Is obedience training needed?

Jackal6628
Novice

Sep 27, 2005, 6:25 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1025 views)
Shortcut
Is obedience training needed? Can't Post

Hello

I would like to find out if my 4 mths old MS already knows :- sit, down, stay, hand and heel (train by myself), is it necessary to go through obedience training? Smile

What exactly the training train the little dog beside the above commands? If really help, I would like to sign up.

Please advise.

Jackal

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 3, 2005, 8:15 PM

Post #2 of 4 (983 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jackal6628] Is obedience training needed? [In reply to] Can't Post

the OB training is to train ur dog for the above command that u had mentioned.... n Recall

if ur dog can walk nicely without pulling his leash....then u can enjoy ur daily walk wit him then....

so is not necessary to join the training....

but if u r interested to enter n compete in d OB Trial....2 earn a title for ur dog or merely just to participate wit ur dog in more competition for the sake of fun.....

then u could go n have a look during the OB Trial....2 c what the judge expect n how's d procedure.....

if u r confident that ur dog can do it....then GO for it.....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Oct 3, 2005, 8:16 PM)

Jackal6628
Novice

Oct 4, 2005, 5:18 PM

Post #3 of 4 (969 views)
Shortcut

Thank you, I will try to go for a look of how the training looks like.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Oct 5, 2005, 4:57 AM

Post #4 of 4 (956 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

OB training, is a dog that will behave on command eg, a good heel (means leash is loose and walk by your side, left side, head just in front if not ideally where your knee is) Turn left and turn right when you do, when you stop it goes to automatic sit, down when told. You may not think it is required but imagine walking your dog thru a crowd and your dog just walk and not caring about the crowd, ideal behaviour. Then at times in certian places, you can even walk your dog off leash and it stays at your side not even chasing a cat when the cat crosses your path, now that is great. As for competition, if you can attain the standard you will be great. As far as I know the standard here in Malaysia is rather pathetic compared to Singapore. Take a real hard look at the demo dogs if you can get to and then decide. When a command is given it should be given once not all the time or double command. Check things out there are places who can do it really well but so far not the so call popular ones.

A 4 months old pup is really too young to do much, what you have done is fine. Pups do get stress out very fast, max 10 to 15 minutes so if you enrol it would be a waste of money as the trainer can only work with your dog for two session in an hour.

Now is the time for you to look around till your pup is at least 6 months old.

(This post was edited by PSY on Oct 5, 2005, 5:01 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my