Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
My dog attack new comer in the house

jesslynlim
Novice

Nov 23, 2005, 7:58 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1490 views)
Shortcut
My dog attack new comer in the house Can't Post

Frown My dog is a mixed spitz, he is one year old now. I have send him for neuter last two months.

During day time, we always keep our dog in the toilet as we are staying in an apartment. Last night, my nephew come to our house. She is sitting at the dining table when we release my dog to the dining place. Once we open the door, my dog ran to the girl and bite her. No even barking at her. My dog do not response to our screening at all.

My nephew was injured (2 holes), bited by him on her hand. This is the first incident that he attack. I feel so sad now and don't know what I should do.

My dog was acting unfriendly to strangers all the time. But I can't understand why his attitude turn up so badly.

What should I do?????Frown

PSY
K9 Kaki

Nov 23, 2005, 8:53 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1481 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jesslynlim] My dog attack new comer in the house [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi jesslynlim,

Sorry to read your posting, it very sad to read of your dog's behaviour. In a case of this sort I know a fair few friends, they would just put the dog down but again these are people who goes for comformity shows.

Still not very certain about your dog, if he goes for everyone then you should try taking him out to meet people friends at a nuetral place for him. First get a very good friend who knows of your dog's problem, initially meet up and just make it sit while you have a conversation with your friend and watch what it does, and if it shows aggression, correct it instantly with a thug and command "NO" and then see what happen next. If it works you have to keep doing it for a while before you do it at the apartment. Again, if it does go well, at the apartment when the door bell goes, again on a leash, make it sit before opening the door, then greed your guest and see.

Do remember, dogs have very short term memory so you need to do it all the time until it is second nature to him. Please also use a choke collar during this training stint. the normal belt type collar is useless only for cosmetic purposes. If your dog does well always praise it with either treats or really good pat, make it an issue so it realise it has done well.

If you are also scared of your dog that is if it growls at you when you reprimand it, then you better get someone else to do this training.

Sorry, but this is the best I can do for you and good luck.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Nov 25, 2005, 8:29 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1455 views)
Shortcut

Without knowing your dog, I would estimate two things: First, that he got frustrated being excluded from the pack (your family) and secondly that he was never socialized.If I concluded correctly then the matter needs minor changes to resolve. Socialize your dog in as many places as possible and meet as many people, animals as possible. Keep him on leash all the time and hold him in tight control. Make him SIT when you meet people. Praise when he obeys ( he sits and you can meet people without his interference) and give a clear NO when not. He has to learn that you are the alpha of the pack and when you accept any visitor then he has to respect your decision. To include the dog into your daily life might be more difficult for you but please understand that a dog is a pack animal and has a very strong need of being part of the family. In observing you, he will learn the daily routine and doing observations keeps his brain busy; hence, he is less likely to get bored, disturbed or to become a nuisance and/or liability.

jesslynlim
Novice

Nov 25, 2005, 8:49 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] My dog attack new comer in the house [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you very much for the advices given. It seen like there is a solution. I feel much more better now.

I am at Penang now, is there any training class being conducted at Penang?

Thanks very much.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Nov 25, 2005, 9:20 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1442 views)
Shortcut

You are most welcome. I hope that it will work out for you and your doggie. Sorry, I am at the other end of Malaysia – in JB.

mypetdog
Novice

Nov 25, 2005, 9:48 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1434 views)
Shortcut

hello ms jessylynlim,

try locking yourself in the toilet for god-know-when, see you go koo-koo up there or not. please be a little bit more reponsible. training is not the only solution. spend more time with your dog and do have a proper place if you wish to confine your dog. NOT IN THE TOILET!!

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Dec 30, 2005, 2:29 AM

Post #7 of 7 (1367 views)
Shortcut

hello there jessy

how is ur furkid doing? i know this post has been here long time ago. i am browsing thru old posts hoping to learn something... never know when they can be helpful. and i saw yours and i cant help but to ask u... just out of curiousity, why did you keep your furkid in the toilet? space problem? how big is ur toilet?

i keep my Happie in the cage, quite a big one, during day time and i feel reallyX100000000 bad...

hope u have found a much better place to keep ur dog Wink
Frown Dogs... God's greatest gift Frown

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my