Puppy-no signal before pee/poo.. why?

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Jan 5, 2006, 8:21 PM

Post #1 of 14 (2116 views)
Shortcut
Puppy-no signal before pee/poo.. why? Can't Post

SmileHI all,

I am trying to toilet train my 5 month old pup. however, often fail to catch him in time because he shows no signal (sniffing, rounding) before he pee and poo... is this normal??

This is also making it hard to toilet train him and the only thing we can do is to put him back into his cage every hour or so to do his business.

HELP!
Frown Dogs... God's greatest gift Frown

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jan 5, 2006, 11:51 PM

Post #2 of 14 (2100 views)
Shortcut
Re: [catchuah] Puppy-no signal before pee/poo.. why? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Cat,

where did you get this puppy from? Do you know how old he was when he left the litterbox? Does he soil his sleeping place as well? Does he dirty himself with it? Need a little more input for any suggestion.

chrisong
Doggyman

Jan 6, 2006, 12:55 AM

Post #3 of 14 (2093 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Decide where you want the pup to pee&poo. After every meal put him/her to the place you need them to do their business. Usually dogs will pee&poo after each meal. Be consistent with this training & be patient. Sooner or later he/she will know.

Good LuckWink

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Jan 6, 2006, 1:51 AM

Post #4 of 14 (2083 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Puppy-no signal before pee/poo.. why? [In reply to] Can't Post

hieeelllooo...

thanks for your info. i hope ur tips help. it usually take a while for Happie to digest his food. but sometimes, it take him half a day to output his food! arrgghh... sometimes i sit there.. wait .. wait.. wait..

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Jan 6, 2006, 1:54 AM

Post #5 of 14 (2083 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Puppy-no signal before pee/poo.. why? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Joe...

got Happie when he was 3 months. not sure when he left the litterbox. but no, he dont mess with his 'output' but when he is in the cage.. he will jump up and down when he is happy to see us home, that will cause him to step on his poo.. that's all the mess he do.

Thanks in advance for ur help.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jan 6, 2006, 5:30 PM

Post #6 of 14 (2080 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cat, then you have to work from there. Normally, a puppy will do his business once he awakes in the morning, after meal (about 30 minutes later) and it is a good advise to take him for business just before retiring at night. Depends on your feeding schedule, you might have to take the puppy in between feedings as well. Rule of thumb, a puppy needs to release about 10 times a day. If you have a place where he should do his pee & poop then take him to this place and hope for the best (wait and do NOT play - it is business time and not playtime). Once he is doing give him the command word for it. Make sure that is NOT a word that you would use in normal conversation, otherwise you might be in for a dirty surprise in his later life. Sly When he finished his business, praise him as like as you did strike the lottery. He will wonder why but soon take advantage of it. Easy to get praise for doing something so normal and so easy. When he is starting doing it at the wrong location you have to show that you are upset (grumpy NO) and carry him straight to the right spot. Don’t forget to praise him, when he finishes his business there. I know, sounds troublesome but it works within a couple of days for most puppies. Good luck.

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Jan 6, 2006, 6:18 PM

Post #7 of 14 (2077 views)
Shortcut

hi Joe...

Thanks for ur great info again.

Happie is usually in his cage during daytime when i am at work (Not anymore coz he is with my parents now) and when he is in there, no choice for him but to do all his business in there till i return from work. Not only I have limited chance to train him but it is even harder when I am unable to catch him IN TIME.

any idea why some dogs dont show the usual signal (sniffing) before they pee/poo? is it because they are from petshop?

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jan 6, 2006, 7:15 PM

Post #8 of 14 (2073 views)
Shortcut

YES, I think so. The puppies sold at petshops are usually from puppymills and taken away from the litterbox to young; hence, have no clue how to behave normally. They never had a chance to go to a toilet area since they spend most of their life in the petshop’s show cages. Never had a need to smell for the correct toilet area, since the whole cage did smell the same. You could try to make life a little easier for him and select a huge cage so that one corner might be dedicated to be the toilet (put a newspaper with his poop on it under the chosen corner of the cage). Don’t forget to clean the mess at all wrong spots (use the special designed cleaner to ensure not one trace of smell left behind) carefully. Do not bet that he will get the idea since he never learnt that. Maybe your parents can train your puppy, since he might have the chance to roam freely there? On the other hand, you could take a few days off or use the upcoming CNY holidays to train your puppy. I know that it isn’t easy but even when you do not catch him in time, but catching him while doing it, is OK too. Remember that punishment will NOT work and that dogs can’t relate your scolding to earlier activities. So do not waste your time and breath scolding him. Quite the opposite, clean the wrong spots quietly and if possible without him seeing it or getting special attention thru it; thus, without any chance to get it imprinted into his memory. Make a big fuss when he is doing it right to get this experience imprinted into his memory and you will be on the road to success. Good luck.

