrong on this?

• "Therefore obdience training do not start until they are approximately 1 years old." From his/her (canine) point of view, most obedience work is either classical- or operant- conditioning. I take it this has not been used yet - intentionally emphasised. At the same time, especially with pups there is a strong similiarity with man-work and play - with his handler. Therefore, how do you start the bitework-release and tracking without the beneifts of obedience understanding or working-together understanding at a young age for a working GSD?

Posed another way, how do we ensure pups understand and think of the man-work as fun, and then channel the prey drive to the bitework / tracking / obedience? I have always felt these things are a form of play and the pup will grow up with them as inter-related activities. Therefore, I believe that these training can happen simultaneously.
As for the bonding, yes, agree that negative attitude in training is scary for pups and, no, do not believe in it - even for adults. Finally, no, don't have dogs anymore, but had many GSDs and others (non-working). Will be travelling to Europe for some working lines and to get myself up-to-speed again.
One other thought: Believe in working dogs sharing your family home or they be segregated? If OK, all lines?

Happy Working! Jasen
PS. Apologies for the lack of format in first post.

Michaelw1979
Novice

Aug 3, 2006, 5:12 AM

Post #14 of 39 (11881 views)
Shortcut

Jasen,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Its my fault for not being clear when i mention the word fighting..what i meant by fighting was actually just tug-of-war..

He is held back by a handler and the helper starts "teasing" him a puppy pillow....when he is "teased" to a peak level he is release to chase the pillow and allow

to get a full bite at the pillow and we tug the pillow with the puppy....what i meant by fighting was that the puppy refuse to let go and the drive to keep of playing..

the training we do here is all base on the idea.."the dog is here to play and have fun" "PLAY" being the main focus to build the dog love to play and enjoy playing with

the handler...and of course bonding....I don't get what you mean by " Prey drive alone does not normally get into this stage"..Please clarify....

"At the same time, especially with pups there is a strong similiarity with man-work and play - with his handler" don't quite understand this statement either..sorry about

my incompetence for not being able to understand much of your statement..... what can i say ..i'm a lay man...

As far as "Therefore, how do you start the bitework-release and tracking without the beneifts of obedience understanding or working-together understanding at a young age for a working GSD?"

Bitework release....something we don't teach...not at this young age at least...as far as older dogs...it pretty much depends on the dog....i've seen some dogs who just

spit out the sleeve after the helper release the sleeve...most dogs will release after it gets bored with it....as far as teach "AUS" or "OUT" its pretty much standard in most training manuals which is to hold the dog up by the collar without lifting the front legs and as soon as he drop its just give the command "AUS" and the minute the dog drops it hold him back so the helper can get the sleeve..there is a lot more details to the work than what i mention here..this is just a short summary of it..

As far as tracking well i'm not sure what do u mean by obedience in tracking...as far as training tracking in puppy stage..."FOOD" is the key and that's all there is to it for puppy..that how most would start tracking with older dogs too...the dog work for the food and the food is the reward and motivation to work for it...

Hope i answer most of your doubts...except those i did not understand...hope my suggestion helps..."MOST TRAINING" depends very much on the personality and characteristic of dog...every dog is like every individual...training has to be base on the dog and not just in general...some dogs are excellent tracking who don't need much motivation to track...some dogs need more..some dogs have great drive..some dogs don't.....

Michaelw1979
Novice

Aug 3, 2006, 5:34 AM

Post #15 of 39 (11879 views)
Shortcut

Sorry did not get through all of your question...some trainers might not agree with what i'm saying here ..like i mention before..different trainers different method..

