Bathing issue??

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

keem
Novice

Mar 14, 2006, 9:07 PM

Post #1 of 69 (7296 views)
Shortcut
Bathing issue?? Can't Post

This is an article i got from internet.. Need your expert advice.

HOW TO BATHE A DOG PROPERLY

written by Anna Browning, Windsor Dobermans submitted by Marj Brooks, Manorie Dobermans

NOTE: "The wetter the dog, the less soap you will need for a good lather". Anna also said to dilute the soap. If you do this just about any soap will work including Joy dish detergent. The shampoo however must have the right p/h balance for dogs. I suggest that you print this out, try it and learn to bathe your dogs this way.

Here are Anna's instructions:

Many years ago, while at the Western States Veterinary Conference, I attended a lecture on Dermatology. The speaker started off by saying, " I'll bet you that most of you don't know how to bathe a dog...". Well, we all laughed, but he then piped in, "Seriously, I'll bet you that at least 90% of you are doing it wrong!". Silence came over the room as he explained. Most people bathe their dogs in warm water. This, he said, is for the owner's comfort ... not the dog's! His rules for bathing were:
  1. Bathe in tepid water -- when I say bathe in tepid water, this really means room temperature water ... NOT warm. I thought I'd clarify this as some people think that tepid means warm. If in doubt, go COLDER, not warmer.
  2. Use a hypoallergenic/PH balanced DOG shampoo
  3. Wet the dog thoroughly
  4. Dilute the shampoo before putting it on the animal
  5. Start at the head of the dog, and using ONLY your finger TIPS (NEVER the fingernails!), gently massage the dog WITH the grain of the hair... NEVER rub against the grain of the hair.
  6. Once the entire dog is properly bathed, rinse in tepid water
  7. Rinse again
  8. When you think you've rinsed enough, rinse one more time!

Other rules are:
  1. Don't over bathe (don't bathe too often... he suggested once a month if needed). <<i think this is not suitable for Msia weather
  2. If you do bathe, use an conditioning spray afterwards, such as HyLyt Bath Oil Spray to replace essential oils removed by bathing.
  3. When petting the dog, don't rub against the grain of the hair.... especially important in short haired breeds without
    undercoat!!

His theory on "bathing reactions" are:

People use warm water to wet the dog. This opens the pores. They then put shampoo on the dog, full strength,
irritating the skin. The person then "scrubs" the dog against the grain of the hair, using the fingernails to get the dog "good and clean"! This further irritates the skin. They rinse the dog, again with warm water, shoving the shampoo
into the open, irritated hair follicle. They don't rinse thoroughly enough and once the warm water stops running, and the dog starts to dry, the pores close. Now, you have an irritated hair follicle. This irritated hair follicle now becomes infected, leading to folliculitis (those little zits your dogs usually get the day after bathing!!). The owner then thinks the dog is allergic to the shampoo and has to go to the vet to get hydroxizine and prednisone to make the
bumps/pustules go away.

At the end of the lecture, the room was DEAD QUIET! Myself included. Up until that point I really didn't know how to bathe dogs!

keem
Novice

Mar 14, 2006, 9:15 PM

Post #2 of 69 (7293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [keem] Bathing issue?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyway, I have a few questions about bathing a dog...

1. Can we bath the dog at nite for an outdoor dog (My dalmation)?

2. Can we really use a human shampoo for dogs?

This is what i got from internet..

It is extremely important to use a pet shampoo, not a product made for people. While there are some products made for people that are very mild (such as baby shampoos), there is still a difference in the "pH" of the products (this is a measure of the acidity or alkalinity of the products). The pH of dog shampoo is two points different than people shampoo, which is a huge difference. Using products made for people can really dry out a dog's coat.

chrisong
Doggyman

Mar 15, 2006, 5:30 AM

Post #3 of 69 (7281 views)
Shortcut

I would like to comment of item 5. When you bath the dog. The head of the dog is the last place you bath them not start at the head first.

I think mostly experience dog owner here will know using normal/cold water to bath their dog not warm. Advantage bathing your dog using cold water can reduce your dog skin itching.

How often we need to bath out dog that will depend your dog condition. If you keep them indoor without exposing them outside 2 week once will be idea. If you keep the dog outdoor you might need to bath them 2/3 times a week. Common sense lar.

If you are not sure human shampoo can be used on dog. My silkies is the example for you to referrence lar. FYI, Alot of Reputable oversea breeders used human shampoo on their dogs.

keem
Novice

Mar 15, 2006, 8:24 AM

Post #4 of 69 (7273 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Bathing issue?? [In reply to] Can't Post

haha...thanks Chris.. I knew u'll be the 1st one who will reply this thread.. (Cos u always lepak here Sly)

Anyway, my question is..

