Testical problems

johntim
Novice

May 2, 2006, 3:49 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1423 views)
Shortcut
Testical problems Can't Post

Hi all,

I new adopted puppy have some problem. I have post this in http://vet.com.my and still waiting for doctor or expert waiting. By my GF was too worry about him. So just try to put at puppy.com.my see anyone have experience those problem before. Below are my question.

My GF had adopt 1 Golden Retriever (about a year). we going for Vet check up this morning and found out the testical was inside the body and it not come out. Doctor did advise me to do surgical for remove the testical from the body. If not the dog will have cancer soon or later. I just wanna have few question to ask doctor or expert here.

Question:
1) Are what my doctor said is true? (i just wanna ask for second opinion)
2) After removing the testical from the body, does any side effect?
3) How is the percentage of success rate for this kind operation?
4) Any good place or cheap(my doctor said RM300+) place to do those surgery?

Please advice me... My Gf was very worry about his condition now. I hope any doctor or expert can help me out

If anyone know about this issue, please reply or just let me know. Thank alot in advance.

tpsing
Dog Kichi

May 2, 2006, 5:52 AM

Post #2 of 5 (1412 views)
Shortcut
Re: [johntim] Testical problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Testicular tumors are most common in intact (unneutered) older male dogs. However, they can occur in intact males of any age. There does not appear to be any breed predilection for this tumor. The current cause of testicular tumors is unknown. Dogs that have one or both testicles that are not descended (cryptorchid) are 13 times more likely to develop a tumor in the undescended testicle than dogs with normal testicles. Except for the increased risk of these tumors in cryptorchid dogs, no other risk factors are readily apparent.

The success rate is very high. As for the charges, you will have to ask around for cheaper one.

(This post was edited by tpsing on May 2, 2006, 5:54 AM)

mbless
K9 Kaki

May 2, 2006, 6:05 AM

Post #3 of 5 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Hi...wat your vet advised is correct... your GR is a big dog so the charges he charge you I think is reasonable... usually according to weight of the dog... My dog have the same problem... and he is alright after the procedure... he is just a small dog n his bill is more than RM800.
there is no side effect.... your dog will still be the same. It is better to remove coz it may cause testicular cancer in the future.. some ppl doubt the safety of the procedure but I tell you when your dog have cancer... it is a more devastating process to go thru. Talk to your vet... most vets I know will recommend the procedure and if you read up most books about this undescended testicles, the advise is also to remove it.
After operation, keep your dog indoor and let him rest. Normally no complication. you can read up some books in MPH... on dogs n disease etc... if you r not sure.
My dog had his operation when he was 8 mths old when one of his testicles did not descend. As your dog cannot know any better, I suggest you get more information and you will know wat is best for your dog.

johntim
Novice

May 2, 2006, 5:36 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1398 views)
Shortcut
Re: Testical problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank all, I have 2 replied from others almost similar with you all. I will bring my dog for surgery soon. Just share the replied to you all.

-------------------------------------------------------------

crazymouse_yyh replied

I got same experience.... Just that I did it very late till my dog's testical became a tumour.

Removing the testical won't have any side effects at all. All those myth about dog not fierce, cruel and all is just talk. Your dog will behave just like himself... but of course the 1st year you will see some difference in your dog since he is coping with the hormonal changes. My dog went in the morning for operation, can go back in the evening. So I would say safe.

Last time I did was RM250.

This is my experience only. Ofcouse need vet advice here!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------Dr. TanDY Replied

Just to share with you a few things:

That condition is called "cryptorchidism" - a state when a testis failed to descend into the abdomen and cannot produce spermatozoa ("too hot" in the abdomen). Failure of both testicles to descend is uncommon.

However usually only one testical is needed to produce enough spermatozoa. So most likely you still can breed your dog without problem - if you want to.

As far as I know, there should be no side effect after removing the undescended testical. The remaining testicle should be able to "take over" the function of the removed testicle.

Success rate should be high.

As for pricing, that varies.

Hope that helps..

GRFan
New User

Aug 21, 2006, 4:30 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1296 views)
Shortcut

Hello y'all, my GR got an undescended testicle, he is 18mths old and I am looking to remove it. Any idea where I can get a good vet within KL or Klang Valley? Would appreciate any info, many thanks.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my