As far as ensure pups understand and think that man-work as fun and channel the prey drive to the Schutzhund stages..as far as my understanding goes with my 7 months old...he started training since he was 8 weeks old...from 8 weeks till recently all that was done was just building the puppy's drive...building the dog's energy...drive building is a form of play...once the puppy get of the "rag's tail" onto the pillow...you can use a tug to start foundation work of tracking and obedience with the tug and not food...it was explain to me that you have to kind of brainwash your dog or set into the dog's mind that "you and the most important thing to the dog" the "the tug is the best fun game"..this is the hardest part in my puppy training...after that the dog would love to work for the tug and for your attention....then comes "Obedience"..an example would be after a command "Sitz" throw a ball and let him chase after it...then he would think that when the dog perform a behavior that we want..he gets to play or treat...training a working dog from a 8 weeks old puppy is a lot of work...and heck i do mean a lot of work...and is divided by stages...bitework.."drive building" always is the priority...then comes tracking and finally obedience and it takes years to achieve perfection.....

I'm not saying negative attitude but negative reinforcement....negative reinforcement is only use when trying to achieve perfection...the dog will sit at a command..but in Schutzhund trials he has to be sharp..meaning sit within 2 seconds of the command given...some dogs are very motivated without the negative reinforcement some dogs are not...

As far as going to Europe for some working lines...just wondering if you have any previous experience training Schutzhund dogs? or working dogs? ...

As far as working dogs sharing your family home...well...it all depends..my puppy stays in the house with me..run around the house and sometimes sleep by my side on the bed....and he is performing great at training....

I've asked my trainer regarding this question before...his answer was "MOST PEOPLE segregate their dog because they cannot handle or deal with the dog"..which makes sense to me...because think about it....you can never administer correction to a puppy..he poop he shit you cannot correct him....some puppy love to bite ankles and you can't correct him....so most people just don't have the patience to deal with it...i got mine since he was 8 weeks old..there was a lot of sacrifices made...when he was 8 weeks old...started house training with him...wake up in the middle of the night to walk him outside and let him do his business ..here in chicago it snows...so getting up at 3 in the morning when its blizzard outside is not a fun thing...get up early the next morning to walk him again and let him do his business..i basically had to take a week off from work to train him the first week..and trust me 8 weeks old puppy goes fairly often... no more night life no more going out on Sat to have fun...a lot of people it not willing to make the sacrifice but i did..

Even until now i make sure i come home and walk the dogs at 6.00 evening the latest and be home by 11.00 p.m in the evening to walk them again...when i'm home they run around the house when i'm not they stay in the crate..hope i answer most of your questions..good luck in finding your new dog..

jasen
Novice

Aug 3, 2006, 6:47 AM

Post #16 of 39 (11878 views)
Shortcut

Hi Michael,
Thx for that. Yes, negative reinforcement is quite difficult to balance most of the time. Yes, have had experience, not enough tho' in protection work/tracking. K9. Most of it was, by my thinking today, really far off. A lot depended on the environment/people which you do have in Chicago. But the missing link was always the lines - until recently. Seems the sudden availability has opened up a big market. Not here though. SchH is still a novelty.
Still looking/deciding on the right balance between what I have in mind of a GSD in terms of form, function and temperament - even though the founding ideals are very much of a different time, I believe working lines should still be acceptable in our more sedentary society. Sometimes, I think it will get much worse for GSD idealists before it'll get better.
Anyway, how long have you been involved in SchH? What do you like about it? For me, tracking is what I find interesting, not the protection. But that's me. Keep it up - 11pm walks? Cool
Jasen

Michaelw1979
Novice

Aug 3, 2006, 7:30 AM

Post #17 of 39 (11870 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jasen,

Like I said it’s a lot of hard work..preparing a dog for SchH is a lot of hard work..not only for you dog but also yourself….training most of the time if not all the time is not only for your dog but also yourself how to handle to dog and prepare yourself when the times come for the BH, SchH trials…to achieve high 90's points is even harder and most can imagine…..but point are very much base on perception of the judges and of course the community and etc…here in America, SchH is a very big thing for GSD's owner…so you can imagine..in a regional trial maybe 30-40 dogs for SchH trials, BH so on and so forth…in a National show up to 300-400 dogs competing to be the top dog…the amount of training and experience…..that the handlers (*although most of them pay handlers from germany) is just astounding…

I don't know much how the mindset of the people in Malaysia have regarding GSD and GSD training…but aside from SchH trials most GSD's here also go for the AD or breed survey to certify their characteristic and temperament…mainly for the purpose of breeding…which not only requires 4 generation of history…but also the dog's endurance…15 miles run without showing great exhaustion….

