IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Protective Dog (Maybe overprotective)

shiloh

May 2, 2006, 7:05 AM

Post #1 of 13 (3160 views)
Shortcut
Protective Dog (Maybe overprotective) Can't Post

My female mixed breed dog (16 months) is a wonderful dog but she is getting very protective towards our family especially my kids.

She is on the larger side for a mongrel at about 30kg and her instincts are a problem especially when we are out for walks and when we have visitors.

She is well behaved when she goes out with my me and my husband, but if our kids (five years old) come along she gets very aggressive if anyone comes near them. She has this trick of putting herself between my children and anyone who comes near them.

This behavior has only started in the past two months. It was not something that we taught her.

She has never attacked any member of our family, and is quite obedient and intelligent. She is very involved in all our outdoor activities and has a sweet temperament overall.

Recently she tried to attack a person who put his hand through the gate to touch my son. It shocked all of us as she almost got his hand.

Is this normal behavior? Is there anything that can be done to reduce her protectiveness? Is there any dog training that we can attend?

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 2, 2006, 7:11 PM

Post #2 of 13 (3153 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shiloh] Protective Dog (Maybe overprotective) [In reply to] Can't Post

is normal for dog to be overprotective.....my dog will juz barking non stop if there is a stranger approach my gate...not to say sticking a hand in.....

just try to socialize her more often....not just bringing her out for walk....let her be around with more strangers near her.....

try to get stranger to approach her and give her a pat and feed her some treats..

to this let her gain trust on the stranger.... n tat she'll realize strangers bring no harm....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

goofydip
Veteran

Mar 16, 2007, 1:27 AM

Post #3 of 13 (2959 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Protective Dog (Maybe overprotective) [In reply to] Can't Post

hi amanda..do u have any idea on y is a dog is over protective only for his soft toys? my family doggie, the pekingese, scooby..is extremely over protective ove his soft toys only..he is a very aggresive doggie which is bcoz too pampered by my parents n my sister..other toys, he won't be much protect like this..

he didn't have any soft toys all the while..the only he had is a squecking ball and a nylon bone...it happens when one day goofy and i went back to hometown, i took out goofy's soft toy for goofy to play..then when scooby had a try to pick the toy, he had a little time figuring out what the thing is..then he bite the toy and ran under the coffee table in our living room and never came out..whoever go n try to get it, would get a bite from him..we then lure him out with his favourite food, and of course out he come...he won't do this kind of protection over other toys but only for soft toys..

my sis called me up today n told me that on tuesday night, they gave a new toy for him, a soft toy..he didn't play with the toy, he just bite it and run under the table and start jaga his toy again..from night till morning, and from morning till night, didn't come out for food and toilet...and didn't greet them when they reach home where actually he did it every night..who ever goes near would get a growl n bite from him..even his favourite food can't get him out..they then try to move him and curi the thing out..and nearly got bite too...

any idea y he have this kind of behaviour and would it be that he thought the soft toy is food? the way he protect it is like the way he protect his food..

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 16, 2007, 3:07 AM

Post #4 of 13 (2956 views)
Shortcut
Re: [goofydip] Protective Dog (Maybe overprotective) [In reply to] Can't Post

haha....i never encounter something like this b4...coz my dog doesn't like toys...she will only get interested with it on day 1....

do u actually try to snatch away d toy from him when he was a puppy??

mayb u can try to give him d toy without keeping it back for a long time...until he get bored with it...

if u fear that he is a little over protective over his toy...n prefer toy than food...try to starve him a little...n demand him to give d toy back b4 he had his dinner....i dun think he can stand hunger jz becoz he wan d toy...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

goofydip
Veteran

Mar 16, 2007, 3:25 AM

Post #5 of 13 (2952 views)
Shortcut

hi amanda..

no one snatch anything from him b4..from his puppyhood till now..even after i adopted goofy home...he is very aggresive and my family didn't take it a matter and i see that he's getting worst..if ever anyone tried to get anything from him by rough, u'll get the answer from his teeth...

my sis did ket he keep it, but he could keep it a day n 2 nights without food..he is a really stubborn doggie..he once get sick b4 bcoz of stubbornest..he get bored with his food and refuses to eat bout 2 days n got sick, diarrhea n vomit..quite serious at tat time..so now my family seems like give in to him..

