Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Bad breath

ChaCha
Dog Kichi

Oct 5, 2005, 2:21 AM

Post #1 of 25 (2333 views)
Shortcut
Bad breath Can't Post

1. My doggie's breath is really smelly. wut can i do/use to reduce her bad breath?

2. are doggie toothpastes edible?
Cha Cha & Yuki's blog

The Animal Rescue Site
Golden Retriever Meetup

HELP! Cha Cha is MISSING!!

PSY
K9 Kaki

Oct 5, 2005, 5:03 AM

Post #2 of 25 (2306 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChaCha] Bad breath [In reply to] Can't Post

Try de-worming your dog.

chrisong
Doggyman

Oct 5, 2005, 5:25 AM

Post #3 of 25 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Have ur dog try Greenies before? It really work to freasher the breath and also reduce tartar buildupCool

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Oct 5, 2005, 4:57 PM

Post #4 of 25 (2292 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Bad breath [In reply to] Can't Post

Chris, the clinic in bandar puteri, puchong you go there before sell very cheap greenies.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

chrisong
Doggyman

Oct 5, 2005, 7:22 PM

Post #5 of 25 (2283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitconnie78] Bad breath [In reply to] Can't Post

How cheap???

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Oct 6, 2005, 4:44 PM

Post #6 of 25 (2265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Bad breath [In reply to] Can't Post

You go and check it out. Is very very cheap. Trust me.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

llchoong
Dog Kichi

Oct 8, 2005, 4:58 AM

Post #7 of 25 (2241 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitconnie78] Bad breath [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I would also want to know how cheap?

No point going so far and later find out that the price is only so-so.

Thx

supermutts
K9 Senior

Oct 11, 2005, 8:16 AM

Post #8 of 25 (2221 views)
Shortcut

Bad breath might also because of dental problems, tartar build-up,

check if the teeth are clean. Alot of owners don't/neglect to/don't know how to/not allow to brush their dog's teeth.

check out this site for more info.

http://www.dentalvet.com/

doggie toothpaste are safe for dogs n' cats. Look out for CET by Virbac. doggie toothpaste are far more expensive than our colgate.

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

chrisong
Doggyman

Oct 11, 2005, 5:24 PM

Post #9 of 25 (2211 views)
Shortcut
Re: [supermutts] Bad breath [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you that most dog owners don't really pay attention on their dog teethUnsure

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Oct 11, 2005, 7:54 PM

Post #10 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut
Re: [llchoong] Bad breath [In reply to] Can't Post

You can buy one big beg for around RM60 or less. One beg got around 30 or 40 pieces.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ;];]c_)

ChaCha
Dog Kichi

Oct 12, 2005, 1:20 AM

Post #11 of 25 (2194 views)
Shortcut

Thx for the infoSmile
Cha Cha & Yuki's blog

The Animal Rescue Site
Golden Retriever Meetup

HELP! Cha Cha is MISSING!!

khoo262
Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2005, 1:43 AM

Post #12 of 25 (2176 views)
Shortcut

should also feed your dog charcoal tablets (not the one you burn). Ask your vet. they will know.
finally..... khoo262 has come back to puppy.com

supermutts
K9 Senior

Oct 14, 2005, 5:50 AM

Post #13 of 25 (2169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [khoo262] Bad breath [In reply to] Can't Post

charcoal tabs are mainly for stomach problem like diarrhoea, human can also take it.

Don't Lost your dogs!!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 18, 2005, 10:08 AM

Post #14 of 25 (2162 views)
Shortcut

FIRST ~ check and make sure your dog's gums & teeth are in good condition. Clean teeth are white. If you see tartar build-up then take dog to vet for cleaning. Tartar is sign of bacterial build up which can cause bad breath.

SECOND ~ Make sure your dog has easy access to clean water. Not drinking also enough contributes to bad breath.

THIRD ~ Consider change in diet. Giving meaty bones is a easy & healthy way to keep your dog's teeth clean. Much easier and a lot better for your dog than trying to "brush" teeth etc.

As a short term measure while getting all the above underway ~ get some "Greenies" from a pet shop and give to your dog. A greeny is a "treat" that is formulated to help reduce bad breath - it works. But please remember, using Greenies is only short term measure and is not a permanent solution.

Cheers

supermutts
K9 Senior

Oct 18, 2005, 6:04 PM

Post #15 of 25 (2154 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Bad breath [In reply to] Can't Post

THIRD ~ Giving meaty bones is a easy & healthy way to keep your dog's teeth clean. Much easier and a lot better for your dog than trying to "brush" teeth etc.

many owners think tht by just giving meaty bones is good enuff. brushing is still the best. easier.. huh....
dogs don't use all their teeth while eating, n' local vets usually don't care about dental conditions, as long as they scale it clean tht is all, whether the dog has gingivitis, periodontitis.. they don't care......

