IN

Home: Mixed Breed: Mixed Breed and Mongrels:
Mongrels in need of love

pewong

Jan 9, 2006, 11:52 PM

Post #1 of 8 (1405 views)
Shortcut
Mongrels in need of love Can't Post

This is not a 'request' or 'info needed' post. It is just about my feelings on mongrels.

On Sunday morning, as i was walking towards my car within my apt compound, i saw the town council's trailer with 4 mongrels inside. They were sad, frightened and chances they dont have much longer to live and they know it. This is because people are always fascinated and prefer to follow 'trend' of owning purebreed dogs. They have a perception that purebreed dogs are 'prettier' and 'classier'. I think that a dog should not be judged for its appearance as they should be judged with the companionship and loyalty that they can provide. The joy and love that they give unconditionally to its owners.

As i was getting into my car, i noticed a frightened black with white paws mongrel frantically looking for an excape route. What i didnt notice was, there was 2 men on foot with a rope coiled into a loop attached to a long stick. The men was trying to block off the poor mongrel's escape route by cornering the poor creature. The use of force when they catch the poor dog was too just much to bear. I was sad and cried for sometime. Even after i reach 1u with my bf. People were looking at me wondering what's wrong. If only they asked, i could have tell them how some dogs are in need of love and a home. i could have told them then that not only purebreed dogs are pretty and smart. And that mongrels can provide just as much love if not more to them.

Question is how to help a mongrel when there's dog catchers nearby? How can we save these poor creatures? How can we educate the public that dumping a live creature to fend for itself just because the vanity has worn off is not responsible action for a civilized society? How can we tell people that even dogs need love and care just like us humans? How can we stress to people that they feel pain as just we do when we are betrayed?

I love all dogs alike but I think mongrels deserve so much after what they've been through. Living under hot sun, with the next meal nowhere in sight, cowering under trees or cars for shelter in a storm. Mongrels need love too...
pewong

eevon881001
Novice

Feb 17, 2006, 9:28 PM

Post #2 of 8 (1326 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pewong] Mongrels in need of love [In reply to] Can't Post

I absolutely agree with you. The society nowadays lack of love and understanding about anything that happens around them. I've not seen the act of catching stray dogs but I heard many tales and true stories about it that it is cruel and heartless, hitting the dog, slapping, tying it tightly etc. The pound is not in a very good condition either, where there's no space for the dogs to move around.

I wonder how people will feel if we're to do the same to them, treating "equally" as what did they did to the stray dogs. If the abandonning of dogs in streets by irresponsible owners continues, the society will in turn, hate more of the stray dogs because they might stroll and find food in rubbish bins and other places. Then, the society will definitely agree to put all the stray dogs to sleep.

Another thing that should be mentioned is whether your dog is a pure breed or a mongrel, all should be spayed for the sake of avoiding some "accidents" to happen. A mongrel is no different than any other purebreed dogs. They have a life, can feel and have emotions too. The only difference is that the character of the mongrel is less predictable than the purebreed from a puppy because of the mixed genes. Other than that, mongrels will also do the same, love and care about their friends, their owners. Some are able to take care of their owners well too.

I hope there won't be any discrimination against the mongrels, and hope the society will note this.

Thank you. Frown Frown

In Reply To

silvrash
Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2006, 8:34 PM

Post #3 of 8 (1267 views)
Shortcut

yea, it true. ppl nowadays will only go like;

for purebreed/a breed they "know"/look nice 1

-wah, ur dog so cute, gimme gimme, got puppy gimme 1.

->and then maybe "some" will take good care yet most just take and say so hard to take care. go like " that dog so dumb, so bad, teach also won't listen, or wah need to spend so much money for medic/groom/food and on

-> then hardly give any attention to them..... and leave them is a mess....

for mongrel

-i ned a dog to watch house/ lately the area not so safe, got burlgar, u got dog? gimme

-> then juz leave the dog roam around, dont take care 1, or juz feed them wit some leftovers and go whinning "eh, they eat so much...". i ever seen "a lot" lock the dog "outside" the house.... meaning the dog sleep outside the gate, tie/untie even when its raining wit no shelther or house for it.... juz one row of house in the housing estate got at least 5 house do that.... and the everytime the doggies c the master, they r so excited and want to get in... but.... no they'r not let in at all, those ppl probbly though their house so "beautiful" dont wanna let them in. and i expect most of the r not vacinne or given basic medical treatment too.

-> and when the dog is sick they juz let it be.... or when they dont want it, they bring it to some far places lik industrial area, near outside town, far away from their place and leave it there... the worst is, they dont pick a better place where they can survive at, they have to pick those places with many cars & no food....

Therefore, nowadays when ppl are asking dogs from us or my parents(mostly from them), i'll say "Donno, c 1st"

or for those that i know their style, its staraight forward say "No, i dont wanna give them" bcoz ill feel guilty,if something bad happen to them.