Can we bath them at nite? will they get cold or something?? (Gum Dou in Cantonese Tongue)

Because my gf's mom dun let me bath the dog at nite as she scared the dog will get sick.. Unsure Crazy

chaiwoon

Mar 15, 2006, 8:39 AM

Post #5 of 69 (7272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Bathing issue?? [In reply to] Can't Post

i wonder whether can i use normal water to bath my shih tzu.. i use to bath him with warm water coz' i scare he might get cold if i use normal temperature water...
Head of the dog is the last part... do u mean that the head will be the last place i put shampoo and then only rinse it?
www.dogster.com/?378834

chrisong
Doggyman

Mar 16, 2006, 4:01 AM

Post #6 of 69 (7259 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chaiwoon] Bathing issue?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Our dog very healthy no need to scare they will just get SICK by bathing them cold water wherether is at day or night.

Yes you ar right. Shampoo the head last then rinse first.

khyeying
Novice

Mar 16, 2006, 11:07 AM

Post #7 of 69 (7253 views)
Shortcut

Hi, Frown I think it also depends on the dog breed right? Big dogs like GSD, Rottweilers, etc. bathes once to twice a year.. Actually, I bath my Popeye using normal tap water, but as I bath him during the night, he starts shivering. The dog might not get sick if you bath him at night, but will definitely be colder and more suffering if compare to the day (with all the warm sunshine).. Tongue Oh ya, I think it's ok to bath indoor pet dogs 1-2 times a week (for they are sleeping with you on your bed?), but in this case, the water will have to be diluted with the shampoo.. so, less shampoo and more rinsing. Oh ya, while shampooing, DON'T start rubbing your doggie's fur back & forth or circulars as most of the doggie shampoos lifts dirt and removes them when you rinses. If you rub your doggie's fur that way, you're damaging their fur while giving yourself more trouble as you are forming it to matt.

Agree Frown

Yoyo ~ my missin' Shih Tzu :((
Popeye ~ my lovely lil' Mini Schnauzer *muaks*!!!

keem
Novice

Mar 17, 2006, 8:53 AM

Post #8 of 69 (7232 views)
Shortcut
Re: [khyeying] Bathing issue?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ya lor.. I agree with KhyeYing also. Feel pity for the dogs when I see them starts shivering after the bath at nite. Hmm, I must try harder to arrange my time to bath them afternoon then..

Anyway, thanks Chris & Khyeying for all information given. Perhaps the forumers will have to chance to learn more now in stead of discussing where is the best grooming shop around. Tongue

D.I.Y roxx!!!

KeeMŽ

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 17, 2006, 8:45 PM

Post #9 of 69 (7220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [keem, All] Bathing issue?? [In reply to] Can't Post

interesting chat here about bathing issue....

juz wanted to tell u guys that i bath my dog once a month only.....

what they mean by 'bath when neccessary' mean that....when u think u need it....so is very much depends on the owner itself....

its does not depends on WEATHER of COUNTRY.....coz dogs don't SWEAT like humans....they juz pant....so they don't smell like us human after a workout.

some owners juz can't stand the doggie smell.....n they ended up bathing their dog every alternate day......

i bath my dog two weeks once without water n once a week with doggie shampoo.... if i feel that her coat hv dirt, i'll juz groom it away....n ofcoz all this is becoz i dun sleep with my dog....but nonetheless i let them in the living room....

coz the more shampoo u use, the harsher the coat will looks....n use good quality shampoo.....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Mar 17, 2006, 8:47 PM)

murgy
Novice

Mar 17, 2006, 11:18 PM

Post #10 of 69 (7211 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Bathing issue?? [In reply to] Can't Post

"i bath my dog two weeks once without water n once a week with doggie shampoo"

How to bath ur dog without water ?Crazy

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 18, 2006, 12:47 AM

Post #11 of 69 (7203 views)
Shortcut
Re: [murgy] Bathing issue?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tonguehaha....sorry ya....its without shampoo....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

mbless
K9 Kaki

Mar 18, 2006, 6:12 AM

Post #12 of 69 (7192 views)
Shortcut

I bath my dogs bout 5 - 6 weeks once....they dont smell. I use dog shampoo....n tepid water.... sometimes i will blow them dry sometimes not.... depends on the weather. But I clean their ears weekly n wipe their faces n legs daily after walks....coz they sleep with us.
Sly

c-yee
Novice

Mar 22, 2006, 1:29 AM

Post #13 of 69 (7165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mbless] Bathing issue?? [In reply to] Can't Post

adoiiiii!!!!!!! 5 to 6 weeks once ah???? u can tahan meh, some more sleep with u wor???