Don't Lost your dogs!!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 20, 2005, 7:42 PM

Post #16 of 25 (2134 views)
Shortcut

Brush teeth or give bones??? - We give our dogs meaty bones on a regular basis - and we find that it works well. Quite often, the initial reaction of most people who start giving meaty bones to their dogs is - "WAAHH ... teeth so clean ar."

But we also have friends who dutifully brush their dogs' teeth every evening ... Smile

Ultimately it's a question of personal experience, choice & opinion, but what the heck! - who is to say you cannot do both - and have dog with the cleanest teeth in town ... Smile

Gingivitis & periodontitis are mouth infections that affect the gums, and sometimes in serious cases, can cause bone degeneration. But fortunately most are quite easily treatable and can be cured, with proper medication & nutrition.

There are good & bad vets, just like in every profession ~ if your vet does not care ... then its time to find a new vet who does.

Cheers

supermutts
K9 Senior

Oct 20, 2005, 8:23 PM

Post #17 of 25 (2133 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Ultimately it's a question of personal experience, choice & opinion, but what the heck! - who is to say you cannot do both - and have dog with the cleanest teeth in town ... Smile

Gingivitis & periodontitis are mouth infections that affect the gums, and sometimes in serious cases, can cause bone degeneration. But fortunately most are quite easily treatable and can be cured, with proper medication & nutrition.

There are good & bad vets, just like in every profession ~ if your vet does not care ... then its time to find a new vet who does.

Cheers

Frown
yes its up to the owners, but ur earlier statement makes its sounds like by giving bones alone can clean the teeth perfectly well, this will make other owners think, oh its alright to do that. Shocked

most owners can't see the last 2 molars , they just lift the lips n' see the canine and premolar, wah so clean ar....Frown
Dental disease are not as simple, if under the gums there is infection, u can't see it, teeth looks clean still,ur dog can't tell u tht there is pain there, vet dun care, owner prob don't either,not many willing to pay for x-ray on teeth. and ur dog is suffering in silence, infection is poisoning the blood, spoiling the liver n' kidney.

I've been to all those recommended experience vets in KL PJ Cheras,
all have their own good points, none are satisfactory over all.

Dental products that are proven effective by world vet organisations such as WSAVA are not available here. vets can easily educate owners on the usage of these to keep their pets healthy, but they know majority don't care about dental health, so no need lor...... Frown

Don't Lost your dogs!!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 21, 2005, 9:43 PM

Post #18 of 25 (2112 views)
Shortcut

Think the average responsible dog person should be given a little more credit. Presuming that "most" owners cannot, do not know or cannot learn how to check their dogs' gums & teeth, may be presuming too much.

You wrote: " ... but ur earlier statement makes its sounds like by giving bones alone can clean the teeth perfectly well, this will make other owners think, oh its alright to do that ..."

I (like many others in this forum) have fed meaty bones for years ... My information is first-hand ... I feed meaty bones & my dogs have clean teeth & healthy gums with minimal tartar build up. I also feed meaty bones to rescue dogs, suffering heavy tartar build-up because of neglect - and yes, the rescue dogs also end up with cleaner teeth & better gums.

And so yes, I do think its alright to give meaty bones as a method of helping our dogs keep clean teeth & healthy gums.

You also wrote: " ... Dental disease are not as simple, if under the gums there is infection, u can't see it, teeth looks clean still,ur dog can't tell u tht there is pain there ..."

I suggest you read my earlier post, which I repeat below:

FIRST
~ Check and make sure your dog's gums & teeth are in good condition. Clean teeth are white. If you see tartar build-up then take dog to vet for cleaning. Tartar is sign of bacterial build up which can cause bad breath.

SECOND ~ Make sure your dog has easy access to clean water. Not drinking also enough contributes to bad breath.

THIRD ~ Consider change in diet. Giving meaty bones is a easy & healthy way to keep your dog's teeth clean. Much easier and a lot better for your dog than trying to "brush" teeth etc.

The first point calls for checking of gums & teeth ~ and if necessary, taking dog to vet for check-up. I do not suggest that dog owners should self-treat cases of oral infection.

The third point suggests the giving meaty bones as a means of keeping dogs' teeth clean. BUT I do not suggest that giving meaty bones will CURE any existing dental, oral or gum disease or infection!!! ... The distinction is apparent & important.

As for WSAVA ... you write: "... Dental products that are proven effective by world vet organisations such as WSAVA ..."

As far as I know WSAVA does not "prove" anything - WSAVA is primarily an association for the exchange & dissemination of small animal veterinary data & information. WSAVA convenes & conducts conferences, they even give awards for outstanding achievements in research etc ... WSAVA may set/recommend veterinary statements & protocal ... but WSAVA is not itself a "research or proving" body.

Are you sure that WSAVA proves, endorses or sponsors any particular product?