Most ppl, especially teen and young ppl loves to "buy/get" pet bcoz, they see other ppl have and other ppl ones are so cute and pretty, or see picture/petshop ones so cute and wanna have too... without considering what it takes to keep the dog itself in its best condition....

and they have no idea at all, raising a purebreed is much much more harder than having a normal/mongrel, especially a long coat one. and also how much $$$ it might take.

therefore, to all of you ppl who are planning to get a pet, please think twice before you do. and is you do get 1, please consider how much time/energy/patient/$$$ are you willing to put into. & the cuter a pet is, the more you ned to give and work on.

Please dont let them end up in a terrible condition causing sickness and death to it, and also dont let it end up in the street. Have a pet because you love it, not because you wanna be praise and look good wit it....

Btw, mongrel is also cute, know trick(if you teach it) and ned love. its not juz for watching your house. if you just want a watch dog, then go get a real watch dog(security dog), you dont even ned to take care of it, just pay it.
www.wretch.cc/album/LilLiFashion

pewong

Mar 3, 2006, 12:13 AM

Post #4 of 8 (1255 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eevon881001] Mongrels in need of love [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right eevon, i think what we can do to help our four-legged frens is not just about feeding the strays. it's about educating the people. changing their mindset. make them see and realise that dogs regardless of breed or age or 'cuteness' they have feelings too. they'll feel pain when abandoned neglected or abused. they'll feel loved when care attention love is given.

they who asks so little from us, just food water shelter and most of all love gives so much back to us. their unconditional love devotion loyalty companionship. what more can we ask from them. we should be thankful that we are loved by them. they gives us their unwavering loyalty and devotion. how many times have you heard of man's best friend refusing to abandon their owner in trouble, or of helping their owner by running to get help. some even sacrifice their own life without hesitation just so we could live.

we have to help them by going to the source of the trouble. educate the public. i'm glad there are so man friends in this forum that share the same view as me. let's all try our best to help our four legged friends as much as we can. whether it's volunteer work or donation of food to them. if you can provide a home to the strays! too bad i stay in an apt. otherwise my house will have at least 4 dogs!
pewong

pewong

Mar 3, 2006, 12:19 AM

Post #5 of 8 (1251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [silvrash] Mongrels in need of love [In reply to] Can't Post

i think that what you're doing is right silvrash. you shouldnt give pups to people who are irresponsible. but sometimes it's difficult to know who are responsible and who's not. sometimes people that you know can be irresponsible when faced with certain difficulties.

be careful who you give the pup to. you dont want to know in future the owner has mistreated the pup that you gave. it'll be on your conscience for a long long time... make your decision who to give carefully and make sure you weigh it properly.

good luck..
pewong

luv_pipi
Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2006, 7:43 PM

Post #6 of 8 (1143 views)
Shortcut

Hi pewong, the town council has the authority to take the dogs away, whether the dogs are with tag or without. As a responsible dog owner, we should not let the dog unleashed, unattended and loitering outside our house for whatever reason.

I stay in sec 17, a place favorable for people to keep stray or dump their dogs. Why? This is a chinese area with coffee shop/kopitiam and many "kind-hearted" people who feed the stray with chicken head/feet which they can easily get it from the morning market (for free of course!!).

Examples:

My neighbout has 3 dogs, 1 mongruel and 2 pedigrees. As many dog owner did, he keeps the pedigree in the house and the mongruel outside the house, chained and lived as a stray. And my another neighbour down the road keeps at least 10 mongruels. These dogs are living, of course, outside his house and they come in pack when it is time for dinner. After the meal, they will leave the house like a big troop of soldiers. They sleep near the coffee shop, in the park, anywhere convenient. One time they shit just right in front of my house. When i question the owner why he does not keep his dog in the house. He said, these are not my dog, i am just feeding they because they look pity. There are many different type of so called "dog lover" near us which i cannot find their logic for keeping a dog???
Frown My PiPi does not have long fur Frown

Frown My PiPi does not win any awards in DoG Show Frown

Frown My PiPi is not a member of MKA Frown

Frown My PiPi does not attend obedience and agility training Frown

FrownMy pipi is a simple dog Frown

joannelim8301
Novice

May 18, 2006, 10:57 PM

Post #7 of 8 (1076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luv_pipi] Mongrels in need of love [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi...Wink

Ha ha, i agreed with u, our four legged fren have feeling & emotion. I treat them like my own ''baby'' sleep with us, go jalan jalan & go ''yam cha'' with us.

Even they will ''sad'' when we are not around, they treat us like they fren..

All they want is love & care from us..

Regards,

Joanne
Joanne Lim

luv_pipi
Enthusiast

May 19, 2006, 5:25 AM

Post #8 of 8 (1066 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joannelim8301] Mongrels in need of love [In reply to] Can't Post

yala.. love needs no pedigree.
Frown My PiPi does not have long fur Frown

Frown My PiPi does not win any awards in DoG Show Frown

Frown My PiPi is not a member of MKA Frown

Frown My PiPi does not attend obedience and agility training Frown

FrownMy pipi is a simple dog Frown

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my