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 16, 2007, 5:35 PM

Post #6 of 13 (2944 views)
Shortcut

since u actually adopted him, mayb he already some bad experience frm d previous owner/handler...so being in a shelter with other dogs bullying him, make him seems to protect himself..

in this case, u shld keep away all his toy....try to let him know that d owner's love is more important than anything else....

i think he probably is an insecure dog that needs d toy as his company.....so to get rid of it, u probably shld no longer let him devote his time wit his toy....let him feel d pleasure wit d family members....

try to give him some cuddle n feed some delicious food by using ur hand...this is alwiz made d dog loves n look forward for his owner...

then hopefully after some time, he will forget all about his toy...

Pacco de Mongrel

Milosevic
Novice

Mar 16, 2007, 6:14 PM

Post #7 of 13 (2939 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shiloh] Protective Dog (Maybe overprotective) [In reply to] Can't Post

Your dog has decided your kids are her "kids" and you and husband need to act as the pack leader of your dog. All the dogs/animals follow a 'pack' often the leader/mother (dominant one).

Your dog may obey you now and sweet, but if you and husband don't assert as the boss of the family, the dog will continue to "own" you and the family bit by bit. Thus, it will get progressively get worse by the time she gets older. She is a dominant one and few simple things, in addition to a good REWARD BASED program, will keep your household in good order to handle a dominant female dog.

1) You/husband control food. Don't forget to make her 'work' for her food/treat by asking her to do a simple come, sit, down or stay commands every time, every where BEFORE feeding, walking in the street, going out, playing, opening the door, at the kitchen, in front of TV and etc.
2) Game/playtime starts and finishes with you/husband....if she wants to play again make her ask politely by performing a simple command above.
3)You also control sleeping quarters. If you want to let your dog sleep in bed with you fine but if she goes to bed before you...she gets kicked out...make yourself comfortable then invite her back.
4)You and family walk first through doorways before going out for a walk. She will be the last to walk behind the kids in the street.If she sits besides you- okay! but dont let her sit on your lap (the sign of being a dominant). Only your kids allow to do that not her!
5)The dog stays off the furniture. You, husband, kids get the best resting spots. She on the floor near to your feet.

This way you will teach her to be a follower than a leader in your household. Never again allow her to get away with edging between your kids and a stranger. Tell her 'no', sheeshhh, quiet or 'down', or what ever command you use and if she doesn't obey, pull her away from the stranger, door or gate. Stop her right there and then make her sit-down-stay with stern voice (not yell) and watch her carefully and let the stranger greets your kids not her while she is on the floor!

Goodluck.

Frown
woof woof

(This post was edited by Milosevic on Mar 16, 2007, 7:13 PM)

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Mar 16, 2007, 6:31 PM

Post #8 of 13 (2935 views)
Shortcut

when intro new toys, best is to play together...after playtime. then keep the toys ade. keep on doin this until u have newer toys. the same thing, intro the new toys. eventually u can let him have the old toy for he's own. but he will still would wanna play the new toys which u keep away

this way, u control the toys, not him...

ezekiel 25:17

goofydip
Veteran

Mar 16, 2007, 6:48 PM

Post #9 of 13 (2930 views)
Shortcut

oh no...amanda..my brother bought scooby from pet shop, not adopted..only goofy is adopted...scooby has already all he wants all the time..my family just too pampered him...we just dun understand y he guard his SOFT TOYS like food..only soft toy he'll guard...others toy he won't..

but maybe like wat u say, keep all his toys away from him for some while...let him know who is important lo..

thanx anyway...

goofydip
Veteran

Mar 16, 2007, 6:55 PM

Post #10 of 13 (2927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] Protective Dog (Maybe overprotective) [In reply to] Can't Post

hi vin,

maybe i should also ask my family to try ur way..u might right..play with him and then keep it away...

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Mar 16, 2007, 7:50 PM

Post #11 of 13 (2920 views)
Shortcut

by doin so, u'l maintain the hierachy in the family

goofydip
Veteran

Mar 16, 2007, 8:34 PM

Post #12 of 13 (2916 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] Protective Dog (Maybe overprotective) [In reply to] Can't Post

yes yes...scooby is too much aggresive...and think he is the boss...luckily goofy is not like him..if not..i'll go ...

thanx anyway...

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Mar 16, 2007, 9:27 PM

Post #13 of 13 (2913 views)
Shortcut

good luck

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my