Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Dogs attack other dogs in the house!!! HELP!!!

alana
Novice

May 29, 2006, 7:19 PM

Post #1 of 20 (4349 views)
Shortcut
Dogs attack other dogs in the house!!! HELP!!! Can't Post

Hey - i hope someone can help me wtih my problem here. I have a local dog (looks like a mixed dog - probably with an alsatian blood) name Kacy. I suspect because of her upbringing thats why she is behaving this way. We rescued her from this owner who pretty much abused Kacy - she was caged in a cage - a cage within a cage and was also chained up since she was small. we managed to rescue her when she 1 year plus and she's now staying with us happily. though initially she always run back to her former owner's house. she seems to be craving for attention from anyone in our house - she'll lick you to get your attention or use her paw to touch u and she also makes this sound (as if she's trying to talk to you) or sometimes when u come home and walk past her, she'll pull your skirt or pants to get your attention. (well, i think she's just wants attention). i also have 2 small dogs in the house. few years later, we bought 2 rottweiler pups and they're now 1 yr 2 mths old.

just last weekend, when we let the two small dogs out of the house for their toilet rounds - kacy wanted to attack one of the small dog. knowing this, the small dog ran into the house and the other small dog ran out of the house. and the other dogs attacked this second small dog. (mistaken identity perhaps?) anyway, the next day the same thing happened. we let the two small dogs out for the toilet round again - everyone seems fine. behaving well. one of the rottweilers started to follow one of the small dog (i thought because he was trying to mark where the small dog has marked). until suddenly the rottweiler started to attack the small dog AGAIN. this time the other dogs followed suit. the rottweilers were dragging the small dog. we managed to let go of the small dog from the grip of the rottweilers and quickly bring them back into the house again.

my questions - i've had rottweilers before and i've never seen one that behaves like this. is it because the rottweilers are not neutered hence they have all this male hormones in them???? would neutering them help?

now that the rottweilers has tasted blood from the small dogs, does it mean they will have be on the lookout for the small dogs? waiting to attack and bite them again??

i hope someone out there can help me. i wouldnt want to see the two small dogs end up dead one day.

i am considering neutering the two rottweilers for reason that i wont be breeding them anyway and at least when they're neutered, they wont be as aggressive and wont go crazy where there are female dogs in the neighborhood that are on heat.

alana

In Reply To

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 30, 2006, 6:57 PM

Post #2 of 20 (4335 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alana] Dogs attack other dogs in the house!!! HELP!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

yes.....best is 2 neutered.....then they won't be so nervous when there r females on heat.....

n is good 4 their health too.....neutered dog will not do marking while u walk them too...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

alana
Novice

May 30, 2006, 7:38 PM

Post #3 of 20 (4332 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Dogs attack other dogs in the house!!! HELP!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hey amanda85.

thank you for your reply. really appreciate it. do u know if i have the rotts neutred, will they stop attacking the small dogs in the house? i know for sure they will be less aggressive. i read somewhere that after the surgery, they will be less active hence they will put on weight therefore must give them exercise and watch their diets too.

alana

p/s: u see my avatar pic - that's my dog Sunshine - one of the small dog i was referring to -she was the one probably the mistaken identity one that got bitten on her back.

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 30, 2006, 7:48 PM

Post #4 of 20 (4328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alana] Dogs attack other dogs in the house!!! HELP!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

ya....coz their activity level will be lowered....but as for my dog, she is still so slim....n some claim that she looks underweight...eventhough she's spayed.....so it really depends from dog to dogs...every dog situation will be different...

as for attacking problem...usually vet will also recommend neutering....but there is actually no guarantee.....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

alana
Novice

May 30, 2006, 7:54 PM

Post #5 of 20 (4326 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Dogs attack other dogs in the house!!! HELP!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hey amanda,

i guess its no harm having them neutered even though there's no guarantee that they will stop attacking the small dogs. better for them to be neutered so they will be less agreesive and easier to handle and wont go crazy during those heat cycle.

can i ask what sort of games do u play with your rotts? my rotts are very stubborn. i have a pair of brothers. when they're alone, they're easy to handle. when they'er together, gosh..its pretty much pushing and shoving by them.

they are crazy. jumps into the pond, plays in the flower, bites the car bumpers!, drags the concrete slabs on the garden floor, bites the sponge, laungry etc. and they dont respond well to 'NO'.