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Jan 6, 2006, 7:56 PM

Post #9 of 14 (2069 views)
Shortcut

hey...

wow .. u are really SIFU ... THanks! *SALUTE*

u mean, catch him while doing it.. put him on the correct spot or let him finish his business only scold him? this i am quite confused.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jan 6, 2006, 9:48 PM

Post #10 of 14 (2063 views)
Shortcut

TQ for the flowers. To make my notes clearer: 1. don’t waste time with scolding when you find some pee or poop in the house. Just clean up. 2. when you see he plans to make his pee (looks like he wants to sit down) or poop (looks like a hunchback) then they clearly and very upset NO and carry him quickly to the correct spot. Give the command for pee & poop and wait. If he does it, then praise a lot, guide him back into the house and continue with your activities. 3. when he is doing it already then follow point #2, but beware of droplets. Try to be fast enough so that something is left to be finished on the right spot. Additionally, make sure that you clean the whole “trail of droplets” carefully. Additionally, do not confuse your dog with scolding and/or praising at the wrong time. A puppy can’t control; hence, you can’t make him walk to the right spot. He would release himself while walking. He might not like the spot and/or is playful. Do not entertain that (a grumpy NO should suffice). You mean business and business only. The toilet area is not for playing and you are not there to play either.

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Jan 6, 2006, 9:57 PM

Post #11 of 14 (2059 views)
Shortcut

Joe...

Thanks again.

Yes, i tried to catch him when i see him with the hunchback before he poo.. but when i said NO and then carry him to the right spot... it killed its urge to poo... Unsure as and for pee, i shout NO and carry him to the place.. he wil end up peeing all the way from the wrong spot to the correct spot.

HEADACHE.Crazy

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jan 7, 2006, 12:00 AM

Post #12 of 14 (2051 views)
Shortcut

LaughLaugh That’s the way how it starts. He is at first completely puzzled about the interruption and needs a while to adjust. We stood stubbornly for over 30 minutes until the puppy got back his senses and felt the urge to poop. The following business trip needed less time to do the poop. You have to be more stubborn then your puppy. Wink The peeing is more difficult since it involves a lot of cleaning but you could try to the following. Give him lots to drink and go to the toilet area after that. The puppy might do his business within 30 minutes.

pinstripes
Novice

Jan 16, 2006, 11:47 PM

Post #13 of 14 (1991 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Joe...

Thanks again.

Yes, i tried to catch him when i see him with the hunchback before he poo.. but when i said NO and then carry him to the right spot... it killed its urge to poo... Unsure as and for pee, i shout NO and carry him to the place.. he wil end up peeing all the way from the wrong spot to the correct spot.

HEADACHE.Crazy

Never say NO or move/startle the dog when it is doing it's business.

When you tell him a firm "NO" when not going at a designated spot, you are giving the puppy a wrong message.
The puppy is understanding, "my owner is yelling at me whenever I go pee/poo.
Saying no will only put you further from achieving your goal. You will only make it hesitant to do it's business in front of you or people, he will think, doing his business is a bad thing.

Giving confidence to a dog is the KEY to all training.

When the puppy accidentally poo/pee at wrong spots:

1. Never yell at the dog: Simply say nothing, place a newspaper on his pee/poo and let him smell it without your help(don't worry, he will definitely come to smell).
Once he has done so, just clean up the spot as if nothing is wrong without creating any fuss.

2. ALWAYS praise the dog when he does his business at the right spot. Tell him "good boy." many times.
This is only effective when you catch him in action. The puppy will become confident and will in time develop a healthy system.

3. Always say "pee" or "poo" when you see him in action as well. This way, when he is bigger, he is able to correlate your words to his action and will understand what you want him to do when you need him to go.

4. I have a ACS as well. ACS will NEVER, NEVER want to do his business where he sleeps and rest(although this goes for all dogs). Using a Crate to housekeep a dog is the best solution.

5. Start off with alot of newspaper and in time make the space smaller and smaller. If you wish to to have him pee at a certain spot. Move the newpaper(to where he mostly pees currently) slight each day bit by bit until the designated spot.

All puppies are bound to cause accidents, even when they are no longer a puppy. So don't give up. Eventually they will learn and adapt.

Also, daily walks will definitely help the dog housebreak faster. My ACS will hold his until it is time to go for a walk.

Also, to first time dog owners, please do not confuse all peeing is having to do his business.
Sometime, the dog is merely marking his territory(new environment, new item in house, etc). Just don't give up on the dog, that the worst anyone can do to the dog.

cyling
Dog Kichi

May 7, 2006, 7:44 PM

Post #14 of 14 (1646 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinstripes] Puppy-no signal before pee/poo.. why? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to add another pee n poo signal I observed with my hero boy. Besides the pee n poo postition (look like sit down and hunchback) and sniffing all over the place, Hero will :-
1) Stand still and not reacting to your command or treats. He looks like "blur blur" and show no interest to the treats or toy even if they are in front of him.
2) He will "dig" the floor as if the tiles are the sand.
3) For poo poo, he will make some noise like crying "yee-yee" sound.

Well, sometimes Hero also din show any signal, just walk walk then suddenly stop and pee.

Some rare and bad experience to share:-
1) Hero peed when he was sitting !
2) Hero once peed when he was laying down and his whole tummy wet wet liao.. he so lazy !

Visit Hero and Casper's Blog

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my