Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Eye Care and Conditions:
Shih Tzu tears/stain

fcleetracy
Enthusiast

May 17, 2006, 12:27 AM

Post #1 of 17 (23893 views)
Shortcut
Shih Tzu tears/stain Can't Post

Unsure my 2yrs old shih tzu have a lot of tears and it cause a brownish stain on in between the eye/nose. I've ask the groomer, she said most of the dogs have this prob and using the cleanser won't help much. Anyone has a better solution.. please advise Frown

Tongue Maid for Coda, Cody, Oreo & Hobbes Tongue

chaiwoon

May 17, 2006, 5:43 PM

Post #2 of 17 (23881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fcleetracy] Shih Tzu tears/stain [In reply to] Can't Post

clean it up as often as u can using tear stain remover.. it really helps.. i clean my boy's eye area 3 times a day and some time even more... u can also try massage his eye area..
www.dogster.com/?378834

chrisong
Doggyman

May 17, 2006, 6:06 PM

Post #3 of 17 (23878 views)
Shortcut

You can cure the tears/stain problem by doing a simple operation to clear the block vessel inside the eyes so that the tears wouldn't flow out from the eyes. But, it is only temporary cure according to my vet.

One more thing you can try, change your dog food to Blackwood 5000. I try this before on my JoJo. It work, no tear stain, even now I change back to her previour brand JoJo also no more tears stain.

Last, You must clean their eyes daily using warm cloth. Use eyes drop once a week after bath.

Hope this help. Let us know what is your out come.

fcleetracy
Enthusiast

May 17, 2006, 6:09 PM

Post #4 of 17 (23877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chaiwoon] Shih Tzu tears/stain [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Chaiwoon, thanks a lot for your advise...will try cleaning it with the stain remover. Apart from that, I keep his fur very short especially the eye&mouth area.. Coda likes to play with water .. makes him smelly .. Frown

fcleetracy
Enthusiast

May 17, 2006, 6:15 PM

Post #5 of 17 (23876 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Shih Tzu tears/stain [In reply to] Can't Post

Woof Woof Chris, thanks for your advise..

Frown Operation? no no lah..

Coda can't even finish his Science Diet in 3months. That fella real choosy with food Unsure headache..like rich man dog. Will change to Blackwood once he&cody finish the food. Cody's taking Eagle Pack but still have tears stain. Is this normal for small breed dog?

Will try the your method and let you know on the outcome. Eyes drop? EyeMo can right?
Frown

chrisong
Doggyman

May 17, 2006, 6:24 PM

Post #6 of 17 (23875 views)
Shortcut

You can buy this eyes drop at guardian pharmacy. Its call "Tear Naturall II - by Alcon" Is cost about RM9.90.

Use it once a week after bath. One drop in each eyes.

fcleetracy
Enthusiast

May 17, 2006, 6:33 PM

Post #7 of 17 (23873 views)
Shortcut

Frown will go look for it tonight.. thanks a bunch

Frown

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 14, 2006, 2:21 PM

Post #8 of 17 (23728 views)
Shortcut

My shih tzu too has a lot of tear stain around his eyes and nose.. When i got the dog that time, the stain is already there.. May i know anyway to clean it up? He look messy with it coz the stain is a brownish colour.. I try to use those stain remover but the effect doesn't seems to be so positive.. I clean his eyes stain almost 3 times a day.. But the previous stain juz won't wear off? Need help ><

-------------------------------------------------
Visit Bobby At www.dogster.com/?395955 ^^

chrisong
Doggyman

Oct 14, 2006, 6:54 PM

Post #9 of 17 (23725 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wba84] Shih Tzu tears/stain [In reply to] Can't Post

Cut off the tear stain hair around the dog eyes & also try to cut off the hair that poke into the dog eyes.

After that clean the dog eyes area daily.

After bath use eyes drop.

That will solve your tear stain problem.

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 14, 2006, 9:32 PM

Post #10 of 17 (23720 views)
Shortcut

Okie.. TQ Smile

Visit Bobby At www.dogster.com/?395955 ^^

cutedeb
New User

Sep 14, 2007, 9:49 AM

Post #11 of 17 (23239 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Cut off the tear stain hair around the dog eyes & also try to cut off the hair that poke into the dog eyes.

After that clean the dog eyes area daily.

After bath use eyes drop.

That will solve your tear stain problem.

wah.. can't imagine u are here as advisor too.. haha... now i know y u always bz..

my sis Shih Tzu facing the same thing.. her face very smelly... i am trying hard to figure what actually the problem.. but until today i still can't find the answer..

Chris, do u know y??

by the way, i will buy the eye drops & give it a try on her. She is not taking Science Plan.. ok for her? or i shall change to Royal Canin..?

chrisong
Doggyman

Sep 14, 2007, 4:53 PM

Post #12 of 17 (23236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cutedeb] Shih Tzu tears/stain [In reply to] Can't Post

Both brands also good. If Science Plan she not facing problem then no need to change loh

Old Man
Dog Kichi

Sep 30, 2007, 8:26 PM

Post #13 of 17 (23045 views)
Shortcut

according to my experience, mainly is the huminity or the environment factors that cause the tears problem, frequent tears running or over flood of tears will eventually cause the tears stains. Secondly is the food.

keeping the environment clean free from dust and huminity of 45% to 55% does perfectly to avoid frequent tears. Liver or eggs base dog food helps in reducing the problem too.
A Old Man That Always Look Young and His Young But Old looking Pitbull

CEDRICSIN
Novice

Oct 13, 2007, 9:42 PM

Post #14 of 17 (22917 views)
Shortcut

Totally agree on cutting the hair that facing toward the eye, i think that is the main reason where the hair keep on poking the big eyeballs with every blink he/she made (if u own a shih tzu lah) and cause a constant irritation over the eyeball. As in human, if there is something that keep on irritating ur ear, what will happen next? .........for sure there will be alot of tears come out in order to wash away the irritant.... same in dog lah, somemore their tear contain higher percentage of iron which will become brownish color when long expose to the air (if u still remember ur chemistry about oxidation of ferum), on top of that, they have Hairs which kind of trap the tears over the inner side of the eyes......

jolynn
Novice

Oct 19, 2007, 8:05 PM

Post #15 of 17 (22845 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CEDRICSIN] Shih Tzu tears/stain [In reply to] Can't Post

hey all,
i hav a shih tzu also. and he is facing the same problem also.
but thank goodness, his face is black. so cant really see the stains. but he stinks when he comes near me.
what brand of tear drops would you guys recommend?

jococo
Novice

Dec 22, 2007, 8:37 AM

Post #16 of 17 (22503 views)
Shortcut

Hi there,

I know this is a pretty old thread, but just to share something.

I bought Tear Naturale II for my shih tzu too but a vet from UPM didnt recommend it. Instead, she prescribed Hypotears (from Novartis) which can be purchased from local pharmacies for about RM7.60. Can be used daily to prevent dry eyes.

chrisong
Doggyman

Dec 22, 2007, 2:27 PM

Post #17 of 17 (22500 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jococo] Shih Tzu tears/stain [In reply to] Can't Post

May I know why the UPM vet not recommend it?

Tear Naturalle II more expensive selling at RM9.90 it was recommended by a reputable vet in KL.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my