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 30, 2006, 10:32 PM

Post #6 of 20 (4322 views)
Shortcut

ya...i 100% support neutering n spaying....unless some1 is into breeding....

i spayed all my dogs....but actually i don't own any rottweiler....

since u had rotti, is wise 2 enrol them for a obedience class....as their r big, large n aggressive dogs if d owner did not train them properly.....that's y u often seen news about rotti attacking d child....n shah alam had already ban this breed in their territory....

dogs will not able to respond to No! if d owner didn't teach them to.....1st of all....try to keep ur dog confined.....in a smaller area, rather than let them running around in d garden when u wanted to do some training wit them or even spending time educating them....

wit a limited area, ur dog cannot escape away....it can ease u to grab hold of them when they did something wrong.....

it seems like ur dog r really active n had a lot of energy to burn,......as rotti are actually working dogs....they need a lot of exercise....

u must bring them for walk more often than an average dog n if possible, bring them for a jog.....

the most important point here is....tired dog will be an obedient dog...

Pacco de Mongrel

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 1, 2006, 11:51 PM

Post #7 of 20 (4300 views)
Shortcut

You have to take a firm stand because you are the alpha dog of this pack. You should be in control and you should make the decisions. Secondly, you have to formally introduce the dogs to each other. That means under your supervision. The younger dog or the more submissive dog is in its down position while the dominant or stronger dog has the right to sniff on him. You are speaking with a friendly soothing voice. If you are not absolutely sure that you can control the dog then use the leash. This will normally suffice. Last, but not least, you have to decide on the hierarchy in your pack and pet, feed, groom them in this order.

amber_mae

Sep 3, 2006, 11:46 PM

Post #8 of 20 (4186 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Dogs attack other dogs in the house!!! HELP!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with JoeSmith. You are the the alpha, the leader and you must show them that you are the LEADER of the pack! The one way which you can overcome this prob, my way of doing it lah but for others I don't know...Use a Halti or a Gentle Leader. It's a thing which straps the head and it's mouth(the mouth still can open for the tongur to come out), so there's a good control of his whole head. The prob with collars or choke chains, there's not much control just like the harness. Agree?

Don't mistaken it for a muzzle. It's diff. A muzzle is used to prevent the dog from biting, attacking, barking and so on..But the Halti or the Gentle Leader is used for training especially on disobedient or aggressive or in other words, problemed dogs. I think you Rott falls into this category. But the Halti can also help to stop him from attacking and barking people or other dogs. You must use it in a right way ofcourse...

Before you go out for walks, put on the Halti or Gentle Leader on it and let it get used to it atleast for an hour. As you go out, attach the leash on it and hold it very close to you but make sure he can open his mouth. When you walk pass a house or when you know he's going to start his barking the moment he sees a dog, pull/tug the leash a few times, upwards, softly but high-up and say "shhh...shhh...shhh". Repeat this. If you can see his ears go back and his eyes looking into yours, he's beginning to realise who's the boss. You also must look into his eyes and tell him, not using your mouth but through your eyes. For this moment, do not allow him to look at that dog that he wants to attack.

Always, make sure you walk up straight, head up, chess back and walk like you're proud of yourself. BE CONFIDENT AT ALL TIMES! Don't feel scared or worried. Never feel sorry for the dog, coz if you do, the dog will take advantage of you. This goes the same for the timid and shy ones. Don't be soft with it, just pull(not drag) and walk.Frown Never talk to your dog like this, "Fido, no, no, no please, no, please," and you're trying and trying to pull him away from it. This will not work. As for your dog, whenever you bring him out, make sure use a halti or a Gentle Leader, a tight-leash, and a proud sense of humour.

My Dal was a timid dog, but now she's not coz I use this method. No scolding, no beating and no punishing. I'm not saying that this method will work for all dogs, they all need diff types of methods. But for you, try it out first, be consistent. Make sure you're firm at all times. Always walk straight and show your dogs that you're the leader of the pack. Never give them a chance.

Let me tell you sumthing funny, last month we called Jabatan Haiwan coz we complained about an abusive owner opposite our house, and this malay man came out of the van and he looked damn serious, didn't smile, was a lil unfriendly and looked tough. Usually when new people come to our house, iur dogs will jump on the gate and there'll be a big hoo-haa lah! But when they saw this malay man, then got very scared and went down. So that's how you gota be. I mean not so serious lah until the dogs will get scared of you, but just show them you're the MAN!!!

This method will deffinately work for whatever dogs, if you do it right. And I think you can. If I can, you can, and anybody can do it! I hope this will go well which I have no doubt. Good Luck alana, all the best!Frown

If anybody else have this similar prob, I suggest you to use this method. Nothing harsh for your dog...Frown

Giving care is like a 'Boomerang'

When you give it out freely, it always comes back to you

Remember that...

