Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Dominant Dog Issues:
How to make my current dog accept a new dog in the family?

egnck
Dog Kichi

Nov 10, 2005, 8:26 PM

Post #1 of 12 (14837 views)
Shortcut
How to make my current dog accept a new dog in the family? Can't Post

Hi,

I currently have a dog who is a mongrile and she is very jealous dog. She has been with us for 11 years already. At the moment i am planning to get another dog most probably a puppy and i would like to know how can i make my current accept a new puppy in the family? I am affraid that my current dog mite bite the puppy. Please advise me on ways or technique that i can overcome this problem.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Nov 10, 2005, 9:25 PM

Post #2 of 12 (14831 views)
Shortcut
Re: [egnck] How to make my current dog accept a new dog in the family? [In reply to] Can't Post

No problem when it is a puppy. Naturally, an old dog would not attack a puppy.

Hold the puppy in your arm. I would preferably try this in the garden. Kneel down while holding the puppy, speak permanently in a soothing happy tone. Call your old dog to you and let your old dog smell the backside of your puppy. This is the “formal” way of introduction and with holding the puppy (like a baby around his ribcage under the front legs and facing you) this way, it is less stressful for the puppy and easy to smell for your old dog. Watch your old dog and the moment he relaxes, release the puppy and let them get to know each other and play for a while.

egnck
Dog Kichi

Nov 10, 2005, 11:08 PM

Post #3 of 12 (14828 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] How to make my current dog accept a new dog in the family? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok Thanks for the advice. But what if my dog gets abit jealous and starts to bark at the puppy or wat if she trys to bite the puppy??? i am just worried....

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Nov 11, 2005, 7:15 PM

Post #4 of 12 (14822 views)
Shortcut
Re: [egnck] How to make my current dog accept a new dog in the family? [In reply to] Can't Post

As I mentioned before, it is not very likely. In nature, when puppies are born to the pack, no difficulties at all, right? However, you have to monitor the progress and watch your old dog when introducing the puppy. Normally, if you follow my method then it should be safe and nothing will happen. If your old dog growls then show who is the alpha! Say NO and wait a moment. Praise for being obedient and start all over again. Repeat until he accepts the new member.

egnck
Dog Kichi

Nov 11, 2005, 10:32 PM

Post #5 of 12 (14821 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] How to make my current dog accept a new dog in the family? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok i will keep your method in mind untill i get a new puppy. Anyway what breed do you own???

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Nov 14, 2005, 6:31 PM

Post #6 of 12 (14810 views)
Shortcut

The dog I own is the same then the dog in the avatar – a Leonberger, which is a German breed, named after the city of Leonberg and supposed to be a resemblance of the lion in the city’s crest.

petspeople
Novice

Dec 8, 2005, 1:16 AM

Post #7 of 12 (14735 views)
Shortcut

Dogs both domestic and wild live within a system of rank. Therefore it is advisable that you remember to always treat the more dominant dog with more attention and respect than the other dog. Actions you do to make the dominant dog feel as second best will ensure that it occassionally bullys the other dog into submission to feel superior. There is no way around this, its just the way nature intended.

Age does not always play a part in determining which is the more dominant dog. Usually its the dog that is bigger that will take the dominant role.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Dec 9, 2005, 4:54 PM

Post #8 of 12 (14709 views)
Shortcut
Re: [petspeople] How to make my current dog accept a new dog in the family? [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear friend, if you would haven taken your time to read all the postings then you would have noticed that I did explain the hierarchy and the way to deal with it. By the way, I am the alpha in my pack and I decide on the ranking, not some larger sized dogs.

sbt
Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2006, 2:46 AM

Post #9 of 12 (14497 views)
Shortcut

Hi Egnck,

Don't worry about the bark. It could be a bark of excitment or acceptance.

Bark
Gather together, there maybe something we should be looking into...
---Rapid strings of three or four barks in a mid-range pitch with pauses in between.

Danger is very close
---Continuous Barking which is a bit slower and lower in pitch.

Hello there - I see you buddy :)
---one or two short sharp barks in a high or mid-range pitch spoken quietly.

Stop that and Back off!!!
---Single, Short, Loud and Sharp bark in a high pitch.

Lets play :)
---Stutter-bark (ar-rufff).

I'm upset and will fight if pushed. Pack mates rally round and protect me for defence.
---Growl-Bark, low Pitched (Grrrr-ruff)

I got it From here: http://www.living-spring.com/Dog%20Communication.htm
A Dog is for Life, Not just for Christmas

briance59
Novice

Nov 12, 2007, 8:25 AM

Post #10 of 12 (13655 views)
Shortcut

Joe,

Thanks & I'll try to work on it.

Chelsea

zen
Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2007, 10:35 PM

Post #11 of 12 (13077 views)
Shortcut

Hey, I just got a new pup too and I will be introducing to my 1st dog this weekend. I have the same worried too as my 1st dog is only 1 & 1/2 yrs old, we spoilt him by over pampered him...he always got jealous when I pet or close to other dog......hopefully he can accepte this lil baby bro.

so good luck to you & me. Wink

FrownBen@Benjamin, my baby boy.Frown

The cross breed with the most amazing eyes.
http://www.colliebenjamin.blogspot.com

vckloong
Novice

Apr 27, 2008, 8:47 PM

Post #12 of 12 (12144 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zen] How to make my current dog accept a new dog in the family? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Dog behavioural problems are sometimes worrisome.

If you guys need an expert or consultant's advice from the United States you can visit www.dogtrainster.com.

They have pretty good information there as well as certified consultants there to help you out.

Vincent
www.dogtrainster.com - Ultimate Resource and Tips for Dog Training
www.dogtrainster.com - Ultimate Resource and Tips for Dog Training

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my