Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
My dog chase her tail!

ckim
Novice

Jun 5, 2006, 2:27 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2103 views)
Shortcut
My dog chase her tail! Can't Post

I have gone to three vet, yet my dog chase her tail. The last vet said its due to the glans, located at the outside of the anus, being blocked. Suggest that I massage when giving weekly bath but she still chase her tail..... help me....

chrisong
Doggyman

Jun 5, 2006, 4:59 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ckim] My dog chase her tail! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not Massage. But you need to empty the Anal Gland but pushing it out. Did the vet show you how to do it?

ckim
Novice

Jun 6, 2006, 2:44 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] My dog chase her tail! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tks. No, the vet only said to massage the anus area when i bath the dog (once a week), that may help to remove any blockage. How do i empty the glands?

chrisong
Doggyman

Jun 6, 2006, 8:46 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2070 views)
Shortcut

Use tissue to held up to the anus on both sides of the anal area. Squeezed between thumb & forefinger into a tissue held externally.

If already been emptied adequately, the scooting or chasing tail should resolve in a couple of days.

ckim
Novice

Jun 7, 2006, 6:41 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2051 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] My dog chase her tail! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tks Chrisong, Will try out your advice and will let you know within a day or two.

potter

Feb 9, 2007, 12:11 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1755 views)
Shortcut

Emptying anal glands should only be done by the vet. If you don't know how to do it or not experienced, you may ruse too much strength and rupture the anal glands and that is big trouble. Look for a vet that knows how to do it and is willing to do it.

Sometimes, chasing its tail is also a sign of boredom or non-stimulation. Get your dog more toys but if it is not the case, call a vet tp have the anal glands expressed!
potter

www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=410379

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my