mbless
K9 Kaki

Mar 22, 2006, 9:07 AM

Post #14 of 69 (7152 views)
Shortcut
Re: [c-yee] Bathing issue?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hehehe....my dogs no smell .... in fact my frens said my dogs smell like pandan leaves....
I learnd tis from a fren with 5 dogs.... his house no doggie smell wor so I try on my dogs n it works n my fren also try on her dog n so far we r all very happy...
But i got to clean my dogs daily after walks.... wipe their feet n brush their hair coz sometimes they bring small twigs n dried leaves home. also after meals wipe their face lor.
But i find food also play an important role... in their body odour.

c-yee
Novice

Mar 22, 2006, 9:12 PM

Post #15 of 69 (7144 views)
Shortcut

u mean u used pandan leaves on ur dogs??? teach me!!!!!! i also want my dog to smell like pandan leaves kuih... hehehehe.....Wink

u let ur dog eat the leaves or drink the juices Crazy ??? or sleep with pandan leaves pillow Crazy???

chaiwoon

Mar 22, 2006, 9:33 PM

Post #16 of 69 (7143 views)
Shortcut

Frownmbless,
wah.. what method did u use to overcome their doggie smell??.. some more 5 - 6 weeks only bath once.. me arr, 5 days also i cannot tahan liao..
www.dogster.com/?378834

irenec
Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2006, 9:55 PM

Post #17 of 69 (7134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chaiwoon] Bathing issue?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi mbless Yes, I would like too know too! Reading your post, at one glance I thought you use pandan leaves Wink

My dog is worse than chaiwoon's! After few hours of bathing already can detect some smell Mad

mbless
K9 Kaki

Mar 23, 2006, 12:39 AM

Post #18 of 69 (7122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [c-yee, chaiwoon, irenec) Bathing issue?? [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont use pandan leaves... they smell like pandan leaves .... hehehe.
First, I change their diet.... more cook food... slowly the body smell disappear... then i start bathing them 2 weeks once, then 3 weeks once n so forth... i didnt immediately tahan till 6 weeks.... but my fren did. She told me the 1st 3 weeks she want to pengsan liao but by end of 3rd week the smell getting less n now her dog, 14yr old is not smelly like b4. If u guys really int to know.. send me yr email on my hp n i will post to u the steps to do it... k?
012 6775627 ... n hopefully u can tell me yr dog smell like pandan.... hehehe..

c-yee
Novice

Mar 23, 2006, 9:27 PM

Post #19 of 69 (7097 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mbless] [c-yee, chaiwoon, irenec) Bathing issue?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi mbless

i've have sent sms my email to ur h/p, hope to receive ur mail soon regarding pandan leaves smellLaugh

irenec
Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2006, 9:37 PM

Post #20 of 69 (7093 views)
Shortcut
Re: [c-yee] [c-yee, chaiwoon, irenec) Bathing issue?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi mbless! just sms you too. hope it works. in the meantime, should i get some pegs ready for my nose Cool

mbless
K9 Kaki

Mar 23, 2006, 9:56 PM

Post #21 of 69 (7092 views)
Shortcut

Hi will email u in a short while... let me know if it works... but it may take a while....

mbless
K9 Kaki

Mar 23, 2006, 9:58 PM

Post #22 of 69 (7089 views)
Shortcut
Re: [irenec] [c-yee, chaiwoon, irenec) Bathing issue?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hehehe... u guys sms one after another....
Mayb no need pegs... try fong yau... hahaha.
Let me know if u dont receive the email, k

c-yee
Novice

Mar 24, 2006, 6:48 PM

Post #23 of 69 (7063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mbless] [c-yee, chaiwoon, irenec) Bathing issue?? [In reply to] Can't Post

i have receive ur mail loh, thank you very much.

will try the steps u suggest but takut i malas to cook the food....

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 25, 2006, 5:15 AM

Post #24 of 69 (7048 views)
Shortcut

we do not bathe our furkids weekly. only do so when they absolitely need it.

but it helps that we groom daily especially in the case of shalom d shihtzu. for her face (she tears easily), we will wipe daily with a damn cloth.

for crackers and geri, daily quick brushing helps kepe them clean until and unless they decide to roll over geri's latest kill prize eg bird, frogs and etc etc!

mbless
K9 Kaki

Mar 28, 2006, 8:54 PM

Post #25 of 69 (7014 views)
Shortcut

Hi sent you another mail... did you receive it? Pls let me know ya...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my