Cheers Tongue

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Oct 21, 2005, 9:45 PM)

supermutts
K9 Senior

Oct 21, 2005, 11:02 PM

Post #19 of 25 (2104 views)
Shortcut

Frown
I'm pointing to this statement of yours.. in ur first post.

.."Much easier and a lot better for your dog than trying to "brush" teeth etc... "

i know ur meaning is ..."Giving meaty bones is a easy & healthy way to keep your dog's teeth clean..."

i'm just concerned that for those newbie dog owners they will think that ..oh it is easy.... so no need to try brushing, since it's easy n' "better" than brushing.

that is all.

Good that u have written a long reply to clarify,so others will understand after they have read it. Frown

i have never said/meant tht u ....suggest that giving meaty bones will CURE any existing dental, oral or gum disease or infection!!! ...

as for the dental product, yes my mistake. Frown

A research had been conducted on the product and the findings presented in the 2001 WSAVA world congress,concluding that the product is effective in reducing plaque accumulation.

i never said that WSAVA ..."endorses or sponsors any particular product"

my major concern is only on statements tht are kinda misleading, not to me, but to new furball owners. They might interpret it wrongly.

The percentage of owners who do not know how to take care of their charge is much much more than those who knows. not e'one is like u.
i can assume that almost all forumers here are well informed, but they only represent a small fraction of owners out there.

Don't Lost your dogs!!

(This post was edited by supermutts on Oct 21, 2005, 11:17 PM)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 23, 2005, 7:17 AM

Post #20 of 25 (2087 views)
Shortcut

There is no miscommunication or misleading on my part ... because I do think that giving meaty bones is easier & better than brushing ... If you give your dog meaty bones regularly, I find there is no need to do brushing.

Cheers

supermutts
K9 Senior

Oct 24, 2005, 2:58 AM

Post #21 of 25 (2074 views)
Shortcut

yeah right, just like Dr. Billinghurst admittedly has never done any studies on wolves or wild dogs and thinks tht they have clean teeth and healthy life in the wild....... don't think he even watches National Geographic.

Don't Lost your dogs!!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 24, 2005, 10:06 AM

Post #22 of 25 (2063 views)
Shortcut

You are quite amazing ... Tongue ...

First, you assume that "most" members of this forum do not know or are incapable of learning how to examine teeth & gums ... then you assume that WSAVA is some sort of research body and/or "proves" specific products ... now you assume that Dr Billinghurst does not watch National Geographic ... ShockedCrazy ...

I am not even sure if you have ever read Dr Billinghurst's books ... or whether you have tried BARFing or giving your dogs meaty bones ... but nevermind.

Because this thread is NOT A DISCUSSION or ABOUT BARFing ~ it is also not a discussion on the diet of domestic dogs vs. wild dogs or wolves ... this is not even a discussion as to whether wild dogs or wolves lead healthier or longer lives than domestic dogs ... or which sub-specie has cleaner teeth.

This is simply a thread where a member asked about "bad breath" ... and how we can help keep our dog's teeth clean so as to minimise incident of doggie bad breath ...

I suggested giving meaty bones but you prefer brushing ... so ok ~ no big deal neh?

Cheers Smile

supermutts
K9 Senior

Oct 24, 2005, 7:49 PM

Post #23 of 25 (2053 views)
Shortcut

it seems u can't read and understand properly.

i said most dog owners, not most dog owners "in this forum".

i have already clarify the WSAVA and dental product issue.

im not trying to start a discussion about BARFing, etc etc.

i'm saying that you are like Dr Billinghurst 12 years ago when he wrote tht book, telling ppl tht our domesticated dog should have a diet like the wolfs in the wild, you are telling ppl don't have to brush, give meaty bones is enuff.

yes i have read tht book way back in 95, in the library.

end of discussion , no big deal.

Don't Lost your dogs!!

a_evie
Doggyman

Oct 27, 2005, 1:53 AM

Post #24 of 25 (2032 views)
Shortcut

ah...meaty bones.

they do help in cleaning teeth. our 2 year old girl has been on barf the last 18 months, and she has a wonderful set of clean white pearlies to show off.

similarly with our rescued kiddos and senior furkids at home. we give them meaty bones regularly...and they do have nice clean teeth now (nice breath too).

comparatively, when they were on kibbles and yes we dutifully brushed their teeth at least once a week...we could not avoid d doggie breath that can be rather dreadful sometimes. so we had to resort to scaling sessions.

these days after including meaty bones in their diet, scalling and bad breath is a matter of the past.

greenies can help too...but really its just a temporary thingy. brushing will help...but many owners find it hard to handle brushing d furkids' teeth. so to make it easier for all and (yummy for d furkids) meaty bones is really a good option.

(This post was edited by a_evie on Oct 27, 2005, 1:58 AM)

boon
Doggyman

Oct 27, 2005, 5:09 PM

Post #25 of 25 (2014 views)
Shortcut

again and your point is ?

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my