car sick?

leansiangyong
New User

Feb 13, 2006, 6:00 PM

Post #1 of 4 (8519 views)
Shortcut
car sick? Can't Post

dear all.

let's make it short. i think my bobby having car sick problem. what to do? i do enjoy to be with bobby while i am driving. but he throw out some time.. so what to do?

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Feb 17, 2006, 6:27 PM

Post #2 of 4 (8485 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leansiangyong] car sick? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is he looking outside the side window when you drive? Did you feed him prior to the trip? Both could make him sick.

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Mar 26, 2006, 7:15 AM

Post #3 of 4 (8376 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leansiangyong] car sick? [In reply to] Can't Post

Something i got from google. hope this helps.

The first thing to realize when dealing with car sickness is that in 95% of cases it is stress related and not motion related. Your pet may relate a car trip with being taken away from its first home, or trips to the Vet or even worse, the Kennel. So, its not surprising that subsequent rides in a car should evoke very strong mental and subsequent physical trauma.

Re-program your pet's attitude towards travel in a car. Find a park about 5-10 minutes from home, ideally have someone else in the car too, to soothe the dog and distract him from the ride. Keep him happy all the way to the park. When at the park do all the enjoyable things that the dog loves, fetch the ball, and chase the Frisbee. The stay at the park doesn't need to be that long.... just as enjoyable as possible. Then drive the dog home soothing him all the way again and when home make just as much fuss of the dog as you did at the park. Finish the session with his meal or a treat if time and conditions permit.

Now your pet will now associate car travel with fun times.

Travel on empty. It's a good idea not to feed your pet six to eight hours before embarking on a road trip. Having an empty stomach will make him less likely to throw up, and if he does get sick, there's no food in the vomit, so at least it's easier to clean up. Giving your pet water, however, won't upset his stomach and may make him more comfortable.

Or, put in a quarter-tank. While some pets travel best on an empty stomach, others will feel more comfortable after eating a small meal. Some pets just need a little food in their stomach to help keep them from getting sick.

Take frequent rest breaks. While some pets can travel for hours without having problems, others start getting queasy after a few miles. Get to know your pet's pattern and stop at least every hour or two to take a quick walk to help your pet get his land-legs back. It's also a good idea to pour him a little water, since he may not feel like drinking when he's in the car.

Be up-front with him. There's not as much movement in the front of the car as in the back, so it might help your pet if you let him ride in the front seat, but make sure they are in a doggy seatbelt or a small kennel that buckles into the seat.

Expand his horizons. Pets, like people, are less likely to get carsick when they can watch the passing scenery.

Crank down the windows. Fresh air is good for anyone who's feeling a little carsick, including your dog or cat, but don't open the window enough so he can escape or get his head way out.

cheers,
minglmy

sbt
Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2006, 2:38 AM

Post #4 of 4 (8342 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] car sick? [In reply to] Can't Post

Minglmy, I like this advises. Very good
A Dog is for Life, Not just for Christmas

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my