Just curious how much do people usually pay for a working line GSD puppy? As far as GSD's here a big focus is also put into Confirmation (Show) ..not only the GSD has to be able to work but they also have to look good…IDEALIST will always remain IDEALIST…. If only we all live in an IDEAL world.. =) ..

Tracking is a fun sport…any dog can track..i don't know how big tracking is in Malaysia..but here there are a lot of tracking competition and as far as title for a GSD here the highest achieveable title for a GSD is the TDX.. (Tracking Expert) or the other title given by the AKC tracking…SchH is a sport that incorporates all the 3 stages….there are people who also pursue the TD and TDX title in addition to the SchH titles…

As far as being involve with SchH is concern appoximately 3 1/2 years now..11 pm walks is nothing I've walked him at 12.00 midnight and sometimes even 1 in the morning..the dog has to go he has to go…don't want him to poop in his crate and start rolling around in it… =)

jasen
Novice

Aug 3, 2006, 9:36 PM

Post #18 of 39 (11858 views)
Shortcut

Hi Michael, Don't know much about home - Malaysia - anymore. Haven't been back for a while. Live in Sydney. Not terribly pricey here but not the same quality either. Are the club level SchH trials competitive as well? Who are the judges? How are they qualified to judge? Regards Jasen

Michaelw1979
Novice

Aug 4, 2006, 5:37 AM

Post #19 of 39 (11845 views)
Shortcut

The clubs trial are fairly competetive..but that up to each individual perception...all the judges are SV Judges or Körmeister.... very experienced with the GSD breed and about 90 percent of them are from Germany..have been breeders, helpers and years of judging...this is a website you can go to to check out some activities going on here in the States regarding working dog...and SchH trials...websites from different clubs in USA and their club competition..and you can also find out more information about the judges and stuff..... www.gsdca-wda.org/events.htm...there is a lot of information about judging and stuff basically everything and anything you want or need to know about the whole ScH or working dog world..how everything is judge, organize, etc etc ..anything about the SchH and working dog world...aside from the most important thing of course...the dog...

Michaelw1979
Novice

Aug 4, 2006, 5:58 AM

Post #20 of 39 (11844 views)
Shortcut

By the way here is the website to the GSD club that i participate in which is mainly more focus on GSD confirmation..

http://www.mittelwest.com

and here is the trainers who i've enlisted the service of

www.geocities.com/statelinesc/Events.html

jasen
Novice

Aug 4, 2006, 7:19 AM

Post #21 of 39 (11838 views)
Shortcut

Hi Michael, Nice site. West German lines? Is this the Martinez family?
As for SV judges, are the trials restricted to GSDs?
I was thinking of what you mentioned on "out"/release, have you tried giving the pup an alternative toy/tug once he releases? Also, isn't it difficult to get on to something else when the pup doesn't release?
Btw, what's your dog? How long did you take to decide?
Regards Jasen

Michaelw1979
Novice

Aug 4, 2006, 8:49 PM

Post #22 of 39 (11831 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jasen,

Yes its the Martinez family. But sad to say Dan passed away early this year.

The URL address is only for GSD only. GSD SchH is pretty big size here in the States. I believe Dobers and Rotts. But i'm only involve with the SchH for GSD only. As far as out/release (between training here in done in German language only because SV judges or Kormeister are from Germany....most of the time for National Show..handlers are from Germany too) dog will release once it gets bore.."PREY DRIVE" if the pillow is moving its a prey when its not moving its no more fun dead..so dog will release..

Mine is a GSD....how long to decide....not very long coz i've had GSDs since i was a kid but not involve in SchH because i was in Malaysia and at that time no one even heard about SchH before..

