Home: Breed Specific: Gundog Group:
Lab - hair shedding and boarding concerns

katina
Novice

Jan 6, 2006, 7:38 PM

Post #1 of 20 (3419 views)
Shortcut
Lab - hair shedding and boarding concerns Can't Post

Hello there, I have a beautiful 2 year old female yellow lab. She is very cute and adorable and I love her to bits. She lives indoor with us and goes outdoor twice a days to ease herself and run around. She has grown to be very much a member of the family. The only problem we have is her constant and perpectual shedding. I brush her at least once a day, bath her regularly and gives her expensive dog food but her hair is still visibly seen all over my home. This is driving my hubby nuts.

Can anyone out there tell me whether it is normal for my lab to shed so much? Her skin is nice and pink and she is as healthy as can be. She rarely scratches herself. Pet store owners as well as a couple of vets that I have consulted tells me that it is quite common and not much can be done. Any of you lab owners encounter the same problem and manage to solve it? I would love to hear from you.

Also, I will be away during CNY and hope to find Trixie a nice home to stay in while I am away. Any lab lovers out there would consider looking after her for me? I would pay, of course. Many thanks

cute_doggy7
Dog Kichi

Jan 8, 2006, 5:53 AM

Post #2 of 20 (3397 views)
Shortcut
Re: [katina] Lab - hair shedding and boarding concerns [In reply to] Can't Post

according to what i've read.. Labs shed alot! my Dash's fur can also be found everywhere in my house and thats one of the reason my grandpa doesnt like staying in my house cause he's got asthma. its natural..
in memory of SNOWY
2003-2005
ENJOY HEAVEN~!!
tho we onli have 10months to be with each other but its the best..
visit my blog. mouseeyuns.blogdrive.com

katina
Novice

Jan 8, 2006, 10:51 PM

Post #3 of 20 (3385 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cute_doggy7] Lab - hair shedding and boarding concerns [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your reply but how much is a lot and how much is too much. That's my concern. She shows no sign of skin disease or anything of that sort but every time you storke her gently, you will see fur falling off. I understand they shed twice a year and that's when a lot of fur drop but what about other times? Isn't it odd that a lab's hair should drop a lot all the time? She stays in door with fan and sometimes air-con so it should not be heat.

Maybe one of you lab experts can enlighten me.

cute_doggy7
Dog Kichi

Jan 8, 2006, 11:49 PM

Post #4 of 20 (3384 views)
Shortcut

that im not sure. my Dash stays outdoors. im not sure how much is too much but i do get lil bt of fur on my hands every time i touch her. ur question makes me think twice. gosh.. i thik i need help on this too Unimpressed
in memory of SNOWY
2003-2005
ENJOY HEAVEN~!!

cute_doggy7
Dog Kichi

Jan 8, 2006, 11:53 PM

Post #5 of 20 (3383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cute_doggy7] Lab - hair shedding and boarding concerns [In reply to] Can't Post

i just check back my Lab guide book. it says,

'Labs shed more than u think. They are not a really "short-haired" breed but a medium-coated breed with a very heavy double coat. They also shed year around, not just in the spring and fall. Regular brushing and the use of a shedding blade will reduce but not eliminate this normal process.'

i hope this help.. cause im not too sure either
in memory of SNOWY
2003-2005
ENJOY HEAVEN~!!

katina
Novice

Jan 9, 2006, 5:20 PM

Post #6 of 20 (3365 views)
Shortcut

Hei there again. Thanks for writing but I was hoping for more hands-on experience from lab owners/lovers. I too read dog books, especially on labs - most of them written by foreigners. I find the weather and method of dog rearing is very different there than here. Breeders and pet shop owners here are also very different from there, if you know what I mean.

Thanks anyway.

scout
Dog Kichi

Jan 24, 2006, 6:37 AM

Post #7 of 20 (3332 views)
Shortcut

hello katina,

My Scout's fur drops a lot too. Probably just as much as your lab. Let me see... how do I define "much" here... lets say when I lightly tug at his fur, I'll probably get 5 to 15 strands off... and it's very prominent all over the house, on my socks, on my pants when he rubs past my leg...