FrownVisit Amber-Mae's BlogFrown

http://www.ambers-diary.blogspot.com(Updated 2nd Oct 2006)

(This post was edited by amber_mae on Sep 4, 2006, 12:06 AM)

zen
Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2006, 7:08 AM

Post #9 of 20 (4169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [amber_mae] Dogs attack other dogs in the house!!! HELP!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

amber_mae

Wah...u really good in training ur dog. Thanks for ur information, but im sure wheter i manage to train my pup. i have a 3+ month old pup, the onli thing that he learn is sit. he love to bite (our hand & leg) sooo much until bleed sometimes.Frown its quite hard for me & bf to train him coz he never pay attention to us, he cannot sit stay. He only pay attention when we have treat with us, he love to eat so much, he eat anythg. We trying all the tecnic that suggested in d forum, tats some improvement but sometimes he will behave more aggressive than ever. Unsure

I hav 2 leave him alone in the playpen from morning till afternoon coz I have to attend classes. Is this one of the factors that lead him to behave like tis? or izit i spoiled him for not being straight to him when he is younger.....

I plan to walk my pup in the park and i even plan to bring him to join the event organise by puppy.com at central park. but im worried that i will lose control of him when there are others dogs ard.....and one more thing i haven neuter him, is this a pro to bring him to outdoor activities?

FrownBen@Benjamin, my baby boy.Frown

The cross breed with the most amazing eyes.
http://www.colliebenjamin.blogspot.com

amber_mae

Sep 11, 2006, 8:00 AM

Post #10 of 20 (4160 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zen] Dogs attack other dogs in the house!!! HELP!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

No lah, I'm not a professional trainer but I just figured out a way to get through this kind of prob. And it does work...Today, I went to someone's house, and they had a Golden named Chelsea and she's damn wild! She's hardly given walks and she doesn't have a playmate to play with. So she's bored everyday...

Anyway, she barked at my Dalmatian and she pulled alot when she's on leash. I used this method and she calmed down...Ofcourse she's older so I use choke chain thus, they did not have a halti. All I did was just pull her neck up a lil. Doesn't hurt but gives a lil discomfort to her neck. And all I said was, "shhh...shhh..." She stopped. She started again, but i just repeated until she gave up then as a reward for shutting up and not pulling, I allowed her to chase my Dalmatian (playing).

Okay, if your puppy bites your hand, all you have to do is to just push his face away. NO beating! Until he gives up then you praise him OR play with him again. make sure you don't taunt him to play/bite your hand again...He will stop, just be patient...Usually, when they bite (for young puppies like yours), they are testing out and knowing who you are. This happens to all puppies, don't worry...That's how they get to know you. But now he's older, it's time for him to learn.

My dogs are damn spoilt, but they do listen to us becoz we are their boss and they know it. Don't play play with us! hehehe...You shouldn't leave him too long in the playpen coz this may lead him to bark alot coz he wants to come out. At least 2 hours is good enuf! I know you're busy but isn't there anyone else in the house to take care or play with him? But if not, then there's no choice but to. They'll get used to it, it's okay, they won't become psychotic or anything like that unless you leave it in there for 24 hours.

Since he's still a young pup, he will pull coz he hasn't been leash trained. It's okay. I don't think he's that strong enuf unless he's a huge mutt! Is he? What breed is he? There's nothing wrong if your dog is unneutored. He's still young. You can wait till he is 1 year plus if you're not planning to use him for mating...Maybe he'll bark at other dogs but all you have to do is just use my method or never,mind, just ask him to keep quiet. You can start entering him for puppy classes now you know? Three month should start or it'll be too late. Good luck!

Frown

Remember that...

zen
Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2006, 9:23 PM

Post #11 of 20 (4150 views)
Shortcut
Re: [amber_mae] Dogs attack other dogs in the house!!! HELP!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi amber_mae,

thanks for ur reply. Im trying to train my pup like wat u mention in ur post...hopefully it works on my pup. Oh, by the way my benjamin is a mixed collie, adopted from a friend. but my friends said he looks like a jack russel bcoz of his color...hehe.

Oh about the puppy classes, where can i send him to? im staying in damansara, near ikano.

FrownBen@Benjamin, my baby boy.Frown

The cross breed with the most amazing eyes.
http://www.colliebenjamin.blogspot.com

amber_mae

Sep 12, 2006, 12:22 AM

Post #12 of 20 (4142 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zen] Dogs attack other dogs in the house!!! HELP!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

FrownI have no doubt. He will learn it fast...Always start training a puppy as young as possible. I mean at least 2mth plus. It's not bad to train him later or when he's slightly older, but it's just it'll be a lil harder and that you need lotz of patience. The reason for this is becoz, once he gets used to the things happening around him everyday, how you treat him, his bad habits and all that, it'll be difficult to eliminate all of those things. That's why, you should always train a puppy from young. FrownTry to avoid training a pup when he's 6mth plus. All the whatever wrong things he's been learning and doing all his life with you (not saying you're the one who's teaching him wrong things), will stay in his brain!