Now my question to the panels..or anyone can provide me with an answer preferable someone from Malaysia or who is at malaysia who is familiar with the SchH sport in malaysia or who has been to both SchH trials in KL and IPOH...

How many dogs did participate in the Novice in Malaysia Dog Olympic and IPOH SchH?

Are both Don and Zeno dogs titled dogs? If yes what title? SchH I, II or III?

I've looked at the entry form for the trials its very unfair in a way because what if a person who has a SchH III titled dog compete is a SchH I trial? Isn't it unfair for the younger dogs or untitled dogs? There is also no requirements for BH for the SchH I trials? Isn't a BH compulsary before taking the SchH I trials? SchH I trials consist of 3 stages...how come there is only 2 ? where is the tracking? How can anyone claim a SchH I champ when it only involves 2 stages..how come the points are not display? In order to pass SchH I trial the dog needs a minimum of 70 points in all 3 stages of SchH....i don't mean to be rude or offend anyone...just because Don or Zeno happens to be the best participants do they even meets the requirements to pass SchH I trials? I don't want to start a big argument here .. but i'm just very curious...SchH no doubt means obedience and protection..but the trials also involve tracking..how can it even be called a SchH trials when it clearly states is the website the SchH involves 3 stages tracking, obedience and protection and they only do obedience and protection?...someone please enlighten me...i did not see pictures of all the whole obdience trial..i saw a lot of bitework and dumbell retreive...no sit or down in motion? left turn right turn..about turn?

Hopefully i did not offend anyone with my curiousity..just want to know and find out more....be great if someone can provide me with the answer..will appreciate it very much...........thank you in advance..

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 10, 2006, 4:02 AM

Post #23 of 39 (11789 views)
Shortcut

sorry to interupt u guys....i'm juz trying to express my opinion in this matter.....juz a guessing actually....

for the trial that being held during Malaysia Dog Olympic Day.....it is actually the 1st ever Schutzhund Trial in M'sia....

so d organizer probably encourage all participant to freely join in without any restriction......n btw, there are very few participants onli....

if they were to divide accordingly to d title they had obtained....probably there will onli b 2 or even juz 1 dog in d category...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

jasen
Novice

Aug 10, 2006, 5:43 AM

Post #24 of 39 (11782 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Schutzhund Advise [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Amanda, Thanks for the info. Good to see SchH being practised. Did you attend the M'sian Dog Olympic Day? I would have liked to but do not live in M'sia anymore. From the online discussions, there seem quite a few working dog trainers around. Do you enjoy SchH?
Regards Jasen

Michaelw1979
Novice

Aug 10, 2006, 9:04 AM

Post #25 of 39 (11771 views)
Shortcut

Hi Amanda,

Don't mean to be prudent in my earlier post. I guess there is a slight variation between the SchH trial that was held in Malaysia in relate to the ones held here in the States. My misconception. I apologize for that. Over here trials mean the dogs that are competiting are titled based on the points that the dogs achieved in the trials. Upon achieving 70% or higher points the dogs are awarded SchH title. Then from there who ever has the highest points is call the champs. I wasn't and didn't know how the SchH trials was carried out so i was just curious. Was the points achieved by the dogs ever published or announced?
I guessed its a great way for organizer to introduce the sport to the Malaysian community. Just curious how many participants were there or participated? I guess to me i wouldn't even call it an SchH trial ..it sounds more like a SchH introduction. or perhaps maybe Obedience and Protection Competition. I wish the organizer would note that its better to introduce something like SchH the whole picture rather than just obedience and proctection. General public tends to get confused.
In summary, i would say that its great organizer try to introduce the new sport to the community. But if you are going to do something right, might as well do it right in the first place, rather than going back to fix something later down the line.
If i failed BM in SPM, even if i've 9A1 in the rest of the subject i still failed SPM. Can i sit for my SPM if i don't pass my PMR??

In Reply To

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my