Admin

Jan 12, 2006, 6:41 AM

Post #1 of 1 (28815 views)
Shortcut
NST on Malaysia K9 Day, Jan 8, 2006 Can't Post

Large Image

Microchip for dogs may be a must
NST, 9 Jan 2006

KUALA LUMPUR, Sun Microchip implants in pet dogs could become compulsory in 2008 if City Hall has its way in amending current laws over animal licensing.
“If a dog runs away, or if other individuals claim ownership of a dog that is not theirs, this is where the microchip can be enormously helpful,” said Dr Norhayati Shaari, head of City Hall’s Vector and Pests unit.

The microchip implant costs RM18, plus RM10 for the veterinarian’s service in injecting the chip. An annual RM10 licence fee will also be levied for registration purposes.

Norhayati said since the launch of the programme in April last year, 131 microchips had been inserted into dogs.Most of the dog owners who have participated were from the Internet dog community portal website, www.puppy. com.my.

Khoo Boo Gee, general manager of Hileytech Sdn Bhd, which operates the website, says that at least 50 members have signed up for the microchip plan since the launch of the programme last month.

“We have 13,500 members on our forum. Although only 50 have signed up so far, we expect the numbers to grow,” he said.

Norhayati believes that microchips offer more than just identification of stray dogs or missing pets.“In the case of dog attacks, some owners refuse to acknowledge ownership of the animal but with a microchip there will be accountability,” she said.

Norhayati and Khoo were speaking at the 3rd Malaysia K9 Day 2006, organised by puppy.com.my and sponsored by Purina PetCare (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd at Central Park, Bandar Utama today.

City Hall officially launched their dog microchipping campaign, which is expected to continue until the end of 2007.

Malaysia K9 Day was launched as an annual event by the Deputy Youth and Sports Minister in 2004.

(This post was edited by Admin on Jan 12, 2006, 6:47 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my