But since your pup's still young, try not to be too harsh with him. If you want your dog to learn not to attack or bark at other dogs, I would prefer if he used a halti or a Gentle leader. It's softer for him and it's much easier to control his whole head. He shouldn't be using a choke chain ahhh...too harsh for his neck, I'm sure you know that.

But ofcourse, do allow him to sniff noses with the other dogs. That's how they socialize and get to know each other. If he does this from young like now, he'll not be aggressive towards other animals nor people later. Also let them play together. You must allow him to since he doesn't have another playmate in the house with him. This is very important...

You know about my Dalmatian. I wrote about her in the previous, previous post. Now she's okay but sometimes still a lil timid when large dogs go after her or jump on her...There's still ime for her to learn, she's only gona be 7mth this coming 14th Sept.

From what I can see in your pic display, Benjamin is kinda cute!Frown No, actually he does look like a Collie mix with some other dog, maybe a Jack Russel.

Okay, since you live near Ikano, I only know one place which I'm bringing my two dogs there every Sunday to train. It's at Seri kembangan, South Citi Plazza. We just had our Graduation Day which is held by MKA yesterday and it's not too late for you and your dog to register for the puppy class. This Sunday will be the 2nd week for training...Besides MKA training, you can also try out puppycom training. You can see the advertisement in the home page. I only know these two training fellows. They both are equally good, so you can try out either one. Hehehe! But I also heard of petnyou training too. You can check out their web. www.petnyou.com.my. I think that's the web...

If you wana know more about MKA training, here's my email- pinklips_tokiss@yahoo.com

Okay, good luck with your cute pupsy, tata!Frown

Remember that...

(This post was edited by amber_mae on Sep 12, 2006, 12:35 AM)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Sep 14, 2006, 3:23 AM

Post #13 of 20 (4127 views)
Shortcut

ur dogs r actually afraid of 'big serious looking malay man'??

both d dogs in my house will bark like d earth is gonna collapse...

Pacco de Mongrel

amber_mae

Sep 15, 2006, 12:13 AM

Post #14 of 20 (4121 views)
Shortcut

Yeah, becoz he had a strict face and also remember, my two dogs are females and non-aggressive and not into barking at people that much...They would only bark a il and jump on the gate to greet people but since this man was serious looking, they left him alone lah! The other two chinese men were friendly and came forward unlike that malay man. Ofcourse you gota show them too thru your eyes and not be scared of them. The dogs can sense it...I'm sure you know that.

Remember that...

Amanda85
Doggyman

Sep 15, 2006, 12:23 AM

Post #15 of 20 (4119 views)
Shortcut

never try tat b4...

but my dog will bite when stranger (who she feel is unfriendly) wanted to pet her....

Pacco de Mongrel

amber_mae

Sep 16, 2006, 4:29 AM

Post #16 of 20 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Oooo..That's not good. Your dog looks like a happy and friendly dog. So basically, you're the only one lah who can touch her?

Remember that...

Amanda85
Doggyman

Sep 19, 2006, 4:51 PM

Post #17 of 20 (4092 views)
Shortcut

not only me.....my family n other familiar frens can touch....1st time stranger kenotCool

Pacco de Mongrel

amber_mae

Sep 20, 2006, 12:39 AM

Post #18 of 20 (4082 views)
Shortcut

Shockedaha...I see! For my dogs anybody is allowed to touch them but Faith tends to be a lil timid when new person does. But they never bite at all & that's the way I like it!Frown

Remember that...

potter

Feb 9, 2007, 11:01 AM

Post #19 of 20 (3877 views)
Shortcut

Hahahah my dog will let anyone touch him strangers or not. He will actually go get other people to pet him! I think I oversocialized him!!!
potter

www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=410379

Amanda85
Doggyman

Feb 9, 2007, 6:42 PM

Post #20 of 20 (3873 views)
Shortcut
Re: [potter] Dogs attack other dogs in the house!!! HELP!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah...ur dog is kinda too friendly...

it depends on d owner herself....some owner like their dogs to be so friendly....but others r not....

friendly cute little dog can be easily dognap without any effort.....Sly (evil thought of mine)

Pacco de Mongrel

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my