Well, at first I thought it's his baby fur changing to adult fur (if that makes any sense)... but Scout is now 1yr 3mths old... and still shedding a lot Cool.

I found out why and a solution to minimise it...

WHY? It's because of the weather!!! The heat and humidity in M'sia makes Labs shed more than usual. As long as they don't shed in patches or that their skin is healthy, the dog's fine... (you only need to invest in a good vacuum!!). Need to look out for dandruff too...

HOW? Dandruff is easily taken care of with a good shampoo and a good scrub during weekly bath (don't bath them too often, this causes dandruff too). Shedding can be taken care of with Cod Liver Oil supplements in addition to good quality kibbles. It works... Scout was on it for a week, and the results is so prominent. Of course he still sheds, but the amount is soooo much lesser... now when i tug on his fur, only 1 to 2 strands comes out... sometimes none... try it!

from Scout's Mommy

(This post was edited by scout on Jan 24, 2006, 6:39 AM)

katina
Novice

Jan 26, 2006, 3:39 AM

Post #8 of 20 (3295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scout] Lab - hair shedding and boarding concerns [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello there!

Many thanks for your infor. May I ask if the cod liver oil you are refering to is the same kind that human consumes or can this kind only be bought at pet shops? Are they in capsules form or liquid type? Which kind/brand does your dog take? I will be away for the holidays. Will be boarding my dog for the first time. So will try it on my baby and let you know how things work out when I get back. Thanks again.

Bye and happy Chinese New Year - woof woof bow wow (in dog language - ha-ha)

Katina

scout
Dog Kichi

Jan 26, 2006, 4:23 PM

Post #9 of 20 (3289 views)
Shortcut

Happy Chinese New Year Katina!

The Cod Liver Oil which Scout's take is from Seven Seas. You can get it in the pet shop (don't think it's the same as those human eats :p). It's in a plastic bottle, with green cap.

I have seen some other brand in pet shops, but this one is more widely available, and it's fairly cheaper (i think!).

Good luck!

natasha_fernz

Jan 26, 2006, 11:37 PM

Post #10 of 20 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Hi Katina

Cleo sheds a lot too! And Grace is right is saying that it's due to the weather. Labs have a double coat which means that it's really hot for them here. As such they will shed more than labs living in England for example.

I haven't tired Cod Liver oil, but B Complex with Brewer's Yeast is pretty good. I give Cleo the same sort as humans take, she takes Blackmore's... it's fine...even the cod liver oil for humans is ok. The other thing would be a decent shampoo. I have recently switched to Hartz Oatmeal with Vitamin Beads and Cleo's coat is looking much nicer and she's shedding less... but daily brushing is a must... and besides they love being brushed, so why not? Cleo goes quite mad when I take the brush out, she'll start rolling on the floor and she gets so excited about being brushed that it has now become a bit difficult... Wink it's quite funny to watch her really.
Natasha Fernz
Frown

CLEOPATRA'S Blog:MAD ABOUT LABRADOR RETRIEVERS

natasha_fernz

Jan 27, 2006, 12:10 AM

Post #11 of 20 (3274 views)
Shortcut

Hi Yun Sin,

I just thought that you should know that labs are hypo-allergenic... that means that their fur will not cause any allergic reaction for people with asthma or sinusitis. That's why they are also the most popular service dogs cause their owners usually are either blind or have some medical problem. So eventhough they might shed alot, their fur is relatively harmless...

I've had dogs all my life and I have been allergic to all my dogs, except Cleo...!
Natasha Fernz
Frown

scout
Dog Kichi

Jan 27, 2006, 5:32 PM

Post #12 of 20 (3269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [natasha_fernz] Lab - hair shedding and boarding concerns [In reply to] Can't Post

Ohhh.. i didn't know that... my sister kept on saying that she's sneezing because of Scout's fur... now i can her!!! Hehehe...

