GSD Front Leg Problem

SeanYoung
Dog Kichi

Dec 16, 2005, 8:36 AM

Post #1 of 17 (16599 views)
Shortcut
GSD Front Leg Problem Can't Post

Dear all,

I wish to get some advice on my 10 months old GSD. I've been posting this problem at Pastoral Group section and seems not many responded (only 1 person). It has been 1 week since my GSD is walking on 3 legs. The front left leg was bent, I'm not sure how he injured himself. I brought to the vet and the vet just touch and said, it's ok and no problem at all. he gave anti-inflammatory injection and pills for few days. My GSD is very active, even with 3 legs, he can still jump on me everytime and can still run around on 3 legs. The front left leg will be lifted up everytime. I checked to see if there's anything that poke his paw but couldn't find anything. The legs are not swollen (according to vet, if swollen means bone broken etc).

What I'm worried is:

1. Is the ligament torn and can it be treated to become normal again?

2. How long does it take to heal? Vet said 6 weeks which I don't believe him. I was thinking to bring him to another vet.

Has anyone experience this problem with his/her dog? Please advise, I'm getting very worried as I feel very sad if I look at my GSD walk on 3 legs. It hurts emotionally to myself and my family members.

Please kindly advise.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Dec 16, 2005, 6:58 PM

Post #2 of 17 (16595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SeanYoung] GSD Front Leg Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Your feeling is right. See another vet!! If nothing is broken and no wound to find then your dog could have a joint problem. He could have strained his leg while he tried to jump or simply did fall over the drain, flower pot, etc. while running around. What would worry me is the fact that he refuses to use his leg at all. Dogs can take a lot of pain and would rather limb a little then to lift the leg completely. How does he react when you touch the leg? When you massage it? Any spot more sensitive then others? If yes, where?

coffee

Dec 18, 2005, 11:38 PM

Post #3 of 17 (16580 views)
Shortcut

Can your dog bear weight on the limping leg. Limping can be divided into Weight bearing lameness and non weight bearing lameness. Any swelling, warmth, pain on the leg or joints? Check the paw for wound, cut, abrasion?

Beside HD, one condition commonly seen in GSD is elbow dysplasia. Can be very difficult to diagnosed and picked up from the X-ray. A few places can go wrong in the elbow, anconeal process and medial coronoid process. Both commonly seen in premature dog who is too active, jumping, sharp turn...

Shoulder joint is another place to look at. Osteochondritis can occur in premature dog at shoulder joint where damage to the cartilage cause flapping of cartilage and joint mice. Painful.

SeanYoung
Dog Kichi

Dec 19, 2005, 8:17 AM

Post #4 of 17 (16575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coffee] GSD Front Leg Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for replying.

I've brought it to another vet and did some x-ray and it costs me RM500 plus. There seems to be no elbow dyplesia. No broken bones. The vet showed me the x-ray. It seems to have a little bone crist on the bone where the paw joint the elbow. The vet do not know how to deal with it and mentioned that he has sent it to the universiti for further advice. Right now, my puppy is still walking on 3 legs. Vet only gave antibiotic and pain killer. I saw my puppy getting worst on his leg. Still lifting it up. Right now, i feed him raw eggs, pure cod liver oil, brocolli, raw meat, calcium pill and SNE. I hope things will get better. The vet ask me to return on the 5 day to see how the puppy will be.

I'm spending a lot but get nothing except wait for advice from universiti. Not sure what I should do now. There don't seem to be ligament problems or broken bones. NO sign of ED. What else could ti be? I tried to touch it, he did felt the pain.

Help.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Dec 19, 2005, 8:13 PM

Post #5 of 17 (16568 views)
Shortcut

Well, lets look at the bright side, nothing broken. Now, you have to do some homework to avoid hefty vet bills. First, try to examine on your own. Make him stand in front of you and slowly massage the whole leg. Watch his ears and his breathing. Can he stand on this leg? Does he tries to keep it up? Which part of the leg he shows pain? Does his breathing changes while you massage? If yes, when and where? Repeat the same when he is lying down. Any difference in reaction to the treatment? Cut down on the supplement you are giving, especially the calcium might do more harm then good. Give him genuine barf diet and slowly introduce one supplement at the time. I would recommend to add on the following 3 to 4 times a week only (but NOT to the RMB): 500 g of vitamin C, 100 mg multi-B vitamin complex, teaspoon kelp powder, teaspoon alfalfa powder, 500 mg fish body oil, tablespoon flaxseed oil, teaspoon cod liver oil, tablespoon unsulphured blackstrap molasses. RMB should be chicken necks and any other RMB should be tried out slowly and in stages. All veggie meals should be mixed with half a can of can fish (sardine) and one egg. Muscle meat should be mixed with one egg and twice a month including the shell. Organ meat should be mixed with three tablespoons of calf’s liver and one egg.

SeanYoung
Dog Kichi

Dec 20, 2005, 7:05 AM

Post #6 of 17 (16565 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] GSD Front Leg Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your prompt reply. In terms of massaging his legs. Two things I observed.

First, while he was eating, I tried to massage his leg. He avoided and keep moving away while circling the food bowl. Second, I did massage his leg while he lie down. He just keep quiet enjoying my massage. He didn't seems to groan or feel pain. But he still limps. I'm not sure if the pain killer has started to take effects that cause him not to pain but still probably not strong enough for him to take the pain while he is walking or standing. This I'm not sure.

