40C FEVER!!!

silvrash
Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2006, 3:54 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1236 views)
Shortcut
40C FEVER!!! Can't Post

hi,

took my doggy to the vet last month(17/5) and the vet say she have a 40C high fever >.<'' and lost 1kg.....

We asked for tablets instead of injection because we though that it's too risky to let her have the injection with such a high fever(our dog died before after taking injection for fever), after a week of taking the medicine, she seems better, not hot when we tough her stomach.

So last thursday my sister bath her..... at 5pm.... and the next day her fever came back..... took her to the vet again, given antibiotic and fever medicine. But till now still can fell the she is hot(warmer than usual, sometime its ok, but sometime is warmer especially at night time). lost another 300grms

Her medicine will finish tomorrow, so i'm planning to take her back to check on Friday.

Anyone have any idea about this condition, as the vet said 40C is very rare. and we worried that is not just fever and we can't bare if anything happen to her

Please let me know if anyone have any suggestion, tytyty

www.wretch.cc/album/LilLiFashion

(This post was edited by silvrash on Jun 8, 2006, 3:58 AM)

stars
Novice

Jun 23, 2006, 8:32 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1194 views)
Shortcut
Re: [silvrash] 40C FEVER!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your dog might have recovered by now. Just sharing what I will do.

I will try:

a) Prepare some 'cooling' food for the dog

boil some barley and use the barley water only to cook some pork meat and leave it to room temperature, mix with rice and feed the dog. Let the dog drink more of the pork cook in barley soup, suppose will reduce fever. Did you monitor the dog water intake, the colour of the dog's urine and whether any change in the dog's poo?

b) If the vet's medicne don't get your dog better/ recover, maybe try

press a panadol to powder with a metal spoon, force the dog mouth open and drop the powder inside the mouth. When i does that for my dog, some powder ends up around his mouth and he will lick them and end up consuming. Please only give the dog one(big dog) or half(small dog) panadol ONCE a day only. Monitor dog's response(whether better or appear umcomfortable) closely. Panadol should relieve some pain. Don't mix feed panadol together with medicine from vet.

coffee

Jun 25, 2006, 9:00 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1179 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stars] 40C FEVER!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Try not to give panadol to a cat or dog. Adult dose of 500mg can be lethal to a 10 kg dog and cat is twice as dangerous. Yes it will help to relieve pain and reduce temperature but it will leave behind residue which is tosic and can't be eliminated by cat and dog. You are lucky if the dog recovered, most of the time because not much of panadol went in and some even vomit. A lot of time this become irreversible damage even if send to the vet. The initial problem might be ok already but die of permanent damage cause by panadol. Beware.

Cooling is a better way. Take some ice and wrap with towl and put at the inner thigh. Send the dog to the vet. Fever is a body response to harmful material invading body. There must be something wrong. Just to bring down temperature is not the best thing to do.

stars
Novice

Jun 26, 2006, 12:07 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coffee] 40C FEVER!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Coffee,

i gave the extra strong panadol(1 tablet) for my dog last month. It was night time at that time, he appear very unwell cos when he stand up, he collapse on floor. And he also salivates alot dropping on the floor. He keeps walking to me and leaning on my legs like asking for help. Then I thought perhaps a panadol might help relieve his pain. Then i press 1 tablet into powder and drop it inside his mouth, some powder end up on the floor, guess he ate about 85% of 1 tablet? Then within 1 hour, i saw him sleeping soundly and appear comfortable.(no more salivating) That day, he didn't eat anything, when i bring him dinner, he didn't eat also. Then when in middle of night, i cooked some pork soup, he can walk inside the kitchen(on his own without falling down) and look at me and what i'm preparing for him. He finished the whole thing! Then the next day, i saw he appear better, no salivating, but not as active as normal, and at 2nd night,i suspect he has a fever( i'm not sure cos his abit warm) i gave him 1 panadol powder again, he then sleep soundly.

I saw him running around the house by the 3rd day morning.. He has recovered

I know that over dosage of panadol will harm the dog, so i gave my dog (his weight about 15kg?, a local mixed breed, mongrel) one tablet a day. Then, some are lost during the pressing panadol process, transfer to hand and finally inside his mouth, the remaining amount should be about 70 to 85% of one tablet ( i don't know?) But he appear better within one hour after consuming it.

You mentioned some residue which the dog cannot eliminates? Is it going to do him harm in future although he has recovered now?

silvrash
Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2006, 7:33 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1161 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stars] 40C FEVER!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hihi,

she ok now

after i took her to the vet for another 2x. the last one was to double check if the fever is gone.

the vet said she also dono what is causing her to keep getting the fever, maybe something like air freshener or perfume might be the cause if she is sensitive to it. If she have to fever again then maybe need to consider blood test to check if her internal organ is ok or not >.<''

barley with pork? hmm, never tried that before. we usually boil chicken or pork in soup or plain water for her.

i might try it out next time ^^ barley water should make the pork sweeter and taste better

my this dog very "mah fan" one, sometime boil meat for her she also don't want to eat...... force her to eat, she spit it out....

thxs for your advice ^^
www.wretch.cc/album/LilLiFashion

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my