Cherio from Grace... Scout's Mommy

In Reply To
Hi Yun Sin,

I just thought that you should know that labs are hypo-allergenic... that means that their fur will not cause any allergic reaction for people with asthma or sinusitis. That's why they are also the most popular service dogs cause their owners usually are either blind or have some medical problem. So eventhough they might shed alot, their fur is relatively harmless...

I've had dogs all my life and I have been allergic to all my dogs, except Cleo...!

natasha_fernz

Jan 27, 2006, 7:35 PM

Post #13 of 20 (3265 views)
Shortcut

Yup... that's the fantastic thing about labs... they have hypo-allergenic fur!!! I have a very bad case of sinusitis and my mom used to forbid me having the dogs in my room... My old pomeranian (she died Jan 2005) used to secretly sleep in my bed cause my mom got very angry cause I would get so sick all the time from her fur... seriously i used to get suhc bad infections it wasn't funny!

But now I have no problems with Cleo's fur at all... so she's the only dog that's allowed in my room. The other two (my mongrel and silky) can't come in though...
Natasha Fernz
Frown

scout
Dog Kichi

Jan 31, 2006, 5:09 PM

Post #14 of 20 (3238 views)
Shortcut
Re: [natasha_fernz] Lab - hair shedding and boarding concerns [In reply to] Can't Post

oh... u got sinus from Pomoranian's fur! My sister has a PomX (Tiggie) and she's always sneezing... the dog sleeps with her all the time... don't think my sister will listed to me though :p she'll probably still insist of sleeping with Tiggie and blame all her sneezing on Scout :p

In Reply To
Yup... that's the fantastic thing about labs... they have hypo-allergenic fur!!! I have a very bad case of sinusitis and my mom used to forbid me having the dogs in my room... My old pomeranian (she died Jan 2005) used to secretly sleep in my bed cause my mom got very angry cause I would get so sick all the time from her fur... seriously i used to get suhc bad infections it wasn't funny!

But now I have no problems with Cleo's fur at all... so she's the only dog that's allowed in my room. The other two (my mongrel and silky) can't come in though...

Kookee
Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2006, 11:49 PM

Post #15 of 20 (3199 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Hi Grace, Natasha,

I am still discovering and I stumbled across this one. And am I glad. Hypo-allergenic fur? Wah, that's new. By the way, Kookee is also a shedder. I supposed it's quite normal as my other dog, a mixed, Reyyee, also shed but at much lesser volume. Kookee used to have skin problem (she is allergic to certain protein) so technically, she's a vegetarian.

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

scout
Dog Kichi

Feb 6, 2006, 7:45 AM

Post #16 of 20 (3179 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kookee] Lab - hair shedding and boarding concerns [In reply to] Can't Post

U know i just realised that Scout has dandruff . But it's not obvious that's why I only noticed when I brought him to the vet and the whole exam table was full of tiny flakes plus fur (because he couldn't stop moving and jumping about).

How lar?? Vet say it's normal as long as he doesn't lose his fur in patches.. haha... i already know that lar... but now I have to change shampoo... any recommendation?

natasha_fernz

Feb 6, 2006, 10:33 PM

Post #17 of 20 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Hi Grace?

Sorry... suddenly I'm not sure what your name is cause all my previous posts to you were somehow changed by somebody to Yun Sin? So I am not sure if your name is Grace or Yun Sin or both...

Anyway Cleo had a case of skin problem at one time. She contracted it after I sent her for her first 9and last) grooming session. They weren't very careful with washing and drying her. I think they re-use towels before washing them... Anyway she got some kind of bad danddruff.... So that was when I switched her to the Hartz Oatmeal Shampoo (I think Hartz has a Dandruff shampoo too but the oatmeal one is what I like best) which helped with her shedding and dandruff... but I used the Oatmeal shampoo together with a Medicated Shampoo - Malaseb. You can get Malaseb from most pet stores or from the vet. You have to ask for it though cause it's not displayed with the normal shampoo...

