IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Eye Care and Conditions:
Cherry Eye

mousechee

Nov 10, 2005, 8:41 PM

Post #1 of 8 (10490 views)
Shortcut
Cherry Eye Can't Post

Tommy has a cherry eye on the left. Brought him to my regular vet this morning and he was given a jab and 5 days course of medications.

There are two vets there, so I shall refer them as Senior and Junior.

Senior Vet is on holiday, leaving only Junior vet around, whom attended to Tommy.

I understand that medications will not solve the cherry eye problem. I was told by Junior Vet that Senior Vet only do Removal Surgery.

I had surfed around the net and read a lot about these two options

1)Removal Of Gland

2)Replacing/Tacking of the gland.

I understand the pro and cons of these two options. I would like to know whether it is a common practice for vets in Malaysia to do removal only or is it just my vet.

Does anybody have any experience regarding this? Had anybody had their furkid's cherry eye removed? I would like to learn more before I send Tommy for the surgery and understand better rather than having regrets later on.

Price for the removal surgery including an e-collar cost $270 btw.

Thanks in advance.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2005, 10:59 PM

Post #2 of 8 (10487 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mousechee] Cherry Eye [In reply to] Can't Post

I heard normally removed.....

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

mousechee

Nov 10, 2005, 11:20 PM

Post #3 of 8 (10483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Cherry Eye [In reply to] Can't Post

had checked with another vet. she also do removal only.

thanks for the reply

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Nov 11, 2005, 12:50 AM

Post #4 of 8 (10477 views)
Shortcut

Oh... I think very normal here loh.... You can check UPM also... maybe they got alternative....

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

mousechee

Nov 11, 2005, 6:32 AM

Post #5 of 8 (10471 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Cherry Eye [In reply to] Can't Post

inconvenient for me to go to UPM. Prefer to do it here in Ipoh. Easier for follow-ups too. Thanks anyway.

coffee

Nov 14, 2005, 9:43 PM

Post #6 of 8 (10456 views)
Shortcut

Never do the removal, you will regret it. May folve the problem for now but later on you dog will suffer and you end up spend a lot of money on eye drop and medication.

It is true surgical correction by tucking the gland can prolapsed again but that is a better alternative.

mousechee

Mar 25, 2006, 3:54 AM

Post #7 of 8 (10115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coffee] Cherry Eye [In reply to] Can't Post

hello coffee,

thank you for replying. my apology for my late reply. My Tommy had a removal done in November last year. A replacement was my first choice. I had asked around Ipoh and 3 vets here told me they only do removal.

Tommy is doing fine. He is now with my mom. We are keeping note, knowing the fact that he may develop dry eye later in life. We are already mentally prepared with having to give him eyedrops daily.

once again, thanks.

doghelper
New User

Jul 1, 2006, 8:42 AM

Post #8 of 8 (9985 views)
Shortcut

Cherry eyes should never be removed - this will invariably lead to chronic 'dry eye' or KCS (keratoconjunctivitis sicca). Ask any veterinary ophthalmologist...

Cherry eye repairs if performed properly, will still allow adequate tear flow in future and rarely need a repeat surgery.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my