I've been trying to walk him slowly this few days. As you said, that we worry that he may not want to use the leg at all. The vet mentioned that if long time no use the leg, the muscles tend to tighten up and it will get worst. That's why every dog must be walked. Not sure whether I should keep walking him so that he can exercise his muscles.

Although he limbs, he still very active and has good appetite. Everything I gave him, he finish it.

Regarding the BARF, I'm quite interested but I don't really get what the ingredients that you mentioned to me coz I'm not a cook. Maybe you can put into more simpler terms. What is RMB and does the meat need to be cooked?

Are there any website you recommend to read up about BARF?

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Dec 20, 2005, 5:48 PM

Post #7 of 17 (16561 views)
Shortcut

OK, that sounds promising. Walk him for just a short distance, 500 m are good enough. Walk slowly and do not force, but you could repeat that several times a day. It would be beneficial when he could go for a swim, since swimming does not put any stress on the joints.RMB stands for raw meaty bones and raw means exactly that – no cooking required. I am not a cook either. Wink You could find many postings related to BARF diet within our forum and lots more on the internet – just look for BARF diet and you will find a wealth of information. I recommend to feed twice a day, especially here in Malaysia. The portions are smaller and easier to digest in this hot weather. Feed RMB every morning and every second evening. Alternate between veggie meals (green leave veggies are preferred but most others are OK too), muscle meat and offal for the remaining evening meals. I provide some supplements to those non-RMB meals to compensate for any potential shortfall in balancing the food. It works and did work for my dogs. Please note that you have to prepare the veggies for your dog, since dogs do not have the enzymes to digest veggies. Simply use a blender to break the cellulose. That is the only “cooking” job you have to do when feeding BARF diet.

SeanYoung
Dog Kichi

Dec 20, 2005, 6:12 PM

Post #8 of 17 (16558 views)
Shortcut

Joe,

How long you think it will be continue to limp? Should i return to the vet. I guess it will be another RM500 for diagnosis. Or should I just the pup heals naturally? I don't mind paying if it's good. So far, I didn't get any results and i think it's a waste of money and vet is smiling happily with the charges. I love my dog and will give him the best to my ability.

Between, do you have window messenger account?

Are your's a belgian dog? My friend got a pair from Russia. Looks huge size.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Dec 20, 2005, 7:31 PM

Post #9 of 17 (16554 views)
Shortcut

Difficult to say. I do not know your dog and healing depends on a variety of things, e.g. degree of inflammation. Generally, inflammation takes time and heals slowly. You could continue with the pain killer or look for some natural remedies instead. My dog is a Leonberger and has 53 Kg.

coffee

Dec 20, 2005, 10:14 PM

Post #10 of 17 (16549 views)
Shortcut

Can you remember which joint is it? Elbow joint or the wrist? Have you been palying with your dog before this, sharp turn? It can contribute to very minute chip fracture, avulsion which is very painful? You think you can show here the X-ray?

Pain killer normally take effect in a few hours. You should see the effect overnight.

SeanYoung
Dog Kichi

Dec 21, 2005, 12:10 AM

Post #11 of 17 (16545 views)
Shortcut

The vet said he sent the image to UPM. I've to check with him to get it back. The joint from the elbow to the wrist dark line on the bone. Suspect bone crist. Doesn't seem to see any ligament torn. But vet said, could be coz need to confirm by ultra sound. He has been 13 days today that he is still limping. On a few days anti inflammatory pills and pain killer. Yet still walking on 3 legs. I'll try to get it scan as soon as possible to publish here if I could get from him.

between, are u a vet? any suggestion what i should do now? coz, the vet said must finish the 5 days antibiotic and anti inflammatory pill. if not getting better, than need to see him again. wat i worried is that it takes too long - most cases if fast, can heal faster and no permanent damage. my problem is it is hard to get good vet in my kampung here.

Thanks.

coffee

Dec 21, 2005, 7:24 PM

Post #12 of 17 (16542 views)
Shortcut

Where is your location? PM me the vet you went to for X-ray. I am not sure what you describe from the X-ray. Generally dark line on the bone means less density area. Could be joint space, growth plate, fracture...

SeanYoung
Dog Kichi

Dec 28, 2005, 11:05 PM

Post #13 of 17 (16511 views)
Shortcut

Dear all,

yes, my puppy can walk already but he when he stand, he will lift his left leg again. Walking seems ok and not limping. But i think it's getting better. maybe the lifting leg is a habit now coz he has been feeling the pain the last 2 weeks. currently, i'm feeding him glucosamine and I think it works for him.

Another thing i need to tackle is the ticks problems.

coffee

Dec 31, 2005, 9:01 PM

Post #14 of 17 (16480 views)
Shortcut

Glad to hear that your GSD is alright now. Just go to any vet clinic for tick control and ask for pros and cons of every products.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jan 9, 2006, 9:21 PM

Post #15 of 17 (16438 views)
Shortcut

Hi, could you solve the tick problem already? If you are worried about the commercial products and medications then try out giving raw garlic mixed into the food. Another good idea is to rinse the dog after bathing with a solution of ACV (1 cup) in 1 bucket of water. This ensures that all the soap residue is removed, helps to maintain the a good pH-level of the skin and is surely not liked by ticks and fleas.

SeanYoung
Dog Kichi

Jan 10, 2006, 2:00 AM

Post #16 of 17 (16429 views)
Shortcut

I use frontline but very costly. However, it is very effective. Using garlic is very interesting coz i prefer to use natural ways. Will try to do that. between, what is ACV?

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jan 11, 2006, 8:37 PM

Post #17 of 17 (16409 views)
Shortcut

ACV stands for apple cider vinegar.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my