What I did was shampoo her quickly with the Oatmeal Shampoo, rinse and then shampoo her again with the Oatmeal shampoo and Malaseb.... The second time I srub her really well for about 10 mins or so and then rinse off properly. It is also very important to dry labs thoroughly cause their coats are very thick... if not the danduff or whatever skin problem will just continue because of the damp fur... I actually blow dry Cleo although she doesn't like it.

Here's a short description of Malaseb:

Malaseb Shampoo is ideal for generalized or multifocal therapy of dermatitis in dogs, cats and horses. Malaseb Shampoo contains Miconazole – an antifungal with potent activity against fungi and yeast – and Chlorhexidine Gluconate – a proven antimicrobial agent active against gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. This synergistic formulation effectively removes scales, degreases the skin and kills cutaneous microorganisms that primarily or secondarily cause dermatitis. Clinical trials show Malaseb shampoo to be an effective treatment and control of Seborrheic dermatitis associated with Malassezia pachydermatitis and Staph intermedius. Malaseb shampoo is free from dyes and perfumes to reduce possible exacerbation of skin problems and its innovative surfactant base removes damaged lipids without stripping the coat. Malaseb shampoo was shown to accelerate the resolution of Microsporum Canis (ringworm), reducing the risk of transmission of the disease to other animals and to humans in contact with them.

Active Ingredients: Chlorhexidine Gluconate 2%, Miconazole Nitrate 2%
* Chlorhexadine Gluconate - Proven antimicrobial activity against
gram positive bacteria (Staphylocococcus) and gram negative bacteria
* Miconazole Nitrate - An Imadazole antifungal with potent activity against
gram positve bacteria, fungi and yeast, including Malassezia pachydermatis
and Microsporum and Trichphyton ringworm species.

Malaseb Shampoo 8 oz Bottle: Best Price: $14.98 Buy It!

Malaseb Shampoo 12 oz Bottle: Best Price: $18.89 Buy It!

Malaseb Shampoo 1 gal Bottle: Best Price: $119.89 Buy It!

Directions: wet coat thoroughly with water. apply and lather shampoo over the entire body allowing 10 minutes of contact time. Ensure that Malaseb shampoo is applied around the lips, under the tail and between the toes as these areas harbor causative organisms.rinse completely with water. repeat twice weekly until symptoms subside then weekly. for topical use only.

Natasha Fernz
Frown

scout
Dog Kichi

Feb 7, 2006, 4:19 PM

Post #18 of 20 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Hello Natasha of Cleo Smile,

I am Grace, Scout's Mommy... definitly not Yun Sin Tongue kekeke... Nice meeting you. Seen your blog, love your dog, love your post.

Thanks for the shampoo advice. I'll definitly go check out the brands and perhaps grab one for Scout.

Oh... Scout hates to be blow dried as well. He will try to bite the hairdryer... just like how he run after the vaccuum cleaner!! Hehehe... Thanks again!

katina
Novice

Feb 9, 2006, 7:48 PM

Post #19 of 20 (3127 views)
Shortcut

Dear Natasha

Thanks for infor. Sorry for late reply. Been away.

Katina

natasha_fernz

Feb 10, 2006, 7:03 PM

Post #20 of 20 (3110 views)
Shortcut

Hello Grace

Hmmm I'm really not sure why your name was changed to Yun Sin in all my posts... I most certainly didn't do it... oh well never mind... Anyway hope Scout's skin condition gets better cause it must be quite uncomfortable for him too cause he'll probably be itching...

I'm glad you liked the blogs and photos! Wink

Oh and we must try to let Cleo and Scout meet. I'm sure they'll have a grand time playing together... But it'll have to wait for a few more weeks cause Cleo was a naughty girl this week. She accidentally broke a porcelaine jar, and now she has a big cut on her right foot! so she can't run...

Take care then...
Natasha